Help regarding HOT SPOTS??

Genlo

Good day

I am a fairly new guy to this sport, only started early last year. I do struggle with hot spots especially on hot days and long rides more than 40km. I have asked many local bike shops for assistance but I have tried them all, from moving my cleats forward and backwards and buying speed play pedals but the problem still exists. Some experts say its because of my calluses, is that possible?

Any ideas how I can avoid going through that pain and discomfort during a race? Sometimes it becomes so bad that I need to throw water in my shoes to avoid the hot spots.

Any other things I can take into consideration?

Your help in this regard will be highly appreciated.

regards

Genlo

Where are these hot spots, on the balls of your feet? Hot spots usually boil down to too much pressure on that specific area, and the fact that you have calluses verifies that! You may have underlying "bone" issues, my wife used to have severe hotspots from bunions, but all good after a op, no more calluses either!

Where are these hot spots, on the balls of your feet? Hot spots usually boil down to too much pressure on that specific area, and the fact that you have calluses verifies that! You may have underlying "bone" issues, my wife used to have severe hotspots from bunions, but all good after a op, no more calluses either!

Super J, yes exactly there but must also say on Saturday I had severe pains in my big toe, ®. An op is not an option right now so I am looking at an easier way to kill the pain. What`s your thoughts about thicker cycling socks or inner soles?

Make sure your shoes are not too tight. You may be cramping your feet for space and adding inner soles and thick socks will just make it worse.

i got some cork gasket paper from a motor spares shop, cut out an insert for my shoe, put it underneath the shoes inner.  No more problems after that

This is due to continued pressure on the ball of your feet. The burning sensation is actually not heat but stressed nerves due to continuous pressure. This usually happens on hot days when your feet swell due to the heat. The swollen feet means more pressure where the cleat attaches to the shoe.

Wearing winter socks in summer would exaggerate the issue. Make sure your shoes are not too tight and that you wear thin socks that allow your feet to "breathe".

Also had this problem, changed shoes and inner soles and problem gone.  Oh, and also lost 12kg and trained much longer distances.  Conditioning helps.

As been mentioned before, the foot swells with blood flow / gravity at work

Adjust the buckle of your shoe to compensate

I'd also try another shoe hey

Sometimes, like saddles, a manufacturer choice is better than others

Finally, how big are those calluses?

Enough to really screw up your shoe fit?

Guest Frail4Life

Good day

I am a fairly new guy to this sport, only started early last year. I do struggle with hot spots especially on hot days and long rides more than 40km. I have asked many local bike shops for assistance but I have tried them all, from moving my cleats forward and backwards and buying speed play pedals but the problem still exists. Some experts say its because of my calluses, is that possible?

Any ideas how I can avoid going through that pain and discomfort during a race? Sometimes it becomes so bad that I need to throw water in my shoes to avoid the hot spots.

Any other things I can take into consideration?

Your help in this regard will be highly appreciated.

regards

Genlo

Hello Genlo

Do you suffer from blood circulation?

I got the same issue.

I pushed my cleats right to back.

I also find the pressure gets so bad because one tends to PUSH DOWN, too much.

Try get into a rythym, pushing and pulling the pedals.

This is due to continued pressure on the ball of your feet. The burning sensation is actually not heat but stressed nerves due to continuous pressure. This usually happens on hot days when your feet swell due to the heat. The swollen feet means more pressure where the cleat attaches to the shoe.

Wearing winter socks in summer would exaggerate the issue. Make sure your shoes are not too tight and that you wear thin socks that allow your feet to "breathe".

+1

I made the mistake of making my shoe too tight once!. I had hot spots on the ball of my foot where the cleat is and also on the side of my foot. I could hardly walk after my ride.

Haven't had the Issue again , I just make sure my shoe is not Too tight.

Thanks for all the help, dont have any problems with blood circulation, the areas on both feet are not that big(the size of your limb of your thumb, if that make any sense) my shoes are also so loose that sometimes during a race i just tighten the upper strap.

I also use a very thin sock nowadays but still have problems. thx for all your help i will def. Try a bit of your inputs, maybe new shoes will not be a bad idea.

Thanks for all the help, dont have any problems with blood circulation, the areas on both feet are not that big(the size of your limb of your thumb, if that make any sense) my shoes are also so loose that sometimes during a race i just tighten the upper strap.

I also use a very thin sock nowadays but still have problems. thx for all your help i will def. Try a bit of your inputs, maybe new shoes will not be a bad idea.

Where are the calluses and is that where you feel the hot spot or pain (you mentioned the big toe)?

Cant say if u have the same problem as i do but its possible that you have a dropped metatarsal head resulting in increased pressure / nerve truama which can cause severe refered pain (usually in one or more toes) See the pic below for the location of the metatarsal heads and the linked article for more info.

post-182-0-81416000-1414589361_thumb.png

http://www.ourhealthnetwork.com/conditions/FootandAnkle/Metatarsalgia.asp

For years I battled with this issue and the only thing that helped was to move my cleats far back, further than the standard cleat slots allow which i achieved by elongating the holes in the soles of my shoes allowing the cleats to move an additional +/- 12.5 mm rearwards. See pic of my shoe sole. Using a Time Atac pedal and cleat simplifies this procedure as it would be quite difficult to do with your standard 3 bolt wider type cleat (look).

post-182-0-16404300-1414589489_thumb.jpg

Guest Frail4Life

Where are the calluses and is that where you feel the hot spot or pain (you mentioned the big toe)? Cant say if u have the same problem as i do but its possible that you have a dropped metatarsal head resulting in increased pressure / nerve truama which can cause severe refered pain (usually in one or more toes) See the pic below for the location of the metatarsal heads and the linked article for more info. attachicon.gif2014-10-29_1423.png http://www.ourhealthnetwork.com/conditions/FootandAnkle/Metatarsalgia.asp For years I battled with this issue and the only thing that helped was to move my cleats far back, further than the standard cleat slots allow which i achieved by elongating the holes in the soles of my shoes allowing the cleats to move an additional +/- 12.5 mm rearwards. See pic of my shoe sole. Using a Time Atac pedal and cleat simplifies this procedure as it would be quite difficult to do with your standard 3 bolt wider type cleat (look). attachicon.gifIMG_0940.JPG

That seems to be my problem.

Middle toe's internal rear joint is enlarged on both feet.

Too much time in one position, kills me.