The 36One MTB Challenge

TrailWarrior

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We did the 36one this year, myself and a friend and his girlfriend, and we were the last group in. Mark went out ahead and did it faster than us.  No shame in saying that we were the last group in. We rode as individuals, but stuck together as a team. Our goal became to get the lady home.

It is a mental challenge. Your body can do it.

It was fun. Our experience we gained was amazing.

The checkpoints are next level, the waterpoints are out of this world.

The organization was best we have seen.

we rode 29hrs. of which was 22 moving.

you must decided from the word go, race or fun! the racing is hard and long, the fun is enjoying your time and surroundings.

We were in the middle of karoo, turned lights off just before moon came up and you could bearly see your hand infront of your face.

once moon was up, you could ride without lights it was so bright.

so yes each person had a different experience depending on your pace.

the scenery is amazing!

will do it in 2016 again! ironman next year!

Can remember you guys,the lady was quite spent,at least you guys got some nice wine out of the deal.

Our longest ride in Prep was 5 hours,did high intensity as well. Spent a lot of time building an endurance base.

Pacing yourself is key,to hit Rooiberg (13km climb) at about 240km not fun.

Be careful not to chase the relay riders it will hurt you as they go like the clappers.BIG FUN already entered for 2015,my riding partner.........my wife as it was in 2014

Gear ....what would the opinions be on doing 36One: on a 27.5(650B) Trance - full suspension bike? or Anthem X 29er - full suspension? or hard-tail 29er?..... (If you just aiming for a finish)

T.I.T.S - Time In The Saddle.

While not as tough as Baviaans, (that's like saying lethal injection is better than a firing squad - ultimately the same result) the 36One is a tough ride. But an amazing one.

I can't really offer a magic recipe on how to ride this thing - whatever works for you. And the truth is that whatever works for you will stop working after 250kms and you'll have to figure out the new thing that works for you. For me that was date balls and GI32 that the organisers provided. My usual race snacks and juice lost their appeal very early on.

I think the usual rules apply though - don't start to fast, don't chase wheels, eat and drink before you get into trouble, try to enjoy the ride.

We did it on hard tails last year, and I towards the end my bum was a little tender, but I think that's going to happen no matter what. It's not a technical ride, so I don't think you need a dual suspension.

The cut off is more than generous, although the people rode who through two nights deserve a special award.

Definitely going to do it again - even after vowing not to as we crossed the line last year.

My race report from last year: The 36One Challenge - 2014

Everything as said above!

Pace yourself - do not think that Rooiberg is the last of your big problems! The piece from Calitzdorp next to the dam can also be a bit of a bitch! Then there are the continuous rollers up to the last water point...

Keep on eating and drinking.

Last year it got so hot that they considered taking the people off the course!

That being said, it does get a little cool in the early hours of the morning.

Make sure your lights work! Last year my friend's light packed up going over Rooiberg and he had to go down the other side with light from his cellphone!

Training was 1-2 hours every day during the week with 3-5 hours every day on the weekends. Your legs will be fine - it's your head that f.cks with you at 3am when it's just you and your lights...

Did it solo last year just under 15h, was broken (hit the wall) 3-4 times during the race.

If you used to mental and physical pain this race is for you.

Maybe going to give it another go in 2015.

Edited by jiggs

• 2 weeks later...

I have started doing some virtual training just to get a feel for the route. Did the first 60km on sunday.....the trainer is not so nice as you cant free those down hills!!  :blush: but nice to get a feel for those hills and grades. planning to ride 1 section a week.

My training is mostly long rides on the weekend, currently working myself up to 5 to 6 hour rides (with the odd 150km or so in one day on a weekend) and week days it is about 1.5 to 2 hours of indoor training.....hopefully that will get me to race fit!!  :wacko:

Did it solo last year just under 15h, was broken (hit the wall) 3-4 times during the race.

If you used to mental and physical pain this race is for you.

Maybe going to give it another go in 2015.

Is your comma in the right place Jean?

Any nutrition advice? What is the best to eat and drink, not keen to use the sweet stuff. 

Best is to stick to what you have been using and never try something new for this. Its only longer so eat a bit more than you'll normally eat and you'll be fine!

Any nutrition advice? What is the best to eat and drink, not keen to use the sweet stuff. 

Best is to stick to what you have been using and never try something new for this. Its only longer so eat a bit more than you'll normally eat and you'll be fine!

what he said,

if past experience is anything to go by, the dryland water tables are awesome (i don't like sweet stuff),

marmite sarmies 

Ostrich sosaties

Oranges

Potatoes

and the normal artificial race junk and sweet stuff

Thanks, had a look at your site as I am looking for a light. What would you suggest would be the best for an event like this and something I can use for training.

Can remember you guys,the lady was quite spent,at least you guys got some nice wine out of the deal.

Our longest ride in Prep was 5 hours,did high intensity as well. Spent a lot of time building an endurance base.

Pacing yourself is key,to hit Rooiberg (13km climb) at about 240km not fun.

Be careful not to chase the relay riders it will hurt you as they go like the clappers.BIG FUN already entered for 2015,my riding partner.........my wife as it was in 2014

Yes, she was pooooped

But was a awesome experience.

Thanks, had a look at your site as I am looking for a light. What would you suggest would be the best for an event like this and something I can use for training.

You don't really need the strongest light on the market, If the light is to bright it actually starts hurting your eyes! 900lm would be good, with a dim setting. you mainly need to decide on how long you going to ride and make sure your batteries can last. so 2 or 3 batteries is a must.

If it is full moon you don't even need a light. but I would not bargain on that.