The 36One MTB Challenge

TrailWarrior

I'm starting to doubt my sanity for this one, I always wanted to do it but never put in the training for it. I actually convinced myself this will be used as a training ride to get back into shape after a knee op in July last year & not being able to cycle a bike for like 5months. I've done a long ride of 180km in Jan, one or 2 more +100kms in February as well, last week Monday public holiday 143km tar & trails, then Saturday 163km also tar & road. The problem is I would do 1 long ride then take 3-4 days for recovery before the next long ride, so effectively only 2 long rides per week. I know for a fact when I line up in that start chute there is no holding back, the racing snake in me will take over, something I have no control over, I swear, it's not me. All of sudden a realistic goal of just finishing within 36 hours will fly out of the window, new target has already been revised to 20hours. What am I thinking????

P.S. The guy who started out lightning fast that you passed with 200km still to go will Be me, please feel free to laugh at your loudest & point. It will help teach me to stop doing that mistake in future events when under prepared or even fully prepared. #theshitisabouttogetreal!!!

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of interest, How long a rest would you normally take at each leg before carrying on again?

Don't rest.

The faster you Finish, the faster you can enjoy the ice cold beer at the end and watch the guys coming in looking crap.. :ph34r:  :whistling:

Anyone keen for a nice Training ride the wednesday. Dont know the area so im afraid of getting lost  :whistling:

Anyone keen for a nice Training ride the wednesday. Dont know the area so im afraid of getting lost  :whistling:

We need an hour can always talk

I'm starting to doubt my sanity for this one, I always wanted to do it but never put in the training for it. I actually convinced myself this will be used as a training ride to get back into shape after a knee op in July last year & not being able to cycle a bike for like 5months. I've done a long ride of 180km in Jan, one or 2 more +100kms in February as well, last week Monday public holiday 143km tar & trails, then Saturday 163km also tar & road. The problem is I would do 1 long ride then take 3-4 days for recovery before the next long ride, so effectively only 2 long rides per week. I know for a fact when I line up in that start chute there is no holding back, the racing snake in me will take over, something I have no control over, I swear, it's not me. All of sudden a realistic goal of just finishing within 36 hours will fly out of the window, new target has already been revised to 20hours. What am I thinking????

P.S. The guy who started out lightning fast that you passed with 200km still to go will Be me, please feel free to laugh at your loudest & point. It will help teach me to stop doing that mistake in future events when under prepared or even fully prepared. #theshitisabouttogetreal!!!

I can relate to your frustration. I for the last couple of days have been doing mind preparation. "Will not start fast or follow the crowd the first 36km. I WILL NOT". Hope its work??

How many Tolgates are there from PTA to Oudshoorn. I'm going to use the N1 never really drove that way, so i don't want to be shocked... :ph34r: :whistling:

Grasmere

Kroonvaal

Verkeerdevlei

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Yip the time is near I am also worried that may training is way to little as I have done no very long rides .90 k was the longest but lots of short ones .

I also have to keep telling myself ,,slow ,slow slow at the start .In the Atta,s I have done I try to ride on heart rate on the climbs.The zone is 145 to 150 when my hear rate hits that I just spin more.The idea is to go faster on the downs and flats.

is the dust a problem at night??? And do the guys also make bunches as they do in transbaviaans.

I find the more time you spend at stops just destroys your total time.If you need a quick rest rather on the trail.

the worst thing is to get caught in the start race sprint - there is a whole 361 one km to race and who ever races in the that first few km WILL feel it later ( unless you are in the run to win ) just stick to your strategy and keep going - it will be painful , you will want to quit , you will swear not to ever do this again and wonder what made you do it in the first place

but once you overcome all those mental barriers and you get into it the end is so sweet and you will be back again next year 

Woke up this morning and realised that on Friday evening the fun starts... can't believe it is here. Oh well, let's hope that training camp we did in March pays off  :w00t:

Also planning to do the "don't get caught up in the 32km/h train" at the start - c'mon willpower, do your thing!

To all the other riders - drive safe and see you at the start.

Edited by deonkretch

Packing done leaving for Oudtshoorn tomorrow morning at 03h00,please travel safe when you guys are leaving,lets see if we can meet at some stage. :thumbup: :eek:

I'll be leaving tonight at 00:00. 1600km to travel for me

Its has been good reading all the chirps, advice and helpfulness on this forum I started back in 2014.

It seems all are getting ready to ship out to the 'war zone from now until Friday. May the force be with all of you. Make sure you take all the ammo you need. Apply the strategies and have an awesome race!

I'll be shipping out to the 'battle field on Thursday morning!

Safe travel all!

:thumbup:

Edited by TrailWarrior

We need an hour can always talk

Has anything been planned for Wed ie time to ride and meeting place? I couldn't ride here at MZNP so am keen to join in a chilled ride and to meet all the peeps

I'll be leaving tonight at 00:00. 1600km to travel for me

Just like the MTB Event, you guys don't do things in half measures .. Travel safe