The 36One MTB Challenge

TrailWarrior

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still looking for a lift with someone i'll contribute towards petrol or we can drive up in my car & we share fuel costs, anyone please?

What is the battery life time on your normal Cree lights ,,will 2 batteries go through the night if I run on the second setting

What is the battery life time on your normal Cree lights ,,will 2 batteries go through the night if I run on the second setting

Best to get a 8volt (think) double battery. There will be some sections at night where you can do with a bit more light. Two of those and you will have no worries. Struggling to find any of them for sale. Sportsworld use to stock them. Don't forget a torch or a beetlelight as well. Very handy in the middle of the freezing Karoo nights

Anyone have an update on the weather expected as well as the moon?

Will we have moonlight this year?

I did a quick look on the net, and it seems like its going to be a 1/4 moon. But don't take my word for it. :whistling:

I read Oudshoorn got some heavy rains last week, hope we have some awesome weather...

How many km's and accent did everyone do from Jan up until Now?

Edited by Lexx

I did a quick look on the net, and it seems like its going to be a 1/4 moon. But don't take my word for it. :whistling:

I read Oudshoorn got some heavy rains last week, hope we have some awesome weather...

Awesome Lexx, thanks...

1/4 moon means make sure you have light.

2 years ago it was a heatwave..Rooiberg was recorded @ 42.2degrees.

Last year was rain and cold..

This year seems to be heading the same way as last years weather.

How many km's and accent...ya..alot!!

One more weekend at Breedts Nek and i will be humble enough to say im ready to ride the 36one again!

Good luck to everyone going into there last week of hard training!

Everyone will have different aspects of this question on training efforts. We all have different goals. Last year with plenty on my plate of a personal nature, my training which was fair, was below par and I bombed out badly at 36One - but I had also gone in with the attitude that we will see how far I'll get. My heart & mind wasn't in it totally on an honest note in 2015.

Lets just say my training thus far on distance has increased by 64% off last year, 69% increase in ascent and my body has worked hard at an increase of 90% in calories and burn rate. Lost 9kgs in the process and feeling good. My biggest single training day was 205km solo in 9hrs 45min but okay...only with 2070m of ascent. I have done a couple of 100's and a lot of night riding. Lets not forget some core body work as well.  :thumbup:

The 36One is a mind game as much as it is physical.

2396ks and 40270m climbing since 1 Jan.

Hopefully I have done enough to go sub 20hrs (That is my goal)

you going solo or riding with Fjord?

you okes make me naar with all the riding you are doing.

Im also hoping o go under 20h, but anything can happen. Just want to enjoy it..

What's the best way for your family and friends to track you?

BUMP: in case anyone's circumstances has changed since my last post or original request was missed & sorry for being such a nag.

But has anyone got space for 1+bike to this even t& back? Thanks.

The 36One is a mind game as much as it is physical.

After 180kms, it's only a mind game. Your body will make it as long as you take on regular snacks and supplies. You will have found a pace and rhythm that works for you. It's just a matter of keeping your brain under control.

Fool your brain. Set mini targets. Don't think of the big distance. Water point to water point. I don't even look at my Garmin while it's dark. Ride on feel.

3 weeks to go and I'm suffering from some crazy self doubt!