The 36One MTB Challenge

TrailWarrior

After 180kms, it's only a mind game. Your body will make it as long as you take on regular snacks and supplies. You will have found a pace and rhythm that works for you. It's just a matter of keeping your brain under control.

Fool your brain. Set mini targets. Don't think of the big distance. Water point to water point. I don't even look at my Garmin while it's dark. Ride on feel.

3 weeks to go and I'm suffering from some crazy self doubt!

I think the toughest part is the last 80km , but make your mind up when you start that you will finish no matter what and then you will - if you have any inclination to give up or think about a possible excuse to stop then you will use it when your tired - take breaks - rest but make a decision to finish and then make your way to the end - every km is one closer to the end - unless of course aliens extract you - thats a valid exuse

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the advice and tips I have received via this Forum have been awesome! I am now terribly nervous with only a few weeks to go before my first 360 one!! I know I have done the training (I think!).... but when your friends keep telling you 'you are insane' and asking the same question over and over 'WHY??"  I quietly question my sanity!  but I am very determined and only see a finish as an option! just hoping the weather plays along! role on D Day!

the advice and tips I have received via this Forum have been awesome! I am now terribly nervous with only a few weeks to go before my first 360 one!! I know I have done the training (I think!).... but when your friends keep telling you 'you are insane' and asking the same question over and over 'WHY??"  I quietly question my sanity!  but I am very determined and only see a finish as an option! just hoping the weather plays along! role on D Day!

and once your have done it then you will know WHY and they will never know unless they do it

yes also worried about training but I have also learned that I tend to overtrain.I don't enjoy those 4'5 hour slow rides on the Mounty.

so 8 have been riding shorter really high intensity and some xc,we will see on the day

but it is my first one so going to go out super rustig,even the local okes on their Hummbers with all the trimmings will drop me as they make their way from the shabeen.

I re-set my trip meter, and ride from water point to water point.

I try not to think past the next water point.

Good tip!!  :thumbup:

Anyone know how do you recharge a garmin edge 500 while you on the go or during the race?

You need to google it (there's a good video of a fix I saw), but from I remember there is a pin on the charging cable that switches it off when plugged in and you need to take it out/do something to that pin so that it won't switch off.

Anyone know how do you recharge a garmin edge 500 while you on the go or during the race?

its got 20 hours of battery life - juts ride fast

I will use my Garmin 510, Until I get like a 5 or 2% warning, then I will switch over to my cellphone that has strava on.

I will use my Garmin 510, Until I get like a 5 or 2% warning, then I will switch over to my cellphone that has strava on.

take a battery pack, plug the garmin in and keep going

my Garmin recognises that it is not a pc and stays on when plugged into a wall charger or battery bank.

I raised this question in 2014 on this forum and got some answers: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/144531-the-36one-mtb-challenge/page-3

You need an OTG cable. (On The Go) cable. I could never find one but some guys do a DIY and it seems to work. Since then I have obtained a Garmin 520 and powers/charges while it is still on.

Good luck!  :thumbup:

I raised this question in 2014 on this forum and got some answers: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/144531-the-36one-mtb-challenge/page-3

You need an OTG cable. (On The Go) cable. I could never find one but some guys do a DIY and it seems to work. Since then I have obtained a Garmin 520 and powers/charges while it is still on.

Good luck! :thumbup:

yeah I saw thanks. All I had to do was scroll to page 3 or 4 of this thread.