The 36One MTB Challenge

TrailWarrior

I am Planning to do my 8-9h Long Night Ride Come Thursday evening starting at 23:00-00:00, the again a Long 140km+ ride on Saturday morning.

Will be quit an experience riding in the darkness. but kinda excited and nervous at he same time..

Other than morning rides before work that start in the dark, the last dark ride was the stretch from the top of Ouberg to Sutherland during the Trans Karoo.

I rode alone the whole stretch with only occasional sighting of other lights.

It was lovely, a pool of light in front of me and nothing to distract from the riding experience. I treasure that memory. .

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am Planning to do my 8-9h Long Night Ride Come Thursday evening starting at 23:00-00:00, the again a Long 140km+ ride on Saturday morning.

Will be quit an experience riding in the darkness. but kinda excited and nervous at he same time..

That is insane. How much time do you have to do that?!?

I'll be lucky if I can get in a 3 to 4hr night ride. We have hit our long overdue raining season. I'm keen to test my lights med setting so will need to get my a into g and sort that out.

GLW the long ride

That is insane. How much time do you have to do that?!?

I'll be lucky if I can get in a 3 to 4hr night ride. We have hit our long overdue raining season. I'm keen to test my lights med setting so will need to get my a into g and sort that out.

GLW the long ride

Lucky im off from Thursday, so I can do a 220km+ ride. I Will take 2 lights. one for a back-up, because i dont know how long they will last, lol

I would also rest at Calitzdorp after Rooiberg. The stage from Calitzdorp to Oudtshoorn is very tough, make no mistake, especially when it is hot. Rest up, have some beef sosaties on roosterkoek and a few cokes and you'll be good to go. I slept so deeply that some of the people thought I'd gone into a coma or something! 

Roosterkoek!!!!!!!! The best part...mmmmmm:)

any first timers from GP going down? think we could form a GP gang and rule the place.

Edited by VicanZA

Isn't there any camping left?

I called them and they said everything at Kleinplaas is full. Will have to start looking somewhere else in Oudtshoorn.

I called them and they said everything at Kleinplaas is full. Will have to start looking somewhere else in Oudtshoorn.

Ah no that sucks..

Try De OUE Werf very reasonable

any first timers from GP going down? think we could form a GP gang and rule the place.

:whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok so let's  be seriaas how is the training going?? Lex did you do your night ride?

It went pretty Good. Wifey Complained because i had to cycle all by my lonesome self, but i must say, was a bit afraid at first, but it was very quiet, and your eyes seems to adapt to the dark pretty fast. And it was such an awesome experience. Just you and your bike and the stars, well was stars for about 1 Hour, then it started raining the whole damn time, it def isn't fun riding for almost 10hours in wet clothes :whistling: . Did a 223km night/morning Ride, then Saturday a 70km and to end off the Weekend, a 132km ride. Must say, my ass did feel a little bit tender Sunday Afternoon.  :whistling:

But i feel pretty good atm. 

Dont worry, us Plaasies, will also be well represented  :ph34r:  :whistling:

All the climbing is my biggest concern. The stretch leading up to Rooiberg, as well as the final stage is immense. My knees were screaming at me last year. Focusing less on distance,but more on strength training.There is no winning recipe for this race.

Did a 201km on Saturday. Only 2100m of climbing though but the emphasis was go long and strength. Only 2hrs in the dark though. (But I spend around 2hrs every morning in the dark lately) Would have liked to have done another 160 on Sunday but with the missus birthday....we all know the possible outcome you miss that one! A long ride like these can boost the mindset. It went well. Felt good! Still some final work to be done.....next 2 weekends tricky with family visiting.. :wacko: ....(I guess, ride when they sleep and catch a nap in the day - sleep deprivation training. Lol :clap: )