[Event] 2015 Ashburton Investments NATIONAL MTB SERIES #4 Van Gaalen

WesselvdWalt

Im going to do the marathon on my Rigid Single Speed. Anyone have advise on what ratio will be best? My first ride at Van Gaalens

I normally ride VG with 32 18, but i do a fair bit of walking up the marbles after concrete strips. Rest of the ride will be manageable with that ratio, but you may want to hook into the back of a bunch on the dirt road sections.

If you gear for the climbs on this route, you will end up,spinning your head off the rest of the ride on the dirt roads.

Be wary of the downhill after pofadder ( if this is part of the route) on the rigid, its tricky, and line selection is important.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

115km Ultra Marathon

Men 19+

75km Marathon 

Women 19+

Sub Vet Women

Sub Vet Men

Vet Women

Vet Men

Master Men

40km Half Marathon

Junior Men 

Junior Women

Youth Men

Youth Women

Master Women

Grand Master Men

Grand Master Women

Apologies, the different age groups didn't even cross my mind...

Im going to do the marathon on my Rigid Single Speed. Anyone have advise on what ratio will be best? My first ride at Van Gaalens

Snapped my rear derailleur cable 2 years back when this was still part of the Nissan series. Rode 70% of the route single speed, obviously not by choice. Gained a new respect that day for you SS folk. It was a long and adrduous day. You're a special bunch of crazies.

Have a great ride.

I normally ride VG with 32 18, but i do a fair bit of walking up the marbles after concrete strips. Rest of the ride will be manageable with that ratio, but you may want to hook into the back of a bunch on the dirt road sections.

If you gear for the climbs on this route, you will end up,spinning your head off the rest of the ride on the dirt roads.

Be wary of the downhill after pofadder ( if this is part of the route) on the rigid, its tricky, and line selection is important.

Thanks for the help. Im currently on 32 20. So it's going to be a spinfest

It looks like its going to be SUPER chilly on Saturday.. min 3, max 16 eina...

And Van Gaalens is always just a tad colder than the surrounds for some reason. And especially next to the river it'll be freezing. Won't be surprised if the temp dips below 0 early in the morning.

I remember sitting in the car, heater on, until 5 minutes before tmy start last year. At least it won't be a scorcher later on during the day.

When and where is registration?

The booklet thingy says

Torq Zone Cycles - Fri 10am-1pm

Van Gaalen - Fri 4pm-7pm & Sat 6am-9am

The booklet thingy says

Torq Zone Cycles - Fri 10am-1pm

Van Gaalen - Fri 4pm-7pm & Sat 6am-9am

Thanks. I couldn't access it on my work network...

Since we will most probably be making snot icicles...in swinning and running when the start is this cold we usually make a vest out of a plastic garbage bag and throw it away when you warm up or go into the water. Is this something cyclists do, have not really seen it before at events, and I do not want to wear warmer clothing because after the first climb I will be warmed up?

Does anyone have an idea on when the seeding will be out for the race?

should be today, latest tomorrow

I have come down with a flu virus and feel horrible... sadly no Van Gaalens for me this weekend.

Since we will most probably be making snot icicles...in swinning and running when the start is this cold we usually make a vest out of a plastic garbage bag and throw it away when you warm up or go into the water. Is this something cyclists do, have not really seen it before at events, and I do not want to wear warmer clothing because after the first climb I will be warmed up?

Stick a piece of newspaper between jersey and undershirt. Keeps wind off chest. Even the pros in Europe use this.

Archived