JSE Investing

Wayne Potgieter

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The market is so volatile...and SA's future doesnt seem bright with current affairs.

Growth has been declining...buy gold...but the rush might be over already for this year.

Stick your money under the matress safest there also no tax.  

Jokes aside if you have time most of the banks offer trading services where you can buy and sell stocks. You need the time !! Otherwise find a broker to do it for you but as usual there are no guarantees. Persoanally I like ETF's check them out carefully. There are really good ones but pay careful attention to the returns over various periods of time 3 months to last 5 years this will give you an idea how things go up and down. The magic question most of the time is when to get out.

Also you get tax free saving for up to R30000 a year. This includes investment in ETF's.

Edited by Seeker911

Gold doing EXCELLENT so to some fx pairs and some Indices making peoples very happy. Ek het vir jou gese Marius

Anyone playing on the SA Stock market, any tips in what to invest in?

Keep it in cash for now and earn 4-6% per year. You're out performing the Stock market by about 10%. Not just the local market but markets across the globe. Very very volatile. 

I'm a member of a small CC which uses PSG, fees wise Investec and Standard are the cheapest IMO.

The markets are taking a beating and I lost a good few $$$$$ in both my private and company portfolio. If you generated a positive alpha in Jan you must of been extremely lucky.

On the other hand one of my friend's trades on volatility and has made a killing, between 1 Oct - to date he invested 50k and has more than doubled since then.

Good read for "beginner investors"...

http://www.bdlive.co.za/opinion/columnists/2015/06/25/beginners-guide-to-investing-on-the-jse

I'd be interested to hear what more experienced investors than I think of this article?

Yes. This in particular. Stock picking is a dangerous game, and you would be well advised not to do it unless you have a LOT of experience in evaluating companies' financials the same way that, for example, Allan Gray / Coronation does with their 4 fund managers per fund and huuuuge research teams.

My advice is that retail investors should steer clear of individual company shares and rather take the cheap and easy sector and geographic diversification offered by exchange-traded products (an umbrella term for exchange-traded funds and exchange-traded notes).

Which, btw - I have started to do myself. Just small amounts, but yeah. Built up in a local investment first, until I have sufficient capital to buy enough units to overcome the minimum charges that these products normally have. 

On the other hand one of my friend's trades on volatility and has made a killing, between 1 Oct - to date he invested 50k and has more than doubled since then.

Yeha, you have to be on the ball all the time for that to happen though. Or set up automatic buy/sell alerts for your portfolio, and that requires software to do properly (AFAIK)

Yeha, you have to be on the ball all the time for that to happen though. Or set up automatic buy/sell alerts for your portfolio, and that requires software to do properly (AFAIK)

Not quite as complicated a you might think but it does require an understanding of CFD's (Contracts for a difference) and there are numerous courses that you can attend to help you on your way. Also there a number websites that allow you a demo period to test your knowledge "live".

Not quite as complicated a you might think but it does require an understanding of CFD's (Contracts for a difference) and there are numerous courses that you can attend to help you on your way. Also there a number websites that allow you a demo period to test your knowledge "live".

Oh, I know. But you need a good understanding of what you're doing! 

Otherwise it's like a blind man choosing what tie to wear...