Littering and PRO's

Guest Smimby

Why not just make a duct tape tether between the rip off part and the "body" of the sachet - that way when you rip it off it will stay on the Body of the sachet..

Like so

gu2.jpg

I like this on a few levels, great idea and also love the detailed schematic! ;)

It's probably a bit more expensive to manufacture so the manufacturers would need an incentive to do it.... Something like an environmental agency endorsement ect.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this on a few levels, great idea and also love the detailed schematic! ;)

It's probably a bit more expensive to manufacture so the manufacturers would need an incentive to do it.... Something like an environmental agency endorsement ect.

Just some retooling for the sachet and a little less waste for the packet, but the tether is in the area which is just cut off anyway - so shouldn't cost more im materials than they are already using - easy enough to do, and the basis of a great marketing campaign.... unless the triathlon guys or uci mandate it... :)

Each to his own - there are many ways to skin a cat, most often based on personal preference as we know.

Some of us prefer to race with water in our bottles and concentrated carbs in our pockets. I personally can't stand the taste of anything but plain water after a couple hours of riding. And I prefer water in my bottles so that I have the option of spraying my face/glasses or squirt a little down my neck on a hot day if I need to.

I like this alot as i find those energy drinks get so tacky and don't quench the thirst. What carbs do you use?

It's very easy and cheap to make your own energy gels and put the mixture in a small plastic bottle or tube which has a flip cap.

How do you make it?

Last night on Supersport I noticed one of the pro cyclist taking a Gu and biting the plastic top off and spitting it out then he eats the gu and put the packet back in his pocket.

That is still littering in my mind. This is not the first time I see it.

It seems to have become acceptable to tear of that little plastic bit and drop it?

It is PLASTIC not good for the environment or animals.

I also notice an increase in this habit ping the rest of the field. And DARE you say something, you get the F----off etc

I cant understand why he would spit it out when there is a perfectly good river to throw it into

Eish ! I see people every day walking around in the streets dropping one paper after the other.. I get so disappointed because they would argue not to pick it up and use a bin. Sure after a race some organisation go and pick up the empty packs. It has happened that a gu slip out one's hand and fall at times .. but jislike we have to do something.

Edited by Buns

No reason to drop a single piece of plastic. Tape to the top tube with insulation tape.

Tuck the used sachet in the end of your shorts leg. At the next water point, which will be cleaned, simply flick it out.

As for the complaint of a sticky sachet, you are not doing it properly. Use your teeth to force the gel out. GU normally takes three bites to get the gel completely empty. For the last one, fold the gel lengthwise. Gets every last drop out. Why waste the calories. Sachet is empty and clean. Tuck in your shorts leg.

It is not harder, it just takes the mind set to do it right. You never have to leave your racing position.

One or both of those solutions would definitely be the best resolution to this issue.

In all due respect to the OP, when you are riding in an *1* (elite peloton) *2* (with the gutter on one side and a cross wind on the other, where to place a piece of 1cm x 1cm plastic is not foremost on your mind...)

1. If you are in the "elite peloton" then you should have the skills to handle your bike

2. Don't take your GU then if you are in a situation like that, move over or out a little or create space for yourself. ...... if you have the presence of mind to take the GU out your pocket and bite off the tab, you can surely comprehend that it should not be spat out.

What amazes me the most in both cycle and running races are those who deliberately throw the plastic deep far off the road where no one will see it to pick it up..

Just mindless logic.

Those little sachets are so damn sticky.

And no matter how hard you suck on it you can't get all the gunk out.

And there is always a residue of sticky gunk left on the open end which sticks to your fingers, which then sticks to your brake levers which then sticks to your gear triggers...

And when you try put the empty back in your pocket, the sticky bloody thing welds on to your fingers as you pull your hand out of your pocket and then falls on the trail..... :(

Those little sachets are so damn sticky.

And no matter how hard you suck on it you can't get all the gunk out.

And there is always a residue of sticky gunk left on the open end which sticks to your fingers, which then sticks to your brake levers which then sticks to your gear triggers...

And when you try put the empty back in your pocket, the sticky bloody thing welds on to your fingers as you pull your hand out of your pocket and then falls on the trail..... :(

post-5403-0-44784200-1415793019_thumb.jpg

Hairy, your Avatar was obviously taken after a Gu stuck your tongue to your chin  :)  :D

Nah .... the after effects of too much coffee :P