Littering and PRO's

Guest Smimby

I know its wrong to drop that small end piece of a gu but often when im racing I drop one by mistake. They are tiny, normally slippy from your spit and the gu. Plus when you are hurtling along a piece of bumpy road with the wind blowing and bulky gloves on it is really easy to drop it. I never saw the incident but the pros are normally quite good with littering as they know how it reflects on their sponsors but at the same time if they accidentally drop something they don't have time to go and pick it up. Just my opinion.

100% understood if it is an accident, but this was on purpose.....

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate that if your a "pro" and you ride hard you might try and use the excuse of "I'm to focused to worrie about a little piece of plastic" but I'm sorry, that is NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!

If you can't be responsible while you ride then slow down, ride at the back of the group and pay more attention to what you do with your litter.

The majority of us manage to do it, so everyone should be able to.

Pro or not, this country is a pigsty and unless everyone of us starts changing out attitudes it is never going to change.

If you can't use GU responsibly, then you don't deserve to use it. Anyone seen littering on a ride or a race should be fined and banned from competing. Then you would see people starting to pay attention to what they do with their rubbish on a ride...

Having braved the elements and ridden the cradle MTB track this afternoon, I am disgusted by the amount of Tubes (7) and gel packets (+30) over a short 13km section.

Keep your rubbish and old tubes till a Rubbish Bin.

Having braved the elements and ridden the cradle MTB track this afternoon, I am disgusted by the amount of Tubes (7) and gel packets (+30) over a short 13km section.

Keep your rubbish and old tubes till a Rubbish Bin.

this is actually worse than the gu lids...do you know how many people ive "talked" "harsh" to who fix a puncture or something and throw their tube in the veld.  especially roadies. WTF are you thinking...seriously, what kind of brain fart did you have to think that this is acceptable.  their response, but i dont have space or its gonna mess up my jersey...tough sh!t

Some years ago, during the Honda 2 day Magalies race, a small gel sachet was dropped by a rider in the privately owned game reserve that the route went through. A rhino calf ate it and died a few days later.

Just a small gel sachet..................

The pro rider mentioned in this story, a member of the Kargo team, has no excuse. His failure to even try keep the gel tab under control is something his boss needs to address. Kargo is an extremely professional courier organisation and I cannot imagine the owner will condone this action by his young rider.

Rourke didn't spit that wrapper piece. Watched the footage today and it's still clearly attached to the rest of the sachet when he starts to suck on it.

Reminds me some years ago a then youngster some of you may remember Bryce Munro (still don't understand why such a talented well mannered young man gave up on cycling) raced a provincial at Rietvlei. I was taking photos at the very far end of the course and saw him come walking along and asked if he had lost something and his response was 'no I dropped an empty gel sachet somewhere here and I'm coming to pick it up' - class right there!

I never saw the footage, which race was it & who is going to report it to the race organiser to see how serious they are, when doing that race briefing about "no littering, you will be dq'ed" ??

Reminds me some years ago a then youngster some of you may remember Bryce Munro (still don't understand why such a talented well mannered young man gave up on cycling) raced a provincial at Rietvlei. I was taking photos at the very far end of the course and saw him come walking along and asked if he had lost something and his response was 'no I dropped an empty gel sachet somewhere here and I'm coming to pick it up' - class right there!

I agree complete class. He's an amazing oak. I heard he trained while sick. Doing that caused him to get a heart problem and that forced him to stop racing. This is what a mate told me.

Read the article I posted....

But litter is litter. Paper is biodegradable but people see that as litter and not a banana peel?

Ahh but you opened the door. Do you consider invisible littering on the same level as visible littering?

"Each gallon of gas produces about 14 pounds of carbon dioxide."

But in all seriousness, I agree. It's not good to litter. I try to keep everything with me except food & fruit leftovers which I dend back to where it comes from. I know we're entitled to our world, but think of other people and even seven generations forward.

Let's take care of our precious blue planet.

this is actually worse than the gu lids...do you know how many people ive "talked" "harsh" to who fix a puncture or something and throw their tube in the veld. especially roadies. WTF are you thinking...seriously, what kind of brain fart did you have to think that this is acceptable. their response, but i dont have space or its gonna mess up my jersey...tough ****

Not condoning it..but a gel is way worse than a tube...a tube will bee picked up by a local and repaired and reused so if you going to do that then leave it on the side off the road rather...a gel on the other hand no one wants and is a threat to animals

I see its been mentioned before. I tape my gels to my top tube with masking tape. Twice over the tab and then a small piece at the end to keep it steady. But be careful when you try to remove it. Don't squeeze.

I remember my brother was racing and wasn't really concentrating. He grabbed one and squeezed as he ripped it off. The gel exploded over his top tube, handlebar, shoes etc. It was a mess. And adding it was a mountain bike race he had a mission trying to clean the sticky residue. (He kept the wrapper though. )

without even reading page 2...

Rich or poor, black or white, educated or not....South Africans generally litter.

I disagree completely. go generalize somewhere else, aint nobody got time fo dat.

I don't think there should be any excuse.

this. No excuse for littering

Gu packets are impractical. Even of you try, they are so sticky that 1/10 times you will drop one unknowingly even of you try to get both parts back into your pocket. Im all for, bananas, nuts and jelly babies. Littering amongst cylists is very common and totally disgusting

Disagree. Stop with your pathetic stereotypes and generalizing people.