Littering and PRO's

Guest Smimby

How do you make it?

I almost never use a gel but thought I'd make some yesterday as I had the ingredients. I used Maltodextrin (very common ingredient in all gels), honey, water, and a pinch of salt. 

Basically mix the Maltodextrin powder in the water over a low heat and then add the honey and salt. One can also flavour it with vanilla/coffee/which ever flavour you like. One can also add whey protein etc.

Ratio is about 60% Maltodextrin to 40% Honey. One can replace the Malto with Brown rice syrup and the honey can be replaced with Agave syrup. If using the Agave syrup then a ratio of about 75% Malto/Brown rice syrup to 25% Agave syrup should be used.

A google search on homemade energy gels reveals a lot of information, videos etc.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you know that the banana peel is not supposed to turfed, as it takes up to TWO years to biodegrade and many parks have now banned this practice. 

So please don't do that either

I don't throw my banana peels as far as scotland! locally they degrade in about 3-4 weeks

I don't throw my banana peels as far as scotland! locally they degrade in about 3-4 weeks

Unfortunately they don't 

There was an article a while back about banana peels in SA also being a problem, I just posted the first article I could find to show that it is also an problem.

It is still considered littering FYI!

Time it takes for garbage to decompose in the environment: 

Glass Bottle.......................... 1 million years 

Monofilament Fishing Line… 600 years 

Plastic Beverage Bottles…… 450 years 

Disposable Diapers………… 450 years 

Aluminum Can..................... 80-200 years 

Foamed Plastic Buoy……… 80 years 

Foamed Plastic Cups……… 50 years 

Rubber-Boot Sole............... 50-80 years 

Tin Cans……………………. 50 years 

Leather................................. 50 years 

Nylon Fabric........................ 30-40 years 

Plastic Film Container........ 20-30 years 

Plastic Bag.......................... 10-20 years 

Cigarette Butt...................... 1-5 years 

Wool Sock............................ 1-5 years 

Plywood…………………….. 1-3 years 

Waxed Milk Carton………… 3 months 

Apple Core…………………. 2 months 

Newspaper………………….. 6 weeks 

Orange or Banana Peel...... 2-5 weeks 

Paper Towel……………….. 2-4 weeks

Banana peels take 2 years to decompose? Now I've head everything  :D .

When I chuck my off-cuts of fruits & vegetables onto my pile of compost next to my veggie garden behind my kitchen, they all decompose at the same rate, which is a few weeks until there's nothing left. 

And that includes banana peels. Why would they be any different to any other plant matter?

how-long-fact-sheet-kab.pdf

Time it takes for garbage to decompose in the environment: 
Glass Bottle.......................... 1 million years 
Monofilament Fishing Line… 600 years 
Plastic Beverage Bottles…… 450 years 
Disposable Diapers………… 450 years 
Aluminum Can..................... 80-200 years 
Foamed Plastic Buoy……… 80 years 
Foamed Plastic Cups……… 50 years 
Rubber-Boot Sole............... 50-80 years 
Tin Cans……………………. 50 years 
Leather................................. 50 years 
Nylon Fabric........................ 30-40 years 
Plastic Film Container........ 20-30 years 
Plastic Bag.......................... 10-20 years 
Cigarette Butt...................... 1-5 years 
Wool Sock............................ 1-5 years 
Plywood…………………….. 1-3 years 
Waxed Milk Carton………… 3 months 
Apple Core…………………. 2 months 
Newspaper………………….. 6 weeks 
Orange or Banana Peel...... 2-5 weeks 
Paper Towel……………….. 2-4 weeks

scary

When I chuck my off-cuts of fruits & vegetables onto my pile of compost next to my veggie garden behind my kitchen, they all decompose at the same rate, which is a few weeks until there's nothing left. 

And that includes banana peels. Why would they be any different to any other plant matter?

Read the article I posted....

But litter is litter. Paper is biodegradable but people see that as litter and not a banana peel?

But litter is litter. Paper is biodegradable but people see that as litter and not a banana peel?

I agree dropping banana peels on a road/pavement/path is litter and uncool. But if I'm eating a banana at the start line (which is my MO), I feel nothing to toss it into the bushes by the side of the road to be of better use to the environment than if it was in a bin.

I remember the one thing that struck me the most when back packing thru Malawi was the lack of garbage.No plastic!....other than that when you threw a peel into the bush the goats devoured it.Everything is starving there

Yeah that's because sheets of A4 don't drop off of trees in nature.

So it's perceived differently.

Edited by Patchelicious

Yeah that's because sheets of A4 don't drop off of trees in nature.

So it's perceived differently.

True, and I am not sure how we got to banana....

It is actually about the blatant actions from the Pro team

Would love to know who waited for the Aluminium can to see how long it took to decompose.

These are all thumb suck

I think they may break down quicker as its in a pile with heat and other rotting matter which produces some or other chemical that also aids in decomposition?

Would love to know who waited for the Aluminium can to see how long it took to decompose.

These are all thumb suck

Rubbish

Everything is measurable 

Edited by Kranswurm

I know its wrong to drop that small end piece of a gu but often when im racing I drop one by mistake. They are tiny, normally slippy from your spit and the gu. Plus when you are hurtling along a piece of bumpy road with the wind blowing and bulky gloves on it is really easy to drop it. I never saw the incident but the pros are normally quite good with littering as they know how it reflects on their sponsors but at the same time if they accidentally drop something they don't have time to go and pick it up. Just my opinion.