Long distance touring bike

_freak_

I am thinking that a 3 day self supported ride from Willowmore to Calitzdorp via Klaarstroom, Meiringspoort, De Rust, over the Swartberg pass to Prince Albert and then back over the hill from the other direction to Calitzdorp in December.

Taking the dirt road to the north of the mountains between Willowmore and Klaarstroom, and the mountain road from De Rust past the caves. I am considering overnighting in Klaarstroom and PA.

This will be my first "expedition" and will ride alone.

I have been following this thread but am left with some questions.

First, my bike choice can either be a HT Niner MCR or a Ritchey Swiss Cross CX bike. I am leaning towards the Ritchey but am concerned about gearing up the Swartberg Pass two days in a row.

Other than that, is there any convincing reason to rather do it on a MTB ?

I will travel as light as I can with a change of clothing and a credit card (ok, probably cash) and will stay in guest houses as it will be my first attempt.

Is a frame bag necessary or can a rucksack do the job ? I am hesitant to carry extra weight on my body and think that water will be my biggest challenge. There are few stops between Willowmore and Klaarstroom and it is likely to be very hot.

What else should I be concerned about?

MCR.

Minimal kit on your back.

Worth your while to drop Oom Rissik a PM.

Enjoy.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your biggest issue will be the Ritchey. Such a liability. You must not use it. Send it to me! ;-)

Sorry, i'm green with envy! Enjoy your trip - sounds great!!

MCR.

Minimal kit on your back.

Worth your while to drop Oom Rissik a PM.

Enjoy.

Why ?

Makes sense. Big saddle bag like the Apidura, a frame bag or what ?

Will PM him.

Plan to do so.....

flippit, I am still stuck on deciding on wheels !

all these posts about weights with paniers and hub width and spoke count and spoke lacing and gravel riding and road riding and keeping it simple...just cannot wrap my mind around these things.

all I want to do after reading these posts is just ride my flippen bicycle !

I did a 5 day ride from knysna to jbay using a topeak seatpost rack on which i bungee chord strapped a 30l backpack. Worked well for weight is off your but,but when the going went down, i moved it to my back which helped riding. Enjoy the trip and eat a lot while riding. Really jealous!

Slowbee.... by the time you finish your X I would have sold mine and moved onto a new project, gotten married, had kids, been divorced (twice) and endured a bypass...

Bud, get it done and come riding with us....

Minimal kit on your back. .

I have started looking at the big saddlebags like the Apidura or Revelate ones.

Do they not get in the way of your legs if you slide back on the saddle, or are they properly out of the way ? Is bigger better ?

Also, what is the best way to carry lots of water ? Bottles and a small Camelback or should I find a way of carrying some water in my frame ?

Jeez...I go riding for a day and come back to an exploded thread! :w00t:

Love the interest this is generating.

i am sticking with my DIY arrangement for a while - with a few tweaks, of course.

It worked perfectly, and held together superbly.

My rear harness is fashioned out of an old SADF pattern 73 grootsak, and the rest are dry-bags tied down by webbing  with buckles. This stuff will probably outlast me.

The kit will evolve, but the most important thing for me is to obtain a frame bag

If you are racing, absolutely different story. 

Just riding or touring? Just make it work. You won't regret it!

Anyone have any idea where I can obtain a template/pattern for a saddle bag?

The Apidura bags are R1787 ex UK and I feel this is a bit pricey and I am a cheapskate.

Would love to borrow a bag from someone as there is somebody here who is prepared to make one or two.

The Apidura bags are R1787 ex UK and I feel this is a bit pricey and I am a cheapskate.

Would love to borrow a bag from someone as there is somebody here who is prepared to make one or two.

Did you get hold of Cal?

I seem to remember finding a lot of stuff on google re DIY frame bags?

Tried it all. Cannot find something with a pattern.  Just how too, what needles, fabric etc.  I just need the pattern.

Could not find anything I could use.

Frame bag patterns are not a problem, many of those but nothing pattern wise on seat bags.

Did you get hold of Cal?

Yip, it is he who needs the template and says he can whip it all up over a week-end...with little mods etc.

Bags (saddle pack regular) are ZAR1520 when you take out the UK VAT.

+ 12 gbp delivery

= ZAR1,775

No saving on delivery charges if you order more than 1.

Edit

And I am assuming SARS wants their cut too:  VAT + ????

Yip, it is he who needs the template and says he can whip it all up over a week-end...with little mods etc.

Please let me know if you go see him.

If you wouldn't mind taking my template when/if you do.

Thanks.

Archived