ASG and trail / land usage

NicoBoshoff

Mod Note

Let's refrain from personal attacks and keep this discussion on track. Argue the points by all means, but don't get personal and childish.

Any such comments will be removed and responsible members warned.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a memebr of various forums in different formats, and i must admit, this is the one forum that lives around assumptions, bitching, moaning, growling, e.t.c...

Please do yourself a favour, and read some of the trheads on this forum and you will soon realise that this forum is fuelaed by moaning, speculation, assumptions, and the like.

You sir, do not know me, so you cannot ASSUME ( Again, assumption )that i am part of the statistics.

This tread will continue for pages and pages of ranting and moaning untill everyone is board of this, or untill the organisers come back with constructive facts.

Bingo

Still trying to figure out why you would deliberately route a XC race through a recognised downhill course... Only outcomes? A rider gets injured or the course gets injured.

Just to be clear:

- My post is based on my own conversation with Darren and the representative of Taalmonument, so if ASG avers that the approvals were given someone is either not honest or there was a misunderstanding of note;

- In no way am I discouraging the holding of or participation in such events.  By all accounts the event was a huge success and this makes me proud of my town, Paarl and grateful for ASG/Bestmed.  It can only be good for the town and the riding community if we get exposure as a riding destination.

My gripe is with the seeming disrespect for local's efforts, existing trails, off-limits walker trails and the land owners in general.

What's done is done, and as one of the locals said, it's just dirt, we'll fix it.

I had a constructive discussion with Mr. Ferreira of PaarlMTB and the reality is that if companies such as ASG want to get involved in an area it could solve a lot of existing issues with sustainability of trails.  It's not my land so I don't get to make that call, and I don't presume to know which way Taalmonument will go, but needless to say I would insist on local rider input to avoid future issues such as this.

I think in any event for next year's race ASG would do well to just involve local riders to assist them on track options.  As Omega pointed out, there is a cool bit of single track that could have been fixed up with no more effort than it took them to work on the DH line and that would have winded them down through Playgrounds safely and in a fun way without encroaching on existing trails.  Everybody wins.

So perhaps then this is an opportunity for ASG to learn.  I have no interest in putting ASG down.  I gain nothing from that.  I just want to establish a decent understanding for the future so as to avoid this again and to also capitalise on the obvious opportunity here.

As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing to be done on the issue anymore.  We'll wait for winter to fix the track and life goes on.

I don't know what Taalmonument will do, but that is their decision. 

Easy, a race of this magnatude, started by the mayor of Paarl would not have taken place if appropriate arrangements was not made.

Yes, much like the work on Nkandla surely would not have taken place without appropriate arrangements having been made.

Oh wait.

Yes, much like the work on Nkandla surely would not have taken place without appropriate arrangements having been made.

Oh wait.

yassis, you win the $#it-stirrer of the week award... :clap:

I am a memebr of various forums in different formats, and i must admit, this is the one forum that lives around assumptions, bitching, moaning, growling, e.t.c...

Please do yourself a favour, and read some of the trheads on this forum and you will soon realise that this forum is fuelaed by moaning, speculation, assumptions, and the like.

You sir, do not know me, so you cannot ASSUME ( Again, assumption )that i am part of the statistics.

This tread will continue for pages and pages of ranting and moaning untill everyone is board of this, or untill the organisers come back with constructive facts.

What powers this forum is stuff like this -

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/126731-urgent-appeal-for-assistance/

and this

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/136693-thanks-guys/

Oh and this

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/141592-hubbers-being-wonderful-again/

Its powered by guys helping each other, guys that attend build days and guys that chip in when someone is struggling.

and this

Oh and this

Its powered by guys helping each other, guys that attend build days and guys that chip in when someone is struggling.

Exactly!

Complete strangers, known to me only by their Hub names, donated cash, to buy my domestic worker's son, school clothes and soccer boots after their shack burn't down.

For all the macho keyboard attitudes, the guys (and few girls) on this forum are actualy fantastic people who all share the one common interest - riding a bike.

and this

Oh and this

And to add to that awesomeness this is also another GREAT one:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/135424-help-a-child-achieve-his-dreams-this-is-important/

And to add to that awesomeness this is also another GREAT one:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/135424-help-a-child-achieve-his-dreams-this-is-important/

Exactly,

this is why i commented on this thread.

I am here to help and get help if i am stuck.

this is what a forum is supposed to be about, positive feedback and projects. e t c....

The last couple of threads relating to events have had a lot of negative feedback and the rate that the negativity goes, will most problably start discouraging organisers of events to arrange more.....

If i was a event organiser and i read the various threads after events, i would most certainly not be interested ot arange anything further in fear of being fed to the lions...

I found Nico's comment constructive - there is a good chance that there was a serious communication error - and hopefully the event organisers can learn from this.  The way I understood this is that permission was sought and given - but for a different section that was used - instead a section that had a very specific function was changed to accommodate the race.  I would think an immediate apology would have helped.  Often these jumps and berms take a while to shape and perfect, and then again a while to ride in.  You can't just fix it the next day - unless the original builder was consulted and agreed to the rebuld - and in this case I think not.

This in reply to

REONST :" The last couple of threads relating to events have had a lot of negative feedback and the rate that the negativity goes, will most problably start discouraging organisers of events to arrange more.....

If i was a event organiser and i read the various threads after events, i would most certainly not be interested ot arange anything further in fear of being fed to the lions..."

Exactly,

this is why i commented on this thread.

I am here to help and get help if i am stuck.

this is what a forum is supposed to be about, positive feedback and projects. e t c....

The last couple of threads relating to events have had a lot of negative feedback and the rate that the negativity goes, will most problably start discouraging organisers of events to arrange more.....

If i was a event organiser and i read the various threads after events, i would most certainly not be interested ot arange anything further in fear of being fed to the lions...

As a community, we are also able to give NEGATIVE feedback. That's what we do, at times. 

The flip-side to your argument is that organisers should do their utmost to ensure that an event is put together PROPERLY. They can use negative feedback given by us, to improve their future offerings. If all we did was give praise, then where is the scope for improvement? Everyone thinks they're doing a fantastic job as there's no criticism. 

As a community, we are also able to give NEGATIVE feedback. That's what we do, at times. 

The flip-side to your argument is that organisers should do their utmost to ensure that an event is put together PROPERLY. They can use negative feedback given by us, to improve their future offerings. If all we did was give praise, then where is the scope for improvement? Everyone thinks they're doing a fantastic job as there's no criticism. 

I found Nico's comment constructive - there is a good chance that there was a serious communication error - and hopefully the event organisers can learn from this.  The way I understood this is that permission was sought and given - but for a different section that was used - instead a section that had a very specific function was changed to accommodate the race.  I would think an immediate apology would have helped.  Often these jumps and berms take a while to shape and perfect, and then again a while to ride in.  You can't just fix it the next day - unless the original builder was consulted and agreed to the rebuld - and in this case I think not.

This in reply to

REONST :" The last couple of threads relating to events have had a lot of negative feedback and the rate that the negativity goes, will most problably start discouraging organisers of events to arrange more.....

If i was a event organiser and i read the various threads after events, i would most certainly not be interested ot arange anything further in fear of being fed to the lions..."

Eaxctly, the Magalies monster being one I can remember that had about 95% positive feedback with one or 2 comments about bottlenecks which the organizers can take to heart and resolve.

Organisers are not indispensible. Where there is money to be made, there will always be organisers. And when they can maximise their profit by cutting corners without being held to account, they will continue ignoring constructive criticism and draw short sighted participants with an "I'm alright Jack" attitude.

Landowners, on the other hand........

I no longer have a MTB race through my farm because my neighbours have entirely reasonably withdrawn access to their land.

As a rule, there is nothing in it for a landowner when a race uses his land. Treat owners with disrespect and eventually you can have your fun on the tar roads and in parking lots of the cities.

Where is it cast in stone that this is the purpose of a forum?

Archived