Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never even knew those existed

Sinkplate become non existant.  Well, they do in my case.

I might have to block your posts, if you keep this up. X, Swiss Cross and now this.....utter torture! ;)

I must say, Fat B is correct. you really have had a nice set......

So, after 6 weeks of turmoil and heartache, the Litespeed is complete. Please excuse the terrible photo, I took a quick snap of the bike after our usual Tuesday morning coffee ride, hence the lights etc.

This truly an incredible bike. The frame is light but compliant but also stiff in the right places. The through axels on the front and back wheels also make a massive difference. It just feels so solid.

Jislaaik, but that is nice !

you don't have a spare frame, just a bit bigger lying around do you :blush:  :blush:

This query seemed best to post here - can anyone shed some light on a poor roadie's befuddled brain?

It relates to tubeless, tubed, rims, tyres and the like. Seems like a black art to me, so.....

.....I'm looking at tyres for a gravel-grinder project. Currently I have traditional clincher rims, Open Pros, which I want to run as is, with tubes and clincher tyres. However at some point down the track, I have designs on a set of tubeless wheels. I'd like to ensure that whatever tyres I get now, will fit the current clincher rims, with tubes, and also the future tubeless rims, without tubes.

So what I'm asking is, can tubeless designated tyres be 100% successfully run on traditional non-tubeless clincher rims with tubes? 

Thanking y'all in advance!

A modern update of this?

http://thumbs.picclick.com/00/s/MTA2NVgxNjAw/z/Ve4AAOSwAuZX18Jy/$/Retro-Girvin-Flexstem-Flexi-Quill-Stem-Mountain-MTB-_57.jpg

I had one of those Girvin Flex stems - problem it was on a 100mm stem. It was lethal. I went OTB many times with it. 

THe current Roubaix i ride has a headset shock which is really a much better idea as the bars don't dip and change your weighting to shift far over the front wheel.

I had one of those Girvin Flex stems - problem it was on a 100mm stem. It was lethal. I went OTB many times with it. 

Me too, and it used to constantly squeak. very annoying but it raised my status in the school bike shed when I rocked up with one on my Giant Sedona.

The days when a new Sachs-Sedis (pre Sram takeover) chain cost R65 and new Continental tyres were R109 each.

Okes, I'm on the lookout for a CX/gravel grinder frame set. What do you have lurking in the cupboard or garage? :clap:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/235950-wanted-cx-or-gravel-grinder-frame-set/

Seek and ye shall find.....!

The BikeHub wife-swapping club has come up trumps - been loved by 3 other hubbers and now she's mine! On the occasion of the eve of my divorce, it seemed fitting to simply name her my X......

A little compact for me perhaps, in stack, not reach, but we'll see how I adapt and with some parts to change-over with my project box which have been kept for this bike for the last 2 years or so...exciting times all round.

I initially thought I'd want to go with stealth black wheels for the aesthetic, but my trusty Open Pros seem to fit the bill nicely.

Will post more when things are consolidated a little more (incl a chain).....

post-77414-0-98177700-1489384328_thumb.jpg

The BikeHub wife-swapping club has come up trumps - been loved by 3 other hubbers and now she's mine! On the occasion of the eve of my divorce, it seemed fitting to simply name her my X......

A little compact for me perhaps, in stack, not reach, but we'll see how I adapt and with some parts to change-over with my project box which have been kept for this bike for the last 2 years or so...exciting times all round.

I initially thought I'd want to go with stealth black wheels for the aesthetic, but my trusty Open Pros seem to fit the bill nicely.

attachicon.gifTX.jpg

Awesome.

Those X's are incredibly versatile and really cope well off the beaten track.

A great purchase!

Tan/brown would go great with that black...

I must say, Fat B is correct. you really have had a nice set......

Jislaaik, but that is nice !

you don't have a spare frame, just a bit bigger lying around do you :blush:  :blush:

Bud, again, thank you for making the frame happen. The only sad point is the brass shifter cable tensioners for the frame seem to have gone missing. I need to find some new ones.

I have some toe to wheel overlap as well which I am dealing with....

TX.jpg

I've my hands all over that X. She's real sweet, but can be dirty ;). Enjoy the ride.

Edited by Ryanpmb

I still have a brand new set of TRP Hylex drop lever hydraulic disc brakes and rotors. Great option for anyone keen on building up a SSCX or adventure bike.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/237843-brakes/

I've used my set for a few weeks now and they're great - so much less tweaking than the set of mechanical disc brakes I had previously.

post-77769-0-61609200-1489743432_thumb.jpg

post-77769-0-56165000-1489743433_thumb.jpg

post-77769-0-02699100-1489743436_thumb.jpg

Edited by SpruitCommuter

Are you guys riding wider bars than on a normal road bike.  I used to ride my road bike with 42cm bars.  Should I go wider for a gravel grinder, maybe 46cm?

Mine has 46cm centre to centre.

Also fitted some Crosstop leavers. Really a must according to me.

Must say I really enjoy my bike!!!