Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

So, wanting to build a gravel bike/cyclocross bike to be able to ride next to some narrow roads if I want to commute.

I have a Hollowgram SI crankset with a Quarq spider that I want to use on it, so my first choice would be a Cannondale CAAD X. The one in classifieds looks like the exact frame I want, but I will not be able to make a size 56 work for me, no matter how much I try.

I would need a size 51/52/53.

Now I will be able to afford anything up to maybe R6000 (frame and fork only), but will have to scrape the money together.

OK, so now the question, except for the China Carbon frames that I can get in BB30/PF30, what other frames are close to that price range that come in BB/PF 30?

Does anyone know of a size 51 CAAD X frame for sale?

Can I ask if you're trying to find a frameset which will accommodate your existing crank?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone tried converting the stock Axis 3.0 rims on a Diverge to tubeless? Can it be done?

That being said, can I then use my current 32C Gatorskin Hardshells non-folding, as tubeless on the now tubeless rim?

If not, are there tubeless ready tyres similar to the Gatorskin Hardshells that you can recommend?

I am currently using the bike mostly for road use.

Advice would be much appreciated.

Has anyone tried converting the stock Axis 3.0 rims on a Diverge to tubeless? Can it be done?

That being said, can I then use my current 32C Gatorskin Hardshells non-folding, as tubeless on the now tubeless rim?

If not, are there tubeless ready tyres similar to the Gatorskin Hardshells that you can recommend?

I am currently using the bike mostly for road use.

Advice would be much appreciated.

The other day, I rode for a bit with an oke riding on Spez Triggers (33mm). We were on tar, and he rolled pretty fast when free-wheeling downhill. Maybe those would suit?

Can I ask if you're trying to find a frameset which will accommodate your existing crank?

Haha, in a manner of speaking, yes :whistling:  :w00t:

Haha, in a manner of speaking, yes :whistling:  :w00t:

Maybe it's a super-doper cranks-set so your choice, but as 2nd cranksets are much cheaper than R6k, maybe consider the reciprocal as an alternative?

Perhaps put out a wanted ad in the classifieds - that's how I got my X? Or exercise patience and keep a watch on the classifieds - for R6k, you'll be able to pick up something rather nice.....

Or look at the steel prototype further up this thread as a new buy?

post-2696-0-58592700-1509994886_thumb.jpg

post-2696-0-24733700-1509994891_thumb.jpg

Can anyone give me some information on these wheels?

Google is not being helpful.

Basically I would like to know if I can go tubeless on these wheels - and then also if I can put a tyre on that is bigger than possibly closer to 35 or 40c for the mrs?

If not to much info forthcoming a set of wheels will be up for sale in the classifieds.

attachicon.gifwheel 1.jpg

attachicon.gifwheel 2.jpg

Basically I would like to know if I can go tubeless on these wheels - and then also if I can put a tyre on that is bigger than possibly closer to 35 or 40c for the mrs?

If not to much info forthcoming a set of wheels will be up for sale in the classifieds.

IIRC, tubeless are generally for lower pressures. 10 bar max doesn't seem to be that. also, tubeless rims that DO run higher pressures (higher than regular 27.5 or 29 tubeless) have tubeless-specific beads that keep the tyres where they're needed... 

Sorry, can't help with THAT rim.

I had a set like that and I could not seat it tubeless, no matter what I tried. Mine were old so guess were not compatible with the tires I tried.  

I would not risk it.

those drc st17 elegant ii rims (which are strong rims)have been about since the 80s/90s -the hubs have obviously come along later - I really wouldn't imagine those rims would seat the bead of a modern tubeless tyre safely and as the erto is 13 I wouldn't risk a tire more than a 28c either

those rims are more vintage bike crowd items so ive seen them around :thumbup:

Will give some feedback, once I am able to get to a bike shop as I don’t have sludge.

Yes, they are 35/43. My frame only fits a 35 at the rear. Haven’t used anything bigger than 38 on the front, bit decided to give the 43 a try as I’m planning some new and longer gravel routes. That is when I get time to ride again. Been hectic lately

Went out for a ride this morning. Only tar, no gravel yet. Tyres roll well and are comfortable, pumped at 3/4 bar. Will report back as I do some more mixed riding and different tyre pressures. The rear tyre measures out at 37mm for the 35mm on a 17mm internal rim, the 43mm is true to size. The rear tyre needed more sealant to seal up properly than the Schwalbe G One. But was using a different type of sealant........Will resort back to what I was using previously, shop did not have stock. They are easy to mount on my wheels, about the same as the Schwalbe tyres.

thanks Guys

Anyone wanting a set of vintage rims ?

To be honest, I'm tempted. What are you wanting for them? What's the rear axel width?

To be honest, I'm tempted. What are you wanting for them? What's the rear axel width?

whats the width?

about 4 fingers, give or take.

how do you measure? has a Sram cassette on.

whats the width?

about 4 fingers, give or take.

how do you measure? has a Sram cassette on.

Lol, is it for an MTB (135mm) or road frame (130mm)?