D2D DNFs

Thyolo

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

widget, the only thing I can think of is the pedal interfering with the chip and mat... or well that's what I've heard people say. Barend (TCS) had the same problem when it didn't register his finish at the Carousel I think it was.

From CC - I got told off.

A ChampionChip must NEVER be attached using an ankle strap and nor must there be another chip ever attached at the same time.  A ChampionChip must ONLY be attached using the ChampionChip bike clip and cable tied as low down as possible on the front fork of the bike.  An ankle strap although it will read most of the time there are the times when it will not read as has happened in your case and it is just not worth taking  the chance.  

Each new chip sold is packed together with an instruction form on correct chip attachment and the details are uploaded onto our site under FAQ.  Unfortunately some cyclists still choose to use the ankle strap as "It has always worked in the past" now you can see there are the times when it will not read. 

Hurmph!!

Sounds like a good way to sell bike attachments to me.!

So when you do a Winning timed race (are they still around Big%20smile) you have to remove the champ. chip bicycle clip and I guess install a winning time one??

Been rather technically challenged, it sounds a bit like an issue to me.

Surely there has to be a logical explanation?? It may not work is rather vague!!

I know that the announcer at the start of D2D said that it was recommended that you do not wear it on your ankle, on the fork, no other chips, blah blah, so it was covered.

But then maybe I'm the only one who listens to the announcer?!

MicH... So are you saying that he said you mustn't wear it on the fork as well? Jason2006-09-19 05:38:07

Seems a rip off to me to charge you R20. I had a problem with my WT chip not reading (also worn on ankle) and they fixed it no charge.

Seems a rip off to me to charge you R20. I had a problem with my WT chip not reading (also worn on ankle) and they fixed it no charge.

You win some, you lose some.

Got a great result out of Polar I didn't deserve a couple of weeks back (as does everyone else it seems); and after Sunday's debacle I'm philosophical about CC's R20.

Thinking about it, where would the Hub be this week without the D2D to get excited about? 

Ah Jason, you're too quick for me!

To spell it out for us  blondes, they said you should NOT wear it on the ankle but should RATHER wear it on the front fork. And seeing that the little plastic clippie only cost a couple of rands, I don't think that they're earning a fortune from the sales of it!

OK, so where can you buy this damn chip on fork thing?  And do you need one for CC and one for WT?

the problem with those little clippies is they break pretty easily - i went through 2 in the space of my first 6 months of proper cycling and riding in races. i wear mine on an ankle strap but i ALWAYS make sure that my foot is at the bottom of a pedal stroke as i go over the mats

.........i wear mine on an ankle strap but i ALWAYS make sure that my foot is at the bottom of a pedal stroke as i go over the mats

I also make sure my foot is at the bottom of the stroke, but then if the race distance is exactly 30. 1492 km I have to make sure I start 18.7538 cm behind the mat or my foot is halfway through the upward stroke at the end. Sometimes I go off line to overtake someone and this screws up my calculations. Oh yes, I also have to keep pedaling and I ride a single-speed.

Once I was sprinting for the finish but had to keep my foot down so I could get a time but ole Floyd next to me kept on mashing his pedals and beat me.

It turned out okay in the end...........we all know what happened to Floyd

Yup those plastic thingies are weak. I lost 2 chips that way and CC charge to link your times on the lost ones to your new chip.

har har steve. that sarcasm would only apply to people who can't afford to lose those split seconds lost when not pedalling. it's easy enough to see the mats before going over them to move that foot down (hell if you aren't watching ahead you might bump into those who own the route and have stopped to chat immediately after crossing the mats and are still in the way).

now go home and continue practising mashing your pedals so you can beat someone for 999th place out of 900.

Slowpoke.........I'm sure it has something to do with interference from cranks, pedals or other bits of metal.

Runners don't have this problem but there again they do go slower and their feet are closer to the ground.

.............or  what about the magnet not being as strong as the Winning Time chips which are supplied with an ankle strap