Is a trail bike + xc bike necessary?

DanielJhb

I live in Jhb. Currently ride a trance 2014 X2, if you had 15k to spend would you buy a second hand anthem or upgrade the trance (fork, dropper post, xt groupset)?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Upgrade the Trance... is as close to a 1 bike you'll get... besides my Trance 2 2014 weighs 12kg with dropper post and hans dampf tyres etc. which is lighter than most Anthems and more "fun" :ph34r:

I guess it depends how serious you want to do trail or XC... besides a Anthem can also do a bit of trail... especially the new SX.

Thanks guys, I'm not all that concerned about the clock but I do ride quite a lot of flat uphills and sometimes long tar sections to get to trails,thought the anthem may make a difference in that regard? Does the trance massively outperform the anthem on downhills? My current trance setup in wtb vigilantes front and wolverines rear. Vigies are probably slowing me down alot on the flat stuff I reckon?

Edited by DanielJhb

I have a xc rig, and two trail bikes. They each have their place, the xc is fun, because its so fast, but the trail bikes are a blast aswell.  If you have the money, why not. If you enjoy xc racing, get a fast efficient xc rig.

Honest question. 

WHAT'S THE DIFFS?? :blush:

Please explain why you would need a XC and trail bike?

Thanks guys, I'm not all that concerned about the clock but I do ride quite a lot of flat uphills and sometimes long tar sections to get to trails,thought the anthem may make a difference in that regard? Does the trance massively outperform the anthem on downhills? My current trance setup in wtb vigilantes front and wolverines rear. Vigies are probably slowing me down alot on the flat stuff I reckon?

Answered your own question there...

YES!

Vigilantes a bit slower but being on the front doesn't affect your road friction as much. Still I never like taking my trail tyres on the road at all.

Yah but the Trance is not a 29er

(duck)

:nuke:  :offtopic: now don't you start that here now!!! :lol:

If tyres make you tire'd then you need moar TITS and HTFU.

BUT - Rotating mass can also be a killer - so maybe invest in a nice set of wheels that's stronger and lighter than the crappy stock P-XC2 and a lighter drivetrain - the stock stuff is helluva heavy - cassette chain and crank mostly - the other stuff is not maybe worth it unless you weight weenie (admits guilt as weight weenie).

Otherwise HTFU :lol:  :thumbup:

Honest question. 

WHAT'S THE DIFFS?? :blush:

Please explain why you would need a XC and trail bike?

I use my 29er HT is for when the climbing is going to be a b!#ch, the 650b trail bike for when the single track is going to be gnarley or I want to go faster down it than the HT allows. The 26er SS is just for when I want to have fun.

My other half only has a 29er HT, I am seriously looking to getting her a 650b trail bike as well ( Anyone got a medium 650b with 140mm travel for sale?)