Goodbye Dstv

corriekuilder

Anyone have any experience with Axcess? See there were voted number one on a my broadband poll, and their capped bundles are quite a bit cheaper?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been reading this thread with great interest and to be honest after 33 pages i still dont have a clear idea of what the best solution is, would somebody be able to summarize what the best solutions is?

i guess there are so many things to consider, but i hope i have it all below 

ADSL Line Rental - Telkom 4 mb line

4mb Uncapped ADSL - ? mweb, Afrihost or Telkom

now this is where i get a little more confused... once you have your line do you need a TV set top box such as Apple TV, Google TV ROKU etc to be able to stream Netflix on your TV? 

what is the total cost of a package like this? DSTV costs R800 per month circa, can you replace DSTV with an internet TV option and run all your mobile devices (Datawise) for the same price?

If somebody can give a me a summary of what is needed and the costs involved it will be greatly appreciated.

I'm about to go through this, so I can give feedback on costs within this week.

I've got an uncapped 4mbps line which I now upped to 8mbps at Afrihost. Afrihost don't throttle its clieents. The even send me an email encouraging me to try and beat the download record for the month. So this one guy downloaded 1 Terrabyte in one month. What the hell he downloaded I don't know. But it was a Sh@t load of stuff.

I've decided, finally, to get rid of DSTV - after a meaningful conversation with a few friends at a kid's party on Saturday. I had already decided to go the streaming route, and ordered a Roku 3 on Friday night (and it arrived a few minutes ago, so I have some fun to look forward to when I get home).

I installed Kodi on my tablet, so I have two different sources of finding suitble content. It's still all new to me, and still have lots to learn. At least I've found some kid's channels to start out with - keep them happy.

So now...

Goodbye Telkom, goodbye Mweb, hello Afrihost (through another service provider). Pretty much what Lexx said - although I found out about their offers over the weekend.

• Telkom -R350 pm (phone rental only)

• MWEB -R349 pm (2 Mbps line - I could pay for more, but the infrastructure in our area won't allow anything faster). Uncapped, and throttled - but the uncapped is subject to review after 70GB per month. The wife uses about 40GB with her business, so doesn't leave much after (especially when Mac software updates arrive).

• Afrihost +R675.00 pm (first quote I got today - still speaking to another two service providers in my area). So that's 8GB, uncapped, unthrottled and perfect for our needs. There's not much of a saving (R24), but the speed and quantity is worth so much more which is the no-brainer part.

• DSTV -R798 (pre-increase) which will be replaced by a few streaming subscriptions (undecided at the moment).

So that puts me at -R822 savings before the DSTV increase, and before the subscriptions that I may have to take out to get sport, and a few other channels. Time will tell - I'll be sure to respond here in a few weeks.

ordered a Roku 3 on Friday night (and it arrived a few minutes ago, so I have some fun to look forward to when I get home).

set it up from behind a vpn as though you are in the UK - else you will not get access to things like BBC Iplayer and Channel 4oD.

getflix is the cheapest at $5, while unotelly is the most popular

edit: at the time I think I just use the Hola chrome extension and that was suitable to use

Edited by Stretch

watch out for Amazon Prime

I registered for a trial version of amazon Prime through amazon.com at the beginning of Feb (5th Feb), then cancelled a few days later. Last night I received a SMS saying 89 GBP was being processed on my card. I immediately logged into Amazon.com and it said I had no Prime membership...then went onto amazon.co.uk and sure as hell full ANNUAL membership had just been processed. Quickly cancelled and entitled to a refund but there is either something irregular with their software, or they are being very unscrupulous.

Bit annoyed as it will take a few days to sort out, and its never lekker to have R1600 odd plus international money handling fees yanked out your account.

Sent them a strongly worded email explaining the situation - I will be interested to hear their explination

Thanks for the heads up  :eek:

I ticked the free trial button on Amazon UK and was signed up to automatically carry on from 2 April...

Un-ticked the box and it shows that my card will not be charged from the 2 April. Will have to keep an eye on that.....

Thanks for the heads up  :eek:

I ticked the free trial button on Amazon UK and was signed up to automatically carry on from 2 April...

Un-ticked the box and it shows that my card will not be charged from the 2 April. Will have to keep an eye on that.....

seems I inadvertently clicked the trial for both co.uk and .com and only cancelled the one. I cant understand how you can have a prime membership for .com and .co.uk at the same time....does not make sense

Also, default action after not cancelling a trial is not to charge you for the next month like netflix does, but to charge you for a full annual membership....very unscrupulous if you ask me

Grebs - I would check .com ....just in case

seems I inadvertently clicked the trial for both co.uk and .com and only cancelled the one. I cant understand how you can have a prime membership for .com and .co.uk at the same time....does not make sense

Also, default action after not cancelling a trial is not to charge you for the next month like netflix does, but to charge you for a full annual membership....very unscrupulous if you ask me

Grebs - I would check .com ....just in case

Just checked. Not active on .com 

Thanks again for the heads up ;)

For the TdF etc it would seem one still needs a VPN/blocker of some sort. It seems for a lot of things one still needs a blocker up front.

FTV addon and UK channels.  ITV4 will cover most of the big cycling events and the TdF

Anyone have any experience with Axcess? See there were voted number one on a my broadband poll, and their capped bundles are quite a bit cheaper?

Yes, I have used them for a couple of years and very happy with them.

Does anyone have a solution to the current situation with Youtube on Kodi- TV Addons. The Bromix version no longer operates and Youtube can currently not be veiwed. Have looked but cant find proper solution for a repair

set it up from behind a vpn as though you are in the UK - else you will not get access to things like BBC Iplayer and Channel 4oD.

getflix is the cheapest at $5, while unotelly is the most popular

edit: at the time I think I just use the Hola chrome extension and that was suitable to use

Thanks - I know where to turn to if I need help...  :clap:

Any suggestions on the VPN to use?

Found this... https://www.bestvpn.com/blog/34524/5-best-vpn-for-roku-december-2015-update/

The pro's/con/s for Overplay doesn't seem too bad, and for $4.95, it's a fair price.

post-1372-0-72208000-1457357165_thumb.png

Edited by geraldm24

Thanks - I know where to turn to if I need help...  :clap:

Any suggestions on the VPN to use?

Found this... https://www.bestvpn.com/blog/34524/5-best-vpn-for-roku-december-2015-update/

The pro's/con/s for Overplay doesn't seem too bad, and for $4.95, it's a fair price.

attachicon.gifVPN.PNG

I use Getflix - have no problems with it at all. Others on this thread use Unotelly

For setting up your roku you can use the Hola Chrome extension to start with

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/unlimited-free-vpn-hola/gkojfkhlekighikafcpjkiklfbnlmeio?hl=en

I think there is one for firefox too. Basically when you browse a site you use it to tell it what country you want to pretend you are from. Useful little extension for watching Filmon tv etc etc in your browser

I use Getflix - have no problems with it at all. Others on this thread use Unotelly

For setting up your roku you can use the Hola Chrome extension to start with

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/unlimited-free-vpn-hola/gkojfkhlekighikafcpjkiklfbnlmeio?hl=en

I think there is one for firefox too. Basically when you browse a site you use it to tell it what country you want to pretend you are from. Useful little extension for watching Filmon tv etc etc in your browser

Thanks, looks like I need to learn to read too [emoji5]

Only saw your previous post that mentioned Getflix