Goodbye Dstv

corriekuilder

No, you don't have access to the normal Apps because it has Android TV installed, not Android. So no way to load Apps like file explorer, Chrome or your browser of choice or any App other than those Google approved.

It's a Pain in the neck.

So here's what I did:

Used another machine(My phone in my case) and downloaded APK files from apkpure.com. Just search for what ever it is you want (ES File Explorer, Chrome, NatGeo, BBC etc) then saved all the APKs onto a USB stick. Then installed them onto the Xi Box from the Stick. 

At that point they were installed but did not display in the Home screen so I installed this:

https://apkpure.com/display-info/ngl.utils.display

which does show on the home screen and on opening, displays all the sideloaded Apps you have installed.Sort of a container for sideloaded APKs.

Anybody want help, just PM me.

Thanks , will try this sometime

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent some time tinkering this weekend....

Thanks to Youtube, I managed to reload the firmware on my MXQPro. My TV box is back up and running again!

Total cost was a R40 USB male to male cable and an hour or so of searching, watching and downloading software.

As an aside, the certified by Google question that was asked a few pages back relates to what apps will run on your device. I loaded the DSTV Now app and skollied my mates login details. App loads fine, you can log in without hassles and see everything that is available to watch but as soon as you try to stream, you get an error that related back to the fact that your device is not Google Certified and as far as I am aware, there is no way to fudge that. It is burnt into a chip somewhere. 

Is it perhaps not VPN related?

No not VPN.. 

Those boxes are not google certified.. so you DRM is not active, so things like Netflix consistently want to update, and then don't work

there are various different ways to fix, but basically you need to certify the box, I.e register it as a custom ROM with google, get a certification

the other not so nice thing is those box's don't come with Android TV, but with Stock Android, so things like how Netflix and YouTube operate is different, requires a different remote like a keyboard with mouse, verse the simple remote that I have.

They recently installed fibre in our complex so am looking at cancelling dstv. What would be the simplest and easiest way to stream movies , series etc for someone like me that's not to clued up when it comes to this type of thing. 

Would a 20mb line be sufficient for this ?

They recently installed fibre in our complex so am looking at cancelling dstv. What would be the simplest and easiest way to stream movies , series etc for someone like me that's not to clued up when it comes to this type of thing.

I have a 10Mb line and we stream on 2 devices, plus another two laptops connected all at the same time (sometimes)... never had a problem. I stream in 720p though.

There are plenty of solutions out there, so it depends what/how you want to connect, eg. Android box, Apple TV, Roku, etc. just read through this thread to pick up tips.

That's sufficient speed. Make sure there is no data limit or if there is it needs to be at least 300+

As for what to stream... Well that depends on what you are after. Sport vs movies vs TV etc. Trial Netflix for s month and see if it's got things you like. Otherwise there's Hulu, Amazon Prime. For sport there's now TV and a few other subscription services. With a good vpn like getflix you can pretend you are in the UK and get access to the BBC player, channel 4, ITV (they do the tour every year), channel 5.

Further to that there are other streams through Kodi that are a little more on the down low.

If and you need a streaming player like Amazon it Roku it any Android box for that matter (or a smart TV .. But are less customisable). If you look through this thread you will see lots of recommendations and information

⬆️ what Stretch said. 20mb is more than enough. Ive had my fibre about a year now, pleased as punch. Love watching my Snooker and all the other things DSTV don't show.

Sheep who still pay DSTV just because of the sport will soon realize there are alternatives. They are just lead to believe there aren't any options. Let me not start up on my conspiracy theories!

Google Chromecast works well for me. 2mb line and it works well enough. Would like faster internet but just download the shows on Netflix if you have issues.

Have dstv now from somebody else. Very useful. 

Edited by Let's Ride

That's sufficient speed. Make sure there is no data limit or if there is it needs to be at least 300+

As for what to stream... Well that depends on what you are after. Sport vs movies vs TV etc. Trial Netflix for s month and see if it's got things you like. Otherwise there's Hulu, Amazon Prime. For sport there's now TV and a few other subscription services. With a good vpn like getflix you can pretend you are in the UK and get access to the BBC player, channel 4, ITV (they do the tour every year), channel 5.

Further to that there are other streams through Kodi that are a little more on the down low.

If and you need a streaming player like Amazon it Roku it any Android box for that matter (or a smart TV .. But are less customisable). If you look through this thread you will see lots of recommendations and information

I can get a package with uncapped data so that shouldn't be a problem.

I don't have a smart tv so would need to get a streaming player or can I just connect a lap top to the tv and stream it through the lap top ?

I don't have a smart tv so would need to get a streaming player or can I just connect a lap top to the tv and stream it through the lap top ?

You'll grow very tired of that. Get a streaming player

Get a Google Chromecast, like Let's Ride said.

You choose what you want to watch on your phone, and then you hand it over to the Chromecast to play it for you by clicking "CAST"

This works on:

-DSTV Now, if you still have a family member paying their subscription fees

-Netflix

-youtube

-probably any video service site/application

Once you get more comfortable with the technology you can start looking at a dedicated media player. The Chromecast is a cheap way to start doing the streaming thing.

Get a Google Chromecast, like Let's Ride said.

You choose what you want to watch on your phone, and then you hand it over to the Chromecast to play it for you by clicking "CAST"

This works on:

-DSTV Now, if you still have a family member paying their subscription fees

-Netflix

-youtube

-probably any video service site/application

Once you get more comfortable with the technology you can start looking at a dedicated media player. The Chromecast is a cheap way to start doing the streaming thing.

It's good advice. They are also cheap and useful when you upgrade to a dedicated device. I still use my Chromecast occasionally or move it to another TV if someone wants to watch something else. VLC also has the ability to cast to a Chromecast