Hay fever out on a ride

I had terrible allergies and sinus problems. 2 years ago my ENT recommended I use a spray called Avamys daily. Not cheap per bottle but lasts just over 2 months with one spray in each nostril. It has worked better than any cortisone pills or injections I used to take.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had terrible allergies and sinus problems. 2 years ago my ENT recommended I use a spray called Avamys daily. Not cheap per bottle but lasts just over 2 months with one spray in each nostril. It has worked better than any cortisone pills or injections I used to take.

Works very well

FWIW, Deselex also has a generic called Desaway... works for me! And a fair bit kinder on the pocket than Deseway.

I also use a mild cortisone spray I feel it coming on - Clenil Aq.

also one called Dazit

My best friend during hayfever season (sept/oct/nov) is called Allergex.  Never go anywhere without it. 

But be careful some people cant handle it.  Gave my wife one once.  She slept for a day (even when she was awake)  :blush:

Go for an allergy test and the required immunization injections, works very well and for a loooong time.

I had it done in 1980 and only now does it feel like its wearing off, or maybe its just the pollen in Europe which is far worse / different to SA

My best friend during hayfever season (sept/oct/nov) is called Allergex.  Never go anywhere without it.  But be careful some people cant handle it.  Gave my wife one once.  She slept for a day (even when she was awake)  :blush:

My wife always sleeps after I give her one???

Holy crap that injection is awesome.

Where'd you get it? GP or can you just get it at a chemist. I Can't handle the itchy eyes :(

Where'd you get it? GP or can you just get it at a chemist. I Can't handle the itchy eyes :(

Went to medicross. Gp prescribed . Nurse installed

Went to medicross. Gp prescribed . Nurse installed

Had a chat with my pharmacist.. He doesn't recommend using cortosone for treating Hayfever. He thinks the side effect risks aren't worth it so I just topped up on my pills

Had a chat with my pharmacist.. He doesn't recommend using cortosone for treating Hayfever. He thinks the side effect risks aren't worth it so I just topped up on my pills

Give your pharmacist a Bells. 

It is not a good idea at all to treat hayfever with a steroid injection.

The side effect profile v/s the benefits are not worth it.

The side effects of corticosteroids include: Weight gain, hyperglycaemia, hypertension, osteoporosis, immunosuppression, impaired growth in children, muscle weakness and suppression of the adrenal gland which could be potentially life threatening as it could lead to an adrenal crisis. 

There are two methods to treat hay fever.

1. Anti Histamines 

2. Intranasal corticosteroid sprays. (these work locally in the nose and have little systemic absorption so they cause few systemic side effects)

They can be used together in difficult to treat cases.

STAY AWAY FROM STEROID INJESTIONS. (Celestone Soluspan)

Give your pharmacist a Bells. 

It is not a good idea at all to treat hayfever with a steroid injection.

The side effect profile v/s the benefits are not worth it.

The side effects of corticosteroids include: Weight gain, hyperglycaemia, hypertension, osteoporosis, immunosuppression, impaired growth in children, muscle weakness and suppression of the adrenal gland which could be potentially life threatening as it could lead to an adrenal crisis. 

There are two methods to treat hay fever.

1. Anti Histamines 

2. Intranasal corticosteroid sprays. (these work locally in the nose and have little systemic absorption so they cause few systemic side effects)

They can be used together in difficult to treat cases.

STAY AWAY FROM STEROID INJESTIONS. (Celestone Soluspan)

ordinarily, i would agree.

However after 3 months of daily nasal sprays and antihistamines.

That one injection has changed everything.

No more sniffles, sneezing or itchy eyes.

NONE.

Surely the cumulative effect of 3 months of meds cant be good either, also, to a much smaller efficiency.

All i can say, is that i am very grateful for DieBees' suggestion on the injection.

Archived