Electronic Bikes

Noel-27

Hello....

Posted 2 ads for electronic bikes within the classifieds last week , quite a few views but no comments ? would love to hear what your guys general opinion is on  the bikes ...massive in Europe , will they take off in SA do you think ?

I don't see them being as popular in SA, reason being in SA people use bicycles for sport mostly and not as a means of transport. Here in switz ebikes are very popular with folks who use their bikes for transport (ride to work or to the shops) and not for sport purposes. You do get some (mostly the older and less fit) types who use them for "touring" as well.

Some of the more powerful ones are pretty fast and can be deceiving because you just see a bicycle with someone riding relaxed and don't expect it to be traveling at +40kmh. In switz the fast ones are not allowed to use their motors when riding on walking / non motorised paths and need a 3rd party insurance sticker and a little number plate.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello....

Posted 2 ads for electronic bikes within the classifieds last week , quite a few views but no comments ? would love to hear what your guys general opinion is on  the bikes ...massive in Europe , will they take off in SA do you think ?

Noel, the facts are that there are companies importing e-bikes into S.A and yes it is taking off. Suppliers selling E-bikes should however educate  people on the importance of the battery. The Lithium battery as you probably already know makes up 2/3 of the price tag. Many people are buying e-bikes and then the battery is failing them several months later. No warranty means having to go buy a brand new battery. Service standards have generally been poor - when people go back to the supplier they have either closed down, or have no warranty period for the battery leaving the customer in a difficult predicament. Several people have come to us with that issue and that is why i can speak from first hand experience. In the past a lot of the e-bikes have been low-end cheaper product with lead acid batteries. Now there is much better quality coming in among some of the less desirable product. The challenge for importers of complete e-bikes is that  there are people of vastly different shapes, sizes , ages , range , power and riding preferences. How can one e-bike brand have an e-bike  that serves different needs. A small example - The frame size for a guy who is 5 foot and 70kg in weight as opposed  6 foot lady who weighs 100kg .   E-bikes  that are imported cannot unfortunately cater for these different needs.

The answer in S.A is to go customized. Let people buy the bike they love and which is most suitable for their needs ( or they may have one already they can convert into an e-bike) . Let a professional e-bike workshop turn either their Mountain bike, Trail bike, road bike , fat bike or whatever bike they love into an e-bike  using the latest technology and done in the safest possible way ( including hydraulic or mechanic brake safety cut-off switches which cuts the motor power off ) , - either with a  mid motor or hub motor - whatever completey suits the customers needs. Just like going to see a Doc, a supplier of an E-bike needs to first fully understand a clients needs and then offer an e-bike that  meets them. 

• 2 months later...

Great to find a topic of such nature on the Hub! 

We feel that electric bikes are great as they allow slower people to keep up with speedy friends, you can also travel further with the same effort, ride with ease uphills and into the South Easter, commute faster. Just to name a few benefits. 

Chilled Squirrel, I totally agree with you! Lithium ion batters are the only way to go when it comes to batteries. This is why our bikes only come with them!

One of our electric bikes was reviewed by the Hub last month, https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/gear/reviews/review-easy-motion-neo-pedal-assist-e-bike-r2306. The video at the end of the review shows what an electric bike can handle! 

I'm thinking these are electric bikes - & am interested to look into them for commuting. 

We don't have showers at work and its a bit of a ballsache route, so having some help on the uphills on the morning journey could make the difference between riding or driving. 

Much healthier as long as you don't get hit by a car, in which case it would be much unhealthier.

e bikes are pointless and built for lazy people and middle aged commuters with toooo much money they don't know what to do with :eek:

like motorised skateboards they will always be around as toys for silly rich kids but ........ :ph34r:

I would love a gravel e-bike for the wife, she can then keep up when we do some off roading. This way I can get my exercise in and spend time with family.

And before any smart ass says get my wife to train harder and keep up with me, she would be winning the cycle tour etc if she had to do that.

As soon as one meets the budget/spec level I want, will pull the trigger. :D

e bikes are pointless and built for lazy people and middle aged commuters with toooo much money they don't know what to do with :eek:

like motorised skateboards they will always be around as toys for silly rich kids but ........ :ph34r:

You don't think so good - you say they are pointless and then tell us what the point of them is.

Speaking as a middle-aged, would-be commuter, with too much money, that is.

I'm going to electrify my commuter; to help with rehab after a hip replacement.

This means I can still ride to and from work (22km each way) without placing undue stress on my joints and slowly get more pedalling in as I get stronger.

So there is some point to electric bikes....

There's also the possibility of fewer cars on the road: i.e. person buys electric bike then doesn't use the car for a few journeys.

Personally I'd love to see the bike paths filled with all sorts of bikes. More bikes = more cycle lanes....Hopefully.

• 1 month later...

I understand from a commuting point of view, and Pure Savages view. 

I think it will have its place in the market in the years to come, but it will not be for the "serious cyclist" (being it a weekend worrier or a pro rider) 

Once you strap an engine on your bicycle it becomes a MOTORbike.  

On a mtb tour we did in April , 80-100 kms per day a good ( senior ) cyclist brought his wife along who was not a good cyclist but with her e bike she was able to do around 50 km per day with us untill the battery ran flat . Anyone that saw the joy on her face to being able to ride with us will never talk about lazy people on e bikes ever again .

I don't care what anyone says! :P I think they're heaps of fun... when I rode one I felt like a kid riding for the first time ^_^

I rode a Spez Turbo a few months ago, LOVED it!

I'm not a technically inclined person so I don't know or understand the specifics, but it gives you back what you "put" in... pedal slowly and you'll get a proportional amount of electric power back, pedal harder and faster...and you FLY!!! I'm got this idea in my head that the ratio was 3:1 power back

Would I ride it all the time, definitely not... I prefer my "leg only" powered versions... but would I like one in my bicycle stable... HELL YES!

Especially for my other half, who rode a bike for the first time only a few months ago, she'd be able to come on longer rides with me then, as in the case of the lady mentioned in the last post.

Id commute on one. 

But it would have to be this one 

http://www.shockmansion.com/wp-content/myimages/2012/08/Stealth-Electric-Bikes.jpg

My dad has been riding an electric assist mtb for a couple of years now - keeps him out there - which is a good thing, considering he will be 80 next year. Just lets him keep up better on the uphills so he does not feel he is holding up a ride group - which previously was his excuse for not going to ride.

This reminds me I am also getting old.... :(

My dad has been riding an electric assist mtb for a couple of years now - keeps him out there - which is a good thing, considering he will be 80 next year. Just lets him keep up better on the uphills so he does not feel he is holding up a ride group - which previously was his excuse for not going to ride.

This reminds me I am also getting old.... :(

:whistling:  :whistling:  :whistling:

So what would be a reasonable e-bike for my wife?

i have not looked at these at all.

She had major hip surgery and cannot ride properly anymore (weak and starts to hurt).

it would have to be a mountain bike and i reckon my max would R 20k.

If i can convert her current bike properly that would be my first choice as she rides an XS.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Archived