Gym fees? Why are they NEVER made public?

KarlvN

Fair enough bro, and I get what you mean now that you clarify.

You're probably right in that a lot of people moved across to the Vitality version of the gym membership, and that mmay have resulted in a bit of a loss on the balance sheet. But I don't know what agreements Vitality has with VA / Planet Fitness etc so I can't comment on whether there are additional cash incentives for the clubs based on how many members they have etc etc.

What may have happened as well is that Vitality / Own Your Life / Multiply etc have opened the clubs up to far more members than would have ordinarily taken a gym contract, and now that the new versions are in (where you don't lose the benefit if you don't go, your discount just changes) the loss to the bottom line is less likely to happen.

Having said that, if ALL you're using the benefit for is the gym, then there are better ones than Vitality.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just remembering an article I read last year sometime in one of the mainstream cycling magazines about this dude who started doing these full on hard core exercises at home in the street and in his garage, using things like lorry tyres, kettle bells, skipping ropes, big logs of wood etc. Eventually some of his neighbours joined in the fun. The idea was ( I think ) to go till you puke. or faint. or both. Anyway, he reckons he got hard as nails, and that it helped his riding too? Anyone else remember something like this.

I'm thinking I may do the same style thing, Kind of like "buurtwag bootkamp" :o

Guest Travis.

Get on your bike and ride.  Best Gym ever. 

Can't pic up weights there...

agreed. I find the older I get the less I can tolerate gyms full of sweaty, smelly people with questionable hygiene standards. I'd rather get out into the fresh air and do some exercise there.

Apologies OP for the off-topic post.

Absolutely.  I used to be a gym freak.  2 hours a day picking up and putting down heavy pieces of iron and calling it awesome. Its crazy thinking about it now.

Now, its me, my bike and the open air (and an indoor trainer during winter).  Won't ever look back.

Edited by Maniax

Rant on.

So I go onto the website for virgin Active in order to see what their gym memberships cost, and low and behold, they do not advertise these fees. It seems they (arrogantly, I might add :angry: ) assume that since I am on their website that automatically means I have decided to join!!!!!

Anyway, I am not an impulsive buyer, and I do NOT just send my details over the interweb just for some poor telemarketer to call me and be exposed to my phone-wrath!!!!

WHY CAN THESE STUPID HEALTH CLUBS NOT JUST TELL US HOW MUCH THEY CHARGE AND LET US, THE CONSUMER, DECIDE IF WE WANT TO PAY FOR THEIR SERVICES, WITHOUT THEIR INCESSANTLY ANNOYING "REPRESENTATIVES" CALL ME EVERY TWO AND A HALF MINUTES. :cursing: :thumbdown:

Rant off.

Does anyone who is not directly vested in these institutions of higher fitness actually know how much they bill for a normal month's exercise?

And before the inevitable "join discovery / vitality" etc. etc. comments start flying, I want REAL benefits from my medical aid, which are directly related to doctors and hospitals, not some gimmick which ends up costing more than is necessary. Thus I belong to a REAL health insurance scheme, which has my actual medical wellbeing at heart.

I haven't read all the replies, but having worked in numerous gyms in my youth (I still teach aerobics part time), the main reason for not advertising prices is that they want you to come into the gym, to meet a sales person, who will sink their teeth into you and coerce you into buying a membership.

I worked at a chain of gyms called Sharper Image. Their sales people would sell their soul to get you to buy a membership. They would tell you anything (even outright lies) to get you to buy.

I haven't read all the replies, but having worked in numerous gyms in my youth (I still teach aerobics part time), the main reason for not advertising prices is that they want you to come into the gym, to meet a sales person, who will sink their teeth into you and coerce you into buying a membership.

I worked at a chain of gyms called Sharper Image. Their sales people would sell their soul to get you to buy a membership. They would tell you anything (even outright lies) to get you to buy.

Thanks for being so candid Eugene,

that is EXACTLY why I DO NOT want to go to the gym to meet with their sales people BEFORE knowing what I am potentially in for. I want facts, not fluff. And by giving me the right information STARTING with pricing, then I can make an informed decision regarding affordability versus need. If that is the tactics that are being used by most, if not all, gyms these days, then it seems pretty irresponsible to me. Kind if like irresponsible lending. They tie you up in contract with no regard to your financial well being afterwards.

Just joined virgin through discovery vitality- joining fee R1225, the R129 per month to use only one gym or R320 for a national membership.

Guest DieBees

Rant on.

So I go onto the website for virgin Active in order to see what their gym memberships cost, and low and behold, they do not advertise these fees. It seems they (arrogantly, I might add :angry: ) assume that since I am on their website that automatically means I have decided to join!!!!!

Anyway, I am not an impulsive buyer, and I do NOT just send my details over the interweb just for some poor telemarketer to call me and be exposed to my phone-wrath!!!!

WHY CAN THESE STUPID HEALTH CLUBS NOT JUST TELL US HOW MUCH THEY CHARGE AND LET US, THE CONSUMER, DECIDE IF WE WANT TO PAY FOR THEIR SERVICES, WITHOUT THEIR INCESSANTLY ANNOYING "REPRESENTATIVES" CALL ME EVERY TWO AND A HALF MINUTES. :cursing: :thumbdown:

Rant off.

Does anyone who is not directly vested in these institutions of higher fitness actually know how much they bill for a normal month's exercise?

And before the inevitable "join discovery / vitality" etc. etc. comments start flying, I want REAL benefits from my medical aid, which are directly related to doctors and hospitals, not some gimmick which ends up costing more than is necessary. Thus I belong to a REAL health insurance scheme, which has my actual medical wellbeing at heart.

Three reasons.

1. Location

2. Different packages, different contract lenghts, usage times etc...

3. They PUSH you to go into the gym then they can get you to sign. It is a sales tactic. And it works well!

Three reasons.

1. Location

3. They PUSH you to go into the gym then they can get you to sign. It is a sales tactic. And it works well!

It works well, because people are stupid - FOMO!

Three reasons.

1. Location

4. once in the gym you see all these people working out which sorts of adds to the pier pressure to sign up through a feeling guilty factor

4. once in the gym you see all these people working out which sorts of adds to the pier pressure to sign up through a feeling guilty factor

Nah, I never been the one to fall for peer pressure tactics. If i wanted that cigarette as a laaitie, it's cause I WANTED it, not cause my tjommie talked me into it. Same now.

I don't give a rats arse about what other people think - just ask my wife. BUT, I absolutely detest, no HATE, people harassing me into a decision. That's when I feel like a good ole punch up coming along fast. Hence my reason for wanting to make decisions on my own terms, not by some pimple faced roid freak.

I have not read through this but the prices differ. The prices aren't made public due to the fact that the club's prices differ, and you get different amounts of discount depending on medical aid etc. You also get different membership options. So just too many variables to make public

R800 a month, or just join vitality, then it is R300 a month

Yoh thats expensive!

At kloof Virgin I pay R140pm on vitality - and vitality is R220pm (both together cheaper than Virgin on its own!)

It works because people feel like to much of a dwis to say: "oh, well now that you have taken the time to explain it all to me I have realised that it is too expensive"

They took a LOT of money from me.....

I signed a long term contract and the franchise folded a few weeks after I signed and payed.

Yoh thats expensive!

At kloof Virgin I pay R140pm on vitality - and vitality is R220pm (both together cheaper than Virgin on its own!)

Happy That I have been using the Vitality Option FOr some time so my Monthly fees at Virgin is R0-00. As long as I visit the 36 times in 12 month rolling period.

In the summer I wiil be outside tapping away on my pedals but in Winter time and some specific training session I will be on the spinning/Wattbikes in the Gym.

Just checked , 58 times last 12 months , so still free for now.