Cross training for cyclists - what is best?

Hi all,

I love cycling. I love being on my bike, I love the road, the trails. I love talking about my bikes, I love talking about cycling to whoever is willing to listen. But I am starting to feel like simply pedalling as much as I can, day in day out will only get me so far (in terms of fitness and strength).

I want to know what other Hubbers do off the bike in order to become stronger cyclists? I read many publications and everyone has a different opinion, raging from gym work to running marathons to compliment your cycling.

Hi all,

I love cycling. I love being on my bike, I love the road, the trails. I love talking about my bikes, I love talking about cycling to whoever is willing to listen. But I am starting to feel like simply pedalling as much as I can, day in day out will only get me so far (in terms of fitness and strength).

I want to know what other Hubbers do off the bike in order to become stronger cyclists? I read many publications and everyone has a different opinion, raging from gym work to running marathons to compliment your cycling.

For cross training running because:

1. Its weight bearing and good for your bones (bone density).

2. Its cheap and can be done anywhere, anytime.

3. Do not need to do a lot of it to benefit, 30 minutes 2 or 3 time a week will work. 

4. It can be very social, easy to run with friends and chat.

6. Will strengthen your legs and use different muscles, excellent aerobic exercise.

For improving cycling:

1. Set a target and get a coach to provide the training plan to get there.

2. Vary your training, don't get into a rut and do the same old stuff

3. Race regular, nothing like a race to improve performance

EDIT: Did not read the OP properly

Triathlon.

Swimming is great recovery and will build you an upper body and improve flexibility - and you get to rock out in a speedo. Running builds great strength and endurance, trail and mountain running will work wonders for mtb climbing. 

You also get an excuse to buy three times the gear and get another bike

I run, swim and gym during the week but ride as well on the same day. So basically if I do both its a 50 50 split between riding and one of the above. Then in the off season on some Saturdays I don't ride and substitute it with a HARD leg session in the gym. So Tuesdays its ride and swim, Wednesday its ride and run, Thursday its ride and weights. Other days just ride.

Slight hijack..

So those who use running as a compliment to bike riding, what is the best GPS/HR blah blah device?

I need to replace mine that was nicked and am looking for a good device that accommodates both disciplines

Hi all,

Trail Running and Kloofing

Agility, flexibility and core strength

Slight hijack..

So those who use running as a compliment to bike riding, what is the best GPS/HR blah blah device?

I need to replace mine that was nicked and am looking for a good device that accommodates both disciplines

Depending on what you want to spend but i have the okay v800 and really good. Cheaper version is the polar m400 which also gets great reviews!

Archived