How To...Increase Average Speed ?

Nayr

Some have been coverd....

Having a low resistance tyre (Mtb) will assist in faster time - take in account your terain and your skill level.

Surely think it applies for road.

Tyre pressure - lighter wheels (better quality) Even lighter bike will assist.

Spinning is important. pedal smarter.. not harder (avoid domkrag) understanding not just to "trap" but to develope an even power pedal stroke.

Keeping overall body fat low...

my 2c...

Edited by Andro

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So true... if you brake you have waiste energy... therefore improve in you technical skill - conering ect..

here's an idea... don't brake...

well don't brake unless you have to... on downhill sections I have heard many a turkey gobble...

leave'em open let it fly...

I tried that for ages and it never worked for me, I figured in the end that pushing a harder gear slower is my thing. Same speed but less fatigue... maybe Im just unusual like that.

IM WITH YOU ON THAT ONE SOME PEOPLE SPIN LIKE WASHING MACHINES OTHERS GRUNT OUT THE STROKES

i checked on virtual training(races) some washing machines spin like 2 stroke engines, others like tractors, i think you can only change that to a point, 

Yes granted it depends on the person and we each need to find what works for us. There have been a few top riders who manage just fine with lower cadences, Jan Ulrich is a good example.

Spinning does not necessarily mean riding with a major high cadence (> 105) and is dependent on the terrain. Pedaling at 85-90 rpm on a steep hill could be classed as spinning but 85-90 rpm on the flats as normal. Also its when you spin that has a big impact i.e. early in the ride.

Spinning or rather high cadence cycling has been proven to fatigue muscles less compared to low cadence as the muscles spend less time in a "exerted" state (layman term not the scientific term). So spinning instead of grinding or forcing in the first half of a ride could allow you to ride harder in the 2nd half due to less muscle fatigue

If you are not 100% used to spinning then it will hurt as well, you have to train and get your system used to it just like you need to train hills, sprints....

Dips, check those online races we do and see the chap who klaps us all (cant remember exactly who he is) but his avg cadence is way over 100

Dips, check those online races we do and see the chap who klaps us all (cant remember exactly who he is) but his avg cadence is way over 100   (swiss)

100% thats why i say i know some okes spin, but ive tried :blush: no can do, those races i was like 50/60  :blink:

Edited by DIPSLICK

Dips, check those online races we do and see the chap who klaps us all (cant remember exactly who he is) but his avg cadence is way over 100   (swiss)

100% thats why i say i know some okes spin, but ive tried :blush: no can do, those races i was like 50/60  :blink:

Its takes a lot of practice to ride at a higher cadence, I'm talking months of drills and practicing at higher cadences until it becomes natural.

50/60 eish my knee's are aching just thinking about that. Such low cadences are not good for the knee especially if you ride like that all the time.

A higher cadence will increase your heart rate and work your calf / ankle / lower leg muscles so they ache and get sore in the beginning, but once you get used to it then you can ride at the same speed or faster but with less muscle fatigue

Well that's what Dr Ferrari maintains....

Maybe take that 62 tooth off the front of your single speed  :whistling:

Maybe take that 62 tooth off the front of your single speed  :whistling:

If Dips is riding his single speed on the powerbeam events I'm going "unfriend" him

1. Loose weight (like everyone else says),

2. Train on rollers, it will smooth out your pedal stroke and make your balance reflexes much faster.

3. Be obsessive about bike setup. The smallest things can make a huge difference to speed and confidence, e.g. lower the front handle bars, better tread pattern tires, wider tires, lower pressure tires, better front shock (service it often), dropper seat post.

4. I assume you on a 29er, for cross country racing this is a must.

5. Practice riding single track behind someone a bit better than you. Ask them to slow down, if necessary. Don't try ride around stuff when riding bumpy, technical things, just keep straight and go over it. It does flatten out if you go fast enough.

6. If you find out how to corner fast, please tell me. I still can't do this properly.

Some have been coverd....

Having a low resistance tyre (Mtb) will assist in faster time -

Tyre pressure

I know it is counter intuitive but remember that on a MTB harder pressure than necessary increases rolling resistance and is slower.

I think it's largely a mind game. When you are riding hard up a hill and you are burning and you think there is nothing left in you then keep pushing for another minute or two. It doesn't feel good at the time when you can taste a bit of blood you feel nauseas and can't breath but if you do that at least three times in a ride you will get faster

That is the theory. In practice.......

I did practise it with a Dr Ferrari online training program in 2003 / 2004 and it worked for me ;)

now I've got slack and find i default to a lower cadence again... <_<