Caravaning and Camping.

Mousea

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody have some advice of what would be a good fridge size? Found this lekker 55l jobby for 6500 but the wife is a bit worried it might be to small??

https://flexadventures.co.za/shop/camping-fridges/flex-cf55-camping-12v-fridge-freezer/

Don't know if it is workable in your case, but consider running it as a freezer only and have a separate coolbox for the stuff that only needs to be cool, but not necessarily cold. Transfer from the freezer to the cooler to Defrost.

On 5/11/2021 at 3:06 PM, Bomberman said:

Does anybody have some advice of what would be a good fridge size? Found this lekker 55l jobby for 6500 but the wife is a bit worried it might be to small??

https://flexadventures.co.za/shop/camping-fridges/flex-cf55-camping-12v-fridge-freezer/

OK, yeah depending on how many you are and how long you are planning on going away. I see that there is either a 80L stainless steel one or a 75L plastic one on that website as well. Very reasonable prices. 

We have a Snomaster 65 L Fridge Freezer. Can choose which compartment  to use for freezer (Pretty much same specs as the two I mentioned above) For our Camp in December (we were 4) we packed all our meat in freezer part and managed for stuff like margarine, milk etc in fridge and it lasted well. I paid 10500 for ours. Meanwhile I also got an Ice Machine for some "vuil cokes" and all that you know.

Best for me is to physically go to a store where I can look and fiddle with the stuff. Found that stores like OUtdoor Warehouse and Camp & Climb have good options. Then if you find it at better prices online, you at least know what you're buying.

Just take the measurements of the one you are planning to buy into account as well when you are packing for a trip or whatever.  I had an Xtrail and our fridge/freezer took up most of the space in the boot. 

Also one with baskets you can remove also works nice, especially when you packed all your goodies inside it can be quite heavy. remove baskets load fridge freezer and put baskets back..easy peasy

Sorry for all the unwanted advice, just stuff people told us before we started camping and buying gear

Edited by RudoJ

On 5/11/2021 at 3:27 PM, Vetplant said:

Don't know if it is workable in your case, but consider running it as a freezer only and have a separate coolbox for the stuff that only needs to be cool, but not necessarily cold. Transfer from the freezer to the cooler to Defrost.

+1

I have a 50L SnoMaster and do exactly that ... works a treat. Just spent 9 days in Cederberg & Tra-Tra Mountains no issue. Transfer ice-packs between the cooler-box and freezer as needed.

Edited by EddieV

I have a 55 lt National Luna. Just the wife and I now and if we go away for 4 days we take a cooler box as well. Ours has two separate compartments which can operate together or as a fridge freezer combo. Works well with the separate battery system in the vehicle so we can leave it there. A bigger fridge would take up boot space but would work well in a trailer/caravan.

Has anyone got a better way to control moisture in the van while storing besides those small dehumidifier blocks from dischem?

Ours get full in around 3 months. (Maybe should just go up to the lake and use it more often!)