Karoo To Coast 2015

ErikD

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did the k2c last year. I had to travel 800 km for it. After I came to the conclusion that if the effort is made to travel that distance, including the logistics surrounding the race, that I will do the dr evil as well. Make it worth your while and do the 4 days on the bike.

I did it last year as well. Climbs was rough in terms of gradient rather than length (the combination did make it worse). I know of a couple of good Climbs in Jhb (Westrand), but they are all maybe 200m vertical ascent at most. A couple of hubbers suggested Breeds Nek as a good climb (think its about 250m climb over 4km), but I never got around to doing it.

I completed the race in just over 6 hours and learned 2 lessons. Saddle was not comfortable enough (way too hard for me), and I did not stop to re-adjust the straps on my shoes (feet swelled a bit, and the pain was insane after about 4 hours).

I was very stoked with the fact that I managed my nutrition well (energy did not crash at all for the whole race).

Would love to do it again some time but the logistics is probably not going to allow me to do it this year.

We always stay in Knysna and take the shuttle to Uniondale. Wake up at stupid o'clock in the morning. Rather thid way than to freeze in the Uniondale cold. And after the race you dont have to travel as you are in Knysna.

Jy sal maar jou klimme moet in kry. Hulle gaan jou bene toets. Oefen maar een goeie klim as jy amper op jou moegste is want net voor als oor en verby is dan wag Simola. Daar kan jy maklik 100-200 plekke opmaak as jy hom uit trap en nie stoot nie

Find a hill and ride it, when you're blowing out your armpits, ride it some more, when your tongue is scrapping the floor, ride it another 5 times.....:-D

Awesome race. I just wish they would do registrations in Knysna. Travelling through to Uniondale two days in a row isn't fun.

For accommodation, try Knysna Lagoon Lodge. Awesome people and they cater for the K2C riders & Lulu looks after you like a champ.

Have a jol, and don't listen to the naysayers......Simola is just another hill.....if you've done your training!

Registration in Knysna will help a lot. After the last year I wont do the registration trip anymore. I will pick up everything the morning of the race as there is not much in the goodiebag worth keeping.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I know they are still busy upgrading the Prince Alfred pass, not sure if it will be finished in time to allow traffic on it.

As for accommodation, forget Uniondale. Willowmore is not that far out and its where I have stayed the previous 4 times I rode K2C.

As far as I know they are still busy upgrading the Prince Alfred pass, not sure if it will be finished in time to allow traffic on it.

As for accommodation, forget Uniondale. Willowmore is not that far out and its where I have stayed the previous 4 times I rode K2C.

If you want accommodation in nearby towns, now is the time to book