Karoo To Coast 2015

ErikD

Hey guys, this will be my first K2C - so random question;

I figured that because this is gravel roads and not trails or mountains, I should be fine riding on the last legs of my current set of tyres before I bin them.  I heard over the weekend that apparently tyres don't do well on K2C and that some people ride spares...

What's the verdict here - fresh tyres or throw away my old set on Monday after the race?

To add to what the others said  - if you are bombing down Prince Alfred pass at speeds of more than 60km/h, with sharp & lose gravel turns - do you really want to do it on old tyres that are on their end.. 

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To add to what the others said  - if you are bombing down Prince Alfred pass at speeds of more than 60km/h, with sharp & lose gravel turns - do you really want to do it on old tyres that are on their end.. 

Try doing it on over inflated old tyres :thumbup:  that gets the adrenaline pumping  :whistling:

Try doing it on over inflated old tyres :thumbup:  that gets the adrenaline pumping  :whistling:

May just have to - fitted new Conti X-King, the thing is warped, straight out of the box. tread runs 1.5cm side to side, whilst beading is perfect, rim is straight.  And no amount of re-seating or soaping up the tyre sorted it out... so may have to run on my old tyre.

Won't have time to replace the new one...

Slip 'n slide - always fun!

edit: spelling

If someone is willing to drive my car from Uniondale to Knysna the Sunday morning please let me know.

I would give the person R400

Johann

082 445 3104

hang af watse kar jy het...  :ph34r:

I hate taking a tyre that's got a bit of tread left off, because I'll never fit it again - once it's off, it's off. mmm, maybe should go and rip some dh during the week to write the rear off, and have a reason to fit new ones. 

Anyways, looking forward to the ride!

Whom else is staying in the general camping area the night before?

Camping! Great fun ,hope for no rain,snow or frost!!!

Snip snip.

Whom else is staying in the general camping area the night before?

Did it once before, never again.

Was cold as can be.

Very noisy with cars coming and going all night, people pitching tents, looking for other people, snoring & farting (ok, that was in my tent :whistling: ) music blaring....

Had a guy start his 4 wheeler at some ungodly hour and revved the thing till it idled smoothly, and then let the thing idly for a long time after that (dunno if he was cold and looking for heat) .

Breaking up camp in the early morning, folding wet tents, etc.

NOT FUN AT ALL.

If someone is willing to drive my car from Uniondale to Knysna the Sunday morning please let me know.

I would give the person R400

Johann

082 445 3104

Johann are you sorted?

I would not camp before K2C. When we leave Willowmore on race day I usually have to scrape the ice off the windscreen. 

haha, I camped there a couple of years ago - was the driver for a couple of friends. Had a pretty good experience in the camp area then.

What do you guys do for a breakfast the morning before K2C?

Yup. Rather wake up at stupid o'clock and drive to Uniondale than freeze my nuts off in a tent.

Willowmore to Uniondale takes me 30 minutes, so it is not that much earlier.

What do you guys do for a breakfast the morning before K2C?

My pre-race breakfast is always a can of Monster Zero. Don't know why but when I have that before a ride I always ride lekker. Probably because I don't take in a lot of caffeine normally.

Archived