So was this bike sold this morning?

Joebike

Ok, My share of Scammers this weekend...:

A tip: don't use your home address. Even if the deal doesn't go through people will now know where a bike is kept. Same with Gumtree, NEVER publish your full ad. Dodge people work their way through the ads to see where what's advertised then pop in for some "lay buy" shopping.

For ads and views I use my work address. Not practical or possible for all, but you won't see me give my home address out for free. 

Some good ideas in this thread on how to take thing forward and great to hear some of them will be live soon. There will ALWAYS be another way or loophole, but the more difficult it becomes the better. Hopefully clamping down here will send them somewhere else which will at least make The Hub safer.

Just remember that a guy looking to acquire a bike quick and easy will do so one way or another and the tougher it becomes on here the rougher it will get out on the trails. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds interesting. But i think the idea of verified seller should definitely happen as a first step. And no one is liable for any deals. These rules or endorsements would simply be a way of making it hard for occupational scammers to posts rubbish. You would still be responsible for not being stupid and making a deal without thinking it through. No system is full proof BUT as i said earlier it would suck to see the classifieds turn into a gumtree situation where every second ad is a scam. These rules would also only protect the buyer. These guys could still log on to the hub and try buy stuff. So stay vigilant lads.

in New Zealand they have a site called trade me.

your were able to sell you things but on a regular basis you were asked to take another pic with the product and a news paper together showing the current date.

this shows that you physically have the product that you are trying to sell. this stops the copy and paste ads.

A tip: don't use your home address. Even if the deal doesn't go through people will now know where a bike is kept. Same with Gumtree, NEVER publish your full ad. Dodge people work their way through the ads to see where what's advertised then pop in for some "lay buy" shopping.

For ads and views I use my work address. Not practical or possible for all, but you won't see me give my home address out for free. 

Some good ideas in this thread on how to take thing forward and great to hear some of them will be live soon. There will ALWAYS be another way or loophole, but the more difficult it becomes the better. Hopefully clamping down here will send them somewhere else which will at least make The Hub safer.

Just remember that a guy looking to acquire a bike quick and easy will do so one way or another and the tougher it becomes on here the rougher it will get out on the trails. 

I never give my home address, unless I know and have sussed you out good enough to do so...

I had 2 guys view the bike at my home, but after extensive research into who they are, before allowing them to do so...

I even gave them a feel of the bike around the neighbourhood, no problem, but they ended up buying something else... If you buy from me, I will want you to be completely and totally comfortable with what I'm offering, as a disgruntled buyer, can ruin your life or chance of trying to resell something later on...

I also, believe in what goes around comes around... but that for another day...

If I feel comfortable with who you are, no problem, if not, then my work address it is as well..

and that's why censorship on the hub is a bad idea, allowing the guys in the know to interrogate these guys is the only defense a noob may have on here.

your were able to sell you things but on a regular basis you were asked to take another pic with the product and a news paper together showing the current date.

this shows that you physically have the product that you are trying to sell. this stops the copy and paste ads.

Sterling idea....

That serves two fold

1.The oke actually have the goods to sell...scammers normally dont

2.Forces someone to post a pic with said good...lots of ads dont have pics

like!!!!

Musketeers or should I say hubbers stick together. One for all and all for one boys..we have to keep these scammers of the hub!

Ja but imagine if okes like mayhem or I have to take pictures with our goods, we would have all the GF's and wives calling us to "buy" things for their spouses all the time..  :whistling: looking for services and tips, etc .... won't work :w00t:

Been saying that for ages. Everyone on the hub now with more than 50 posts and if you are "approved" by someone who has this "rating" or has a sellers rating. I mean, most guys hear of the hub through a friend or at least knows someone on the trail who can "endorse them". Its a fairly easy idea. If these Scammers get into the classifieds it will ruin the community

I once got peed off when rouxtjie laid down his terms and conditions...but unfortunately you have no choice now days. Only buy from guys with enough ratings and posts.. R35 000 is a lot of money...

Ja but imagine if okes like mayhem or I have to take pictures with our goods, we would have all the GF's and wives calling us to "buy" things for their spouses all the time..  :whistling: looking for services and tips, etc .... won't work :w00t:

or very possibly you would not sell a single item..

.....................take another pic with the product and a news paper together showing the current date...............

Great idea. Next time I sell something, I'll voluntarily do exactly that!

people, why bang heads over problems that have already been solved?

Exhibit 1,

To buy on STEAM, your account needs to have have had Steam Guard enabled and can trade after 7 days, or 15 days without.

Archived