Ironman 70.3 Durban

JScottP

There's no 24% gradient on the route, and I think a 25 is sufficient if you are fairly ok on the uphills. I'll have a 12-27, but then again speed bumps are an effort for me...

maybe they see the onramp as 24%?

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only on ramp we use is the one onto the M4 at Blue Lagoon, and that's pretty gentle. The 2nd lap at Glenashley we go on and off on the north bound side, no incline there.

847... Am surprised at how small the pro field is?!?!?

Not suprising really - Northern hemisphere racing is in full swing, and so it would never be worth it for pros to come down to SA for a race which offers only US3,000 for first prize, when they could eaily do a US / EU race with far more money and points on offer.

what cassette people running. Am 53/39 and thinking of a 11-23 cassette.  Better to go 11-25?

A 39 / 23 high gear should be enough.

For reference I did trirock Durbs last year (pretty much the same bike course) and never changed out of out the 53 big ring with an 11- 25 on the back.    The glass-smooth M4 surface is a pleasure going up hills.  I am more of a low cadence grinder tho...

This year I'm going with a 54 up front and 11-28 and don't plan on changing out of the big ring. 

Have not done the course, hence the question.  If will be mostly in the big ring then might go with 11-25 just incase

The elevation I recorded at Trirock was 941 so 899 is in the ball park...those peaks look hectic.... :) ..they look vertical...possibly 24 is not enough :devil:

:eek:  :eek:   I'll pack a rope ladder.

:clap:

Starting to get that feeling - time is getting closer...  Love the build up to an IM event...

What is the EL elevation gain? 

officially just under 1200m, but I recorded over 1500m both years I did it... 

Will I be able to swim 1900m if I start swim training this weekend....left it a bit late...bike is OK and run Ill manage, but the damn swim...

Will I be able to swim 1900m if I start swim training this weekend....left it a bit late...bike is OK and run Ill manage, but the damn swim...

yeah, if you used to swimming in the past no reason why not....if you a newbie swimmer then NO

Dammit Fanie!

After reading that Im so keen for a race. 

I have Durban planned for 2016 followed by EL in early 2017 then IM PE just after that.

Thought I would give Durban a year to settle in and 2017 is the 10th in EL.

I see there are some changes wrt timing and transition (compared to EL)

1. No cut-offs, you'll just get a DNF, so if you don't make the swim you'll complete the event only to get no result....

2. Timing chip issued at check in, suppose this will prolong the process and people are going to bitch.

3. you rack your own bike at the end of the bike leg

I see there are some changes wrt timing and transition (compared to EL)

1. No cut-offs, you'll just get a DNF, so if you don't make the swim you'll complete the event only to get no result....

2. Timing chip issued at check in, suppose this will prolong the process and people are going to bitch.

3. you rack your own bike at the end of the bike leg

Ja 1 is a result of the new start system - impossible to police otherwise I guess.  At least those who have under-trained or have issues will still get there money's worth now.

3 is a little disappointing.  I can only assume they must be short on volunteers? 

Ja 1 is a result of the new start system - impossible to police otherwise I guess.  At least those who have under-trained or have issues will still get there money's worth now.

3 is a little disappointing.  I can only assume they must be short on volunteers? 

i also think there is a volunteer shortage, and they would rather have volunteers at water points etc.

on the flip side, it should make check out easier, when it comes to finding your bike again.

Archived