Ironman 70.3 Durban

JScottP

Interesting thought. Why would I volunteer for an event which is commercially driven, where the organiser charges premium fee to entrants, exhibitors, has big commercial sponsors and even charges spouses an exorbitant amount to attend the awards ceremony?

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting thought. Why would I volunteer for an event which is commercially driven, where the organiser charges premium fee to entrants, exhibitors, has big commercial sponsors and even charges spouses an exorbitant amount to attend the awards ceremony?

You have a very valid point there...

And yet the masses (2000+ I believe) of volunteers in EL and PE return year after year and are a big part of what makes the events as good as they are.  Would you have all of them paid because IM is a commercial venture?  If so the sport will become truly for the privileged few.

Same goes, for Olympics, world cups etc. 

And yet the masses (2000+ I believe) of volunteers in EL and PE return year after year and are a big part of what makes the events as good as they are.  Would you have all of them paid because IM is a commercial venture?  If so the sport will become truly for the privileged few.

2016 will be the sixth year I'm involved with 70.3 EL as a volunteer.

I don't get paid and I get shouted at by ungrateful athletes with little god complexes, but come January each year I duly line up during race week for my duties, which includes two 14 hour days on race weekend.

why do I go back?

because I can, and because its feels good. 

I don't get paid and I get shouted at by ungrateful athletes with little god complexes, but come January each year I duly line up during race week for my duties, which includes two 14 hour days on race weekend.

why do I go back?

Lekker Fanie! Good on you!

why do I go back?

That's awesome!

It's people like you that make these races possible

Because it's a bargain, you would need to pay R3 800 to be a volunteer at the Epic  :wacko:

why do I go back?

That's awesome!

It's people like you that make these races possible

why do I go back?

thank you Fanie!   I tell everyone about the volunteers as one of the stand out parts of IM/70.3   you guys are amazing.  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Two sides. I volunteer at lots of running races, have been on a club committee and done many other such things but they are all non-profit. But that is running where club is king. Everyone pitches in with something. Typically club members are not allowed to run races hosted by their own club.

I agree that it is the volunteers that make Ironman possible in PE and EL. It can't be an easy sell to get volunteers for a new race with the criteria I raised.

I am curious as to how many triathletes have volunteered at a triathlon?

You would volunteer to be part of the event and vibe more than just being a spectator. Being a volunteer can be a great day out for many a kid.

I don't think involving the community in an event can be seen as exploiting them just because you run the event for a profit.  

I don't think involving the community in an event can be seen as exploiting them just because you run the event for a profit.  

I sort of agree.

Does Ironman have any community programs which they contribute to? Which they can call giving back.

Ironman4thekids is a great initiative which runs on the IM events but I have never heard them say that Ironman has actually donated any money to them.

It also galls me no end that the Argus charges the charities in the region of double the price for a charity entry than a normal entry. I am sure they are not the only one.

have decided that I will do 2016 IM as a participant for the last time and return in 2017 and beyond as a volunteer. I want to be part of the vibe and put something into the sport. I think it a great idea to assist fellow athletes and IM organization.

plus , u get a free lunch :)

i have had my few injuries over the years.everytime that i am injured i volunteer at races be it a tri or bike or run event.whether i help rack bikes or pour coke or wave a flag is irrelevant.it has tought me a lot about all the sports.currently busy qualifying as a timekeeper at swimming events.i firmly believe that for any sport to grow we need people with passion and who has competed whether as a pro or a weekend warrior to pay it forward.i do not want to leave any sport in the hands of a politician.

Archived