Why so many Specializeds for sale?

Myth

Hi,

I am looking at getting a dual suspension at some point in the near future.  So I have been looking at the classifieds on this site for quite a while now, and can't help but notice how many Specialized dual suspension bikes are for sale at any given moment.  Its almost like there 2 Specializeds for every one other bike in the classifieds.  I was wondering if anyone can give a solid explanation to why that is.  And please, I am really looking to find out if there's something implicitly wrong with Specialized bikes (and not just brand bashing please!  Logical explanations!).  My reason for asking is that I have always perceived the Spez brand to be reliable and good, and as such with all the many Spez bikes available to choose from in the classifieds, it would thus perhaps be a good option to look at.  Unless off course there's some explanation to why there's so many of these for sale (due to a fault or something perhaps?).

Thanks in advance...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You see more specialized's than Silverbacks on the trails nowadays :whistling:  

(ps. specialized bikes are still awesome though)

If you think that's bad, you should go check the DH classifieds.  Basically 7 Mongoose Boot'rs for every other bike.  Was obviously all the rage once and then not so much.

Because the Spez spies heard them mention the words 'Tarmac' & 'Roubaix' in a conversation and now they have broken the terms and conditions of their sale as they are registered trademarks being used with out permission. Sale are going to pay lawyers... who also only seem to ride Spez's.*

Note: I have nothing against Spez, Spez riders, Spez bikes and anything that uses the words 'Spez' in it's full form or any of the other trade marks. Please don't sue me. I only talk about Bitumen and that place in northern france between Wattrelos and Croix.Never the R word. 

I'm off to get some pop corn.

There's nothing wrong with a Specialized bike, I have upgraded last year to an Epic Comp Carbon and am very happy with the bike. One thing to take note of is that the Brain Shocks are expensive to service but factoring in how much enjoyment you get within the 50 hour service intervals it is not that bad. I am not punting one brand, I love my Specialized, but I might have also loved a Scott, all up to you to decide.

Yip, I follow a few of the Specialized shops on Facebook and they are selling a lot of bikes, and seem to be opening new concept stores all the time. 

I believe Specialized is the most popular brand by far in races like Cape Epic and Sani2c.

Its like iphones from what I can see. Basically specialized has built their brand on convincing people that each new iteration that they bring out makes the previous one obsolete. They have their customers convinced that they are so gifted that every time they change something it is so earth shatteringly innovative that if you don't have it the competition will leave you behind. This is in direct contrast to brands like Cotic (yes I bought their hype) where the brand is built on a bulletproof product that is a classic and sees little change other than keeping up with changing standards. Some people like innovation it gives them a thrill others like bullet proof classics for the same reason. The difference is the classics business model will mean that people upgrade far slower and this is bad if you want the big bucks. This is the reason that people hate specialized as far as I can see. And its the same reason a lot of people hate apple. I for one have a mac book pro and I am very pleased with it. Do I upgrade it every time apple brings out a new one, no because I have to consider whether the magnitude of innovation is in line with the expense. I also drive a ford not a Maserati for this same reason. At the end of the day I've realised that if you put some time and effort into finding the best mouse trap for your needs you won't need a new one every 6 months.

Watch this and you might understand what specialized is up to:

Just out of interest, I searched classifieds here, MTB only, by four brands. These are the number of results found (bikes for sale) for each:

Specialized - 84

Giant - 83

Merida - 73

Scott - 64

So not that many Specialized bikes for sale, relatively.

Specialized Bikes are very pricey so what some people do is buy the bike and after a year of riding sell so that they don't lose to much value. Very popular bike and one of the best dual sis bikes on the market so the market is flooded with them...

There's nothing wrong with a Specialized bike, I have upgraded last year to an Epic Comp Carbon and am very happy with the bike. One thing to take note of is that the Brain Shocks are expensive to service but factoring in how much enjoyment you get within the 50 hour service intervals it is not that bad. I am not punting one brand, I love my Specialized, but I might have also loved a Scott, all up to you to decide.

Surely that can't be right? Only 50 hours? Do you need to service your Brain every 50 hours? At what cost if I may ask?

Just out of interest, I searched classifieds here, MTB only, by four brands. These are the number of results found (bikes for sale) for each:

Specialized - 84

Giant - 83

Merida - 73

Scott - 64

So not that many Specialized bikes for sale, relatively.

Now take those brands advertised and see what the average price would be for each brands bikes for sale ... that would make for interesting reading I am sure.

Archived