Cape Epic 2015 - 1x11 Chainring Advice!

gabyraff

Its my first time racing the Cape Epic, Im a 30years old cyclist, I consider myself a pretty powerful rider but Im still not sure which chainring I should use for the race. Ive been training with a 34t but Im seriously considering putting a 36t. 

I would probably take both, but anyone who knows some of the climbs of this year´s route can give me an advice?

Thanks

Cheers

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gaby I am no expert cyclist or attempting the epic this year. My training buddy that is doing the Epic trains on a 32 and if he can get his hand on a 30, he will go with a 30. I am sure the Epic regulars will assist.

Good luck with the event!

Chatted to a rider who is doing epic no 3.....He is going 30t on a 29er to save the legs for the duration of the race.

If you're riding  34T in the Epic, the big boys better watch out! :eek:  I would recommend a 32T or even a 30T if you can get one. With a 34T you are going to do a lot of pushing up hills...

1x11 in the Epic for Joe Average  will leave you undergunned for some of the climbs OR undergunned for when the bunches leave in the mornings.

http://www.j-berkemeier.de/Ritzelrechner.html

Play around with this calculator and decide for yourself.

Do not underestimate the climbs.

As for me, the minimum would be a 2x10 with 24/38 rings and a 36/11 cassette...

I looked after 6 teams at the 2014 edition of the Epic. 7 of the riders were on 1x11. 1 @ 36, 3 @ 34, 3 @ 32

The strongest team was aiming for a top 25 finish but blew it on day 1 when the guy on the 36 blade hit the hills. Limped in around 130th on the day, absolutely shattered, surprised by the severity of the climbing and the duration of the stage.

I fitted a 34 that night, they finished top 30 every other stage but ended in the top 50 due to stage 1 and the 36 blade. 

And with respect to you, this guy was a beast.  So, unless you think you are a top 20 team, my advice would be to avoid the 36. You are just not strong enough over 800km and 16,000m of climbing.

Don't worry about top end, the Epic is not about going fast on flat gravel roads. Focus on being able to spin up a 10% gradient at 10+kph at 90 cadence.

34 or if you are really strong 36 for the prolog and 30 or 32 for the rest.

I think most of the top vets riders will be using 30's - certainly all the ones I know are planning to use 30 at this point.

I have looked at my partner spinning a 22 x 36 up some hills and on more than 1 occasion have wished I had 1 more gear... (24 x 36)

34 or if you are really strong 36 for the prolog and 30 or 32 for the rest.

I think most of the top vets riders will be using 30's - certainly all the ones I know are planning to use 30 at this point.

I have looked at my partner spinning a 22 x 36 up some hills and on more than 1 occasion have wished I had 1 more gear... (24 x 36)

:whistling:

You are aware that you suggest more than 1 chainring, no? :clap:

I wonder when the road proffies will start riding 1x11 on the major tours

Are there rules that stop them from doing this?

:whistling:

You are aware that you suggest more than 1 chainring, no? :clap:

Yes - same strategy Mr Kulhavy and Sauser have.... - big one for the prolog and smaller thereafter..

This is the one race you definitely do not want to get caught out with the incorrect gearing selection. I would stick to 2x10 as there are huge, long climbs and sections of long district road. Rather have options, you will need it

I wonder when the road proffies will start riding 1x11 on the major tours

Are there rules that stop them from doing this?

They won't.

Although the ratio between top and bottom of a 1x11 can be the same as a 53/39 with an 11-23, the jump between gears will always be more than double what is available on a 53/39. On the mountain a 13% to 17% jump between gears doesn't seem to make a difference but on the road it is a killer, you'll never find the perfect gear for your speed and cadence.

Typically a 53/39 will jump between 4% and 7% per gear across the 22 selectable gears.

In addition, the UCI weight limits mean the saving on dropping the FD is irrelevant, until on the mountain.

Having said that, Shimano XTR Di2 has taken these huge jumps into account and moves front and rear simultaneously to make the increment smaller.  Watch out for more MTB pros riding doubles or triples at marathons.

I saw soooo many guys pop on a 34, never mind 36.. I'll take a 32 and 34 but pretty sure the 34 would just gather dust. 

Archived