Garmin Fenix 3

StevieL

I treat it the same as an expensive phone and got a screen protector. E-bay = something like R30-R50. For a bunch of them...

My first one I installed is still 100% after months of use.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wear mine 24/7 and have done so for the last 5 months.

Gyming, Trail Running, Mountainbiking etc. Not a single scratch on the glass at all.

Few smallish scuffs on the ring but as I said in an earlier post, this is an outdoor sports watch and those few little marks will happen.

Should I really get a big scratch I will order a replacement glass / ring and get it fitted.

Anyone else find that Garmin Connect does not recognise the device (Garmin fēnix 3) when uploading new workouts?

I noticed this too. Amazing that the file pushed to Strava has the device in it? What's up with that?

Not a single scratch and got it last year June. I will add to rather go for silver bezel due to scratches IMHO

Not a single scratch and got it last year June. I will add to rather go for silver bezel due to scratches IMHO

I had the same thought and actually prefer the silver.

I got word from garmin sa that the new versions should be here middle to late Feb, think I might just wait.

I want to hear from those of you that have the standard fenix 3 i.e. not the sapphire. By now most of you have been using your watches for quite some time and I want to know how the glass is holding up in terms of scratches?

No problems with the glass, just a few scratches on the bezel. 

I ended up hard resetting my device in order to have the unit recognised as a fēnix 3 on GC.

I've been using mine daily for everything since I got it (pre SA launch from Clever Training). Glass is fine and a couple of scratches on the bezel only. Nothing worth worrying about, but in hind sight, I would have gone with the silver.

• 1 month later...

Now available with HR built into watch! Waiting for stock to arrive anywhere then I am in for this

Now available with HR built into watch! Waiting for stock to arrive anywhere then I am in for this

Price? I think these new ones with built in heart rate is going to be very expensive

They are usd600/gbp485

So expect 10-11k here

Ja.... The sapphire is now over 11 here so id say look at 12 maybe higher.

The doller/zar is bad! And getting worse

I've been wanting to do that even since the Mio sensors were out but it seems that the accuracy vs chest strap is just not there yet.

http://www.wareable.com/sport/heart-rate-monitors-chest-straps-v-wrist

I don't mind a chest strap that much really but util the optical wrist monitoring is more accurate I think I'll wait.

In my experience, optical wrist heart rate is pretty damn accurate. I have worn my Suunto chest strap and my wifes Tomtom Multisport HR to compare. The heartrate was either identical or 1 BMP difference.

I'm super amped for this watch but as a mountain biker first and a triathlete second, I would not get the optical HR version. I prefer the watch mounted to the handebars for easy viewing, plus when the trail gets bumpy and the watch starts shaking around on your wrist, I imagine the optical HR wouldn't work so smoothly.

In my experience, optical wrist heart rate is pretty damn accurate. I have worn my Suunto chest strap and my wifes Tomtom Multisport HR to compare. The heartrate was either identical or 1 BMP difference.

I'm super amped for this watch but as a mountain biker first and a triathlete second, I would not get the optical HR version. I prefer the watch mounted to the handebars for easy viewing, plus when the trail gets bumpy and the watch starts shaking around on your wrist, I imagine the optical HR wouldn't work so smoothly.

agree with you there.

also found having the fenix strapped to the bike saved it from a few hard hard knocks when I run out of talent.

fenix on the bars - optical sensor worth bupkiss

I also find that I manage to sometimes bump a button here and there, and have stopped my recording mid-ride. Especially if it's a particularly technical section of trail... 

Getting a bar mount for this reason specifically... 

I also find that I manage to sometimes bump a button here and there, and have stopped my recording mid-ride. Especially if it's a particularly technical section of trail... 

Getting a bar mount for this reason specifically... 

Yeah those are also reasons for not going that route and also tend to loosen the strap a bit more when on the Wattbike so I can turn the watch to the side of my arm to enable easy viewing.

The main gripe people have is that a strap is uncomfortable and chafes but I have the HRM-Tri version and really haven't experienced this even on long rides and runs.

Anyways think it will come down to personal pref in the end.