Statement regarding alternative routes for 2015 Cape Town Cycle Tour

News bot

I, like many, travel in from Simons Town for the race, so could be a problem getting to the start no matter what the route if changed.....

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree man! I rode through there on Saturday and the road has level changes (like manhole covers 10cm above the road surface) and only one lane (3m max) going between Muizenberg and St James - the other half is still sand and not even ready for tarmac

THAT section is now proudly sponsored by MediClinic and ER24 (+ a couple of ortho surgeons)...they will have a field day and might as well put up a field hospital right there... no need for evacuating poor cyclists!!

I, like many, travel in from Simons Town for the race, so could be a problem getting to the start no matter what the route if changed.....

Catch the train. I go from fish hoek and have caught the train the last few years. Works like a bomb.

Was referring to the prologue on Table Mountain - if the fire / smoke gets there.

to affect the Epic it is has to burn down another forest and about 10BillionZAR worth of houses and you care about a mountain bike race.....

really.....?

Guest Smimby

I'm not riding in the northern suburbs.

Or up the west coast for that matter! :)

going to be a real tough call for the race organizers......

Why not???

to affect the Epic it is has to burn down another forest and about 10BillionZAR worth of houses and you care about a mountain bike race.....

really.....?

Wow you're on a roll!

Catch the train. I go from fish hoek and have caught the train the last few years. Works like a bomb.

So I hope on the Train at Simons Town station with my bike? Start close to a station? Sorry from Jhb....

So I hope on the Train at Simons Town station with my bike? Start close to a station? Sorry from Jhb....

start is AT the train station. you get off the train, walk out the station door and into your start pen.

Has anyone thought of all the cyclists who actually DIED in preperation for this event? It would be such a tragic, yet ironic turn of events if the entire event has to be cancelled...actually un-imagainable!! (not that those loss of cyclists lives could ever have been justified...)

If the event is cancelled, we will not be refunded our entry fees! It is in the terms and conditions that we all agreed to when we entered! The organisers reserve the right to cancel the event due to unsafe conditions and /or natural disasters.

I think it is very short notice to have the route completely changed! Lets wait and see what they say at the press conference at 16h00!

missed that part.....thanks for telling me!

Just in: CTCT press conference delayed untill 18:30.

Hectic stuff

Western Cape Premier Helen Zille says the fires in Cape Town are under control, but the situation was under control on Tuesday night when the wind switched and they flared up again.

"The risk is matched by the resource, the current situation is that they have it under control," she said.

from news 24 stamped 13:12

I reckon with it being under control they are hanging off as long as possible to make a call on a route.

13:23
ShareIcon

Zille said she has full confidence that the fire teams will put the fire out by Sunday, when the Cape Town Cycle Tour takes place.

"It is known as the most scenic cycle tour in the world but now it will tour through some of the greatest devastation that peninsula has ever seen, which will be heart-wrenching," she said.

Don't worry i'm also from joburg. Yip you do as you said. Just remember to buy a ticket from the train station or the expo before hand. Its slightly more expensive than a normal ticket as its a Bicycle transport ticket. Last year I think it was R40 return(which I still thought was cheap). Its like a 2 min ride from station to start. Just check train schedule and your start time. I start at 06h20 and MUST catch the first train which gets there just in time. Last year there where some people at the expo selling tickets, They where at the exit of the registration spot(just before going through to official merchandise section) on the right hand side.