Cape Town Cycle Tour will go ahead, detour route now 47km

carbon29er

On the other hand I think the CTCC could have had a better back up plan for a non-penninsula route.  

Easy to say in hindsight but think about it a bit, a massive fire that engulfs the whole peninsula during racing week is really a once in a lifetime kind of occurrence -  to have a back-up plan for every possible scenario is only a pipe dream. 

Think a bit about the practicalities of having "back-up non-peninsula" route, huge costs, red tape, negations, communications etc involved in getting a 110km urban stretch closed for a day + another 110km of roads for just in case - Only for the odd 1 in a 100 chance that you have to phone  SANRAL on the Wednesday before the race and say, "listen it would be nice if we can use that 2nd option we talked about earlier"

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only one thing left to do:  If you are already in CPT and entered for the funride.  Put on some knobbly tires and do it on the MTB.  At least you will have to work a bit to get the distance done.

That said, I am very disappointed on behalf of the riders form far away.  Ou Kaapse Weg should be an option for those willing to risk inhaling some soot.  Smoking is still legal, so I should be able to decide for myself if want to risk inhaling anything but fresh air.

i wonder what the effect on seeding  this situation will have:

no effect on seeding? do they freeze last year's contribution over to next year with no penalties applying? or what?

I'd also love to know. If no seeding then may start later with SurvMTB

So has anybody been down to the expo yet.....no complaints. ..is it going smoothly and you were in and out in under 5 mins...

One of the guys just went, in and out in 5 minutes, easy parking, confirmed will get refund for 2nd lap

Guest Smimby

Easy to say in hindsight but think about it a bit, a massive fire that engulfs the whole peninsula during racing week is really a once in a lifetime kind of occurrence -  to have a back-up plan for every possible scenario is only a pipe dream. 

Think a bit about the practicalities of having "back-up non-peninsula" route, huge costs, red tape, negations, communications etc involved in getting a 110km urban stretch closed for a day + another 110km of roads for just in case - Only for the odd 1 in a 100 chance that you have to phone  SANRAL on the Wednesday before the race and say, "listen it would be nice if we can use that 2nd option we talked about earlier"

They could started on Monday....and how about just saying to the public why they did NOT want to take the route North

Then we would not be having this debate.

More importantly....where is the Vigin Angels gonna be....they usually at the top of Suikerbossie. ...maybe Hospital bend on the way back....I like the angels.....????????????????????

Now that is a right royal COP OUT ! and VERY VERY disappointing !

Shows complete lack of planing

Yes. They should have asked God when he was planning to start the fires. Dumbheads. Can't think further than their noses!!!

Guest Smimby

Yes. They should have asked God when he was planning to start the fires. Dumbheads. Can't think further than their noses!!!

How do you know the person's name was "god" ?

Did anyone see the cut-off time after 26km is 11h30 and the final is 13h00.

If you start at 10h00 like some people do it might be an issue to make it in time with the road beeing congested.

They could started on Monday....and how about just saying to the public why they did NOT want to take the route North

Then we would not be having this debate.

Again, easy with hindsight, on Monday nobody knew the fire was going to turn out this badly.

So what if on Monday the took the call to take the alternative route and on wednesday the fire was dead and the old route was open again? What do they do then?  Would Monday have been enough to put a whole new route in place? I don't know but I doubt it, I think it takes much more than a few phone calls & emails and then rocking up with your watertables.

If you start at 10h00 like some people do it might be an issue to make it in time with the road beeing congested.

It wont be congested when they clear off all the people who couldn't go 18kmh.

Guest Smimby

Again, easy with hindsight, on Monday nobody knew the fire was going to turn out this badly.

So what if on Monday the took the call to take the alternative route and on wednesday the fire was dead and the old route was open again? What do they do then?  Would Monday have been enough to put a whole new route in place? I don't know but I doubt it, I think it takes much more than a few phone calls & emails and then rocking up with your watertables.

Not made the call on Monday, but at least put a proper alternate route in place.

Finishing within cut-off could indeed be a challenge for some backmarkers.

Would Monday have been enough to put a whole new route in place?

I hear you.....

But I think the general meaning of the question is this:

Surely with an event of this magnitude and budget they would have had a chance in the past say.....what.....38 years??! that the event has taken place at some point thought about plan B? 

Maybe I am just a person that sees risk and plans ahead.......I have expected too much.