Cape Town Cycle Tour will go ahead, detour route now 47km

carbon29er

And they will only use one location out of the options available....and the city will be onboard. ..no need to double the cost..

... until there is another unforeseen disaster like a Tsunami taking beach road 3 days before the event. Then every single wize-ass will ask why a backup finish venue was not in place. 

If you consider all the variables and the likelihood of low risk items escalating into high risk, and plan on worst case scenario on each risk aspect, you will need more than just full double redundancy. 

Imagine they had to plan for a possible gale-force wind, or a heat wave, or a building falling down in Clifton, or a storm causing a road collapse in 3 anchor bay, or flash floods... the list can go on, but I am sure you get what I am saying. 

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Smimby

Just heard David Bellairs say that a proper alternative route is definitely on the cards for future CTCTs given the effect on this year's race.

Fantastic, so they more than likely apply and sort it proper. From Monday as suggested here.

:-)

I wonder if he has been reading this thread, lol

Edited by Smimby

..and therein lies the issue "dependant on" this denotes uncertainty. The argument was rather simply remove this uncertainly and make a call based on the facts on hand at the time. People understand its a fluid issue and things can change, all they want to know is where they stand early enough so they can also make decisions, keeping them hanging till the last minute is not good PR.   

Listen to DB's radio interview. Imagine they made the call on Monday, and the wind changed  that evening and the route was ride-able. There is not much change in your original planning for the day, apart from finishing in about half the time, so the missus may have to come pick you up earlier. I will probably take a ride home afterwards rather than try and find parking in Green Point. It will add another 25 odd kms to my ride. 

Just heard David Bellairs say that a proper alternative route is definitely on the cards for future CTCTs given the effect on this year's race.

Indeed, one hopes they learn from it. History is an important part of risk assessment and if it means future events will have a proper viable alternative, then one can say it hasn't been in vain.

Fantastic, so they more than likely apply and sort it proper. From Monday as suggested here.

:-)

I wonder if he has been reading this thread, lol

Lets just hope that no unforeseen disaster pops up rendering the alternative, alternative route unride-able. 

Guest Smimby

Listen to DB's radio interview. Imagine they made the call on Monday, and the wind changed  that evening and the route was ride-able. There is not much change in your original planning for the day, apart from finishing in about half the time, so the missus may have to come pick you up earlier. I will probably take a ride home afterwards rather than try and find parking in Green Point. It will add another 25 odd kms to my ride. 

If they said that a HALF route MIGHT be an option, it is possible that many people would have canceled flights etc on Monday.

I also think that CTCT could have updated the media more than just say, ""please dont call us" 

Guest Smimby

Lets just hope that no unforeseen disaster pops up rendering the alternative, alternative route unride-able.

Jinne dude.....

Debate, dont just criticize other people

Edit: meant to say. Debate more with less sarcasm

Edited by Smimby

I propose that all the moaners, whiners and whingers who deem it below themselves to ride the Argus Lite donate their entries to the pilots and fire teams who bravely fought this monster in our midst, and let these absolute hero's ride a lap of honour in the midst of the people who really love this city. Damn, I will be honoured to ride with them, even if it takes me 5 hours to finish. Maybe even give them your bikes to ride on, then you can go stand on the sidewalk and really let rip with your self vindication.

Cool....I'm a happy chappy..and and they better not double that entry fee...????????

If they said that a HALF route MIGHT be an option, it is possible that many people would have canceled flights etc on Monday.

I also think that CTCT could have updated the media more than just say, ""please dont call us" 

fair comment. I am also in favor of a more transparent approach in future. Perhaps publish the possible alternatives and broadly what could trigger implementation of an alternative? or does that open a whole new truck load of worms?  

..and therein lies the issue "dependant on" this denotes uncertainty. The argument was rather simply remove this uncertainly and make a call based on the facts on hand at the time. People understand its a fluid issue and things can change, all they want to know is where they stand early enough so they can also make decisions, keeping them hanging till the last minute is not good PR.

As G mentioned the option to ride the long route was very much still viable. Yes, dependent on, as most of the fires on the mountain are typically brought under control and put out within that time period. The elements on this occasion did not make that a reality and its therefore an unplanned, unforeseen natural disaster that has effectively shortened the route to what it is.

Sure, I hear you, but think of the guys sitting in Limpopo or Gauteng, its not as easy as investing 200 bucks in gas round trip to my home and back, its a relatively costly exercise that they may have sacrificed a lot to achieve, a call had to be made either way, its just my opinion it should have been made earlier.  

Jinne dude.....

Debate, dont just criticize other people

my point is valid, when another disaster hits us from left-field and it was not considered we will have another 700 posts about risk management, and I will only be responsible for like half of them.