Cape Town Cycle Tour will go ahead, detour route now 47km

carbon29er

I have posted this on the Ou Kaapse Weg thread but think it is more appropriate here:

Wouldn't it be a great idea if the CTCT was opened to anyone now for a fee of, say, R100?

All cyclists who have not entered yet could take part and the extra fees raised could go to the Volunteer WildfireServices.

The race has, after all, lost half its distance and could gain something extra. It could be a wonderful initiative with benefits and could be remembered in the future as something special in which many got to participate. 

And where would all these people cycle? On a 47km stretch? Those that have paid aren't even allowed a second lap because of congestion.

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And where would all these people cycle? On a 47km stretch? Those that have paid aren't even allowed a second lap because of congestion.

The race is shorter so each group would finish earlier. That would surely allow more groups, filling the day. Agreed, some extra people would require some planning and I don't know how the CTCT is planned ito logistics but couldn't extra people be fitted in in the extra time?

I have posted this on the Ou Kaapse Weg thread but think it is more appropriate here:

Wouldn't it be a great idea if the CTCT was opened to anyone now for a fee of, say, R100?

All cyclists who have not entered yet could take part and the extra fees raised could go to the Volunteer WildfireServices.

The race has, after all, lost half its distance and could gain something extra. It could be a wonderful initiative with benefits and could be remembered in the future as something special in which many got to participate. 

Think about it.  Say 20 000 take up this offer.  No seeding.  No numbers.  It will be utter mayhem and carnage.  You are still welcome to donate the R100 though.

Whilst a noble idea, issues around safety, liability and indemnity will never allow it to happen. I don't think the average rider understands the public safety and liability issues in the background of staging an event, let alone one the scale of CTCT.

Think about it.  Say 20 000 take up this offer.  No seeding.  No numbers.  It will be utter mayhem and carnage.  You are still welcome to donate the R100 though.

OK, I've never done a road race and appreciate that a lot of planning goes into it. And I take your point. But couldn't the extra folk be added as extra batches after all the regular seeds and entries have started? 

OK, I've never done a road race and appreciate that a lot of planning goes into it. And I take your point. But couldn't the extra folk be added as extra batches after all the regular seeds and entries have started? 

The roads are reopened at 13:00. There is no extra time. Half the distance, half the time allowed.

The roads are reopened at 13:00. There is no extra time. Half the distance, half the time allowed.

Ah. Ah well, c'est la vie. You riding?

I would have loved to join in the ride..

I entered.. didn't get in

played enter lotto...

got in.. 20 minutes later didn't get in.

So I decided not to do the Argus...

but I so wish I could be there now and get on my bike and ride today and tomorrow and Sunday.....

Noble idea, :thumbup:  but I don't think it can be accommodated in practice. :(

I would have loved to join in the ride..

I entered.. didn't get in

played enter lotto...

got in.. 20 minutes later didn't get in.

So I decided not to do the Argus...

but I so wish I could be there now and get on my bike and ride today and tomorrow and Sunday.....

Dude, I like your attitude :thumbup:

........................If I ever wanted to do an Argus, this would be the one, and I will be sure to take as long as I can to cover the new distance decided upon, take time to greet fellow cyclists, give others a hug, banter and show my support to the people of Cape Town ...............

Wyatt, I like your attitude too :thumbup:

@Wyatt: Auction your back wheel for next year. Do the second lap for fun and have the weekend for free. Howzat for capitalism? :thumbup:

Meaning the chance to have The Sheriff be your domestique? Cool idea! Will it also include photographs taken on the ride, or just the right to wheel suck all the way to the finish?   

Ah. Ah well, c'est la vie. You riding?

Jip. I will be one of the thousands cycling over to Houtbaai. Is it still possible/ advisable? I am struggling for an idea to show my solidarity (Fireman's' helmet is not an option) - suggestions?

Meaning the chance to have The Sheriff be your domestique? Cool idea! Will it also include photographs taken on the ride, or just the right to wheel suck all the way to the finish?   

The whole thing. Including legend status and bragging rights. Maybe a Hub pack?

HAQvq4Cp_normal.jpeg Mark Renshaw @Mark_Renshaw  ·  16h 16 hours ago

Arrived in Cape Town and settled in nicely. A crazy time here with bush fires and high winds the last couple of days. Hope everyone is ok.

HAQvq4Cp_normal.jpegMark Renshaw @Mark_Renshaw · 16h 16 hours ago

Arrived in Cape Town and settled in nicely. A crazy time here with bush fires and high winds the last couple of days. Hope everyone is ok.

See if they can still come out for 47km surely the moaners can too[emoji12]