Newbie here. Momsen bikes any good?

hydrobum

Guest Karma

Momsen? Never heard of it ????...

I like the Vipa, looks the part and great reviews ????????????

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also have the carbon vipa, great bike, build for racing. Go for the ac, you will enjoy the bike. Not a fan of hardtail bikes, prefer the little extra comfort.

I have the team addition SL 929 R type. Love the geometry and love the bike. Would I buy another Momsen after this. NOPE! Don't like the geometry of the new hardtail frame. Think there is a lot of hype about the Vypa for nothing. Service from Momsen is bad according to what I hear to the extent that a few bikeshops I know of don't stock them anymore

Giant Anthem good value as well at around 30k. Good components, well proven suspension design... and great fun to ride. Haven't ridden the Momsen, so cant compare but the Anthem has been a really awesome bike... just look at the number of them at events if you need more proof

Buy the latest issue of Tread, in which the VIPA AC is reviewed. The mag says that it isn't a very accomplished climber. 

And besides, making the rear triangle carbon and the front alu is IDIOTIC!

Buy the latest issue of Tread, in which the VIPA AC is reviewed. The mag says that it isn't a very accomplished climber. 

Yeah, the carbon triangle didn't quiet make sense to me either.

Anyway, would the Titan Pro bike good bike to buy. Got Shimano XT fitted on them. Was comparing this over the momsen AL429 which is slighter lower spec. At about the same price range ~R17k. The Titan carbon pro is a hard tail going to R25k which will be cheaper than the Vipa ac. So wondering is it worth the upgrade over the alu Titan pro bike.

Tough decisions on what to buy! Will take a look at the Anthems.

Damn...just found out servicing a soft tail is quiet a few times more than a hardtail! This now pushes me to a hardtail bike rather!

Hardtails are expensive...you lose money when you sell them 6 months later to buy dual sus. :)

I have the carbon Vipa and I love the bike. Before that I came off a Titan hardtail (more of an entry level one at around 10k)

I would definitely not spend 25k on a hardtail as you will definitely be looking upgrade to a duel sus in the near future. Titan bikes are great value for money but at that price point I would not consider one. I still believe a cheaper entry level bike might serve you well.

Don't get me wrong, mountain biking is a great fun, but its sometimes not as easy as it looks (which is why there are so many clothing hangers) . There's always a hill to climb before the real fun can begin and once you doing the fun part, you are definitely going to fall a good couple of times. This is when you wish you had that "cheap" bike to learn new skills and push some boundaries.

But hey, if you have money to burn then I believe the giant anthem is also a good option. :)

Abso-bloody-lutely! Did the OP get that wrong? Can't be arsed to check  :mellow:

Why all the lack of love for Hardtail MTB's?

The OP doesn't say where in Gauteng he is considering riding, but I would say that IMO a hardtail is pretty much a perfect bike for the XC riding you can find in this area.

Actually, scotch all of that. I see the OP is intending to ride around his residential estate with his mates in the morning. Ja, no, well fine..... Makro have some fine bikes that would perform that function better than the Momsen.

Just checked. They have a lovely Totem React which will be perfect for you. Send me the 30K and I'll deliver one to your door  :whistling:

LOL SAGecko!

We got 37km in Waterfall Estate so that's plenty enough riding in the morning. Got 2 young ones at home so have basically given up golfing.

So want to get something nice that I don't need to upgrade in future.

Very tempting to jump on a used classified bike as most of them on sale are sweet bikes!

Yeah, the carbon triangle didn't quiet make sense to me either.

Anyway, would the Titan Pro bike good bike to buy. Got Shimano XT fitted on them. Was comparing this over the momsen AL429 which is slighter lower spec. At about the same price range ~R17k. The Titan carbon pro is a hard tail going to R25k which will be cheaper than the Vipa ac. So wondering is it worth the upgrade over the alu Titan pro bike.

Tough decisions on what to buy! Will take a look at the Anthems.

Why not have a look at Specialized Crave or Rockhopper? Great bikes and more than sufficient for the riding you'll be doing.

• 3 weeks later...

I would stick my head out here...I like the Vipa and done the Epic on it. Had a well specked MTB(name does not matter) and changed to the Vipa..climbed very good..36 blade(1X10) and goes down as hard as far as you want to leave the breaks...you do not get scared.

The issues on rear triangle are sorted and as all brands it takes time to solve every weight issue cracks etc. The new triangles look awesome and made much stronger.

Yes I would buy again as my body felt nothing after the Epic and could ride 2 days after and race in same week.

It looks after your body, and yes...90% of the bikes are great out there. Find one you like, then you would be fast, strong and cant wait to get out with your mates, riding trails and having fun.

Not about the bike. Just buy from a reputable bike shop and service ..service all bearings before a stage race. The bike can only performs as designed if all joints and bearings work 110%.

Also very nice if your friends dont want to load your bike with their bikes..always great fun..

Kind regards