Newbie here. Momsen bikes any good?

hydrobum

Hi all

Outta shape newbie here.  Trying to motivate myself to get into shape and the last time I rode a bike was in my junior years...hope I still got a sense of balance.

So popped into a bike shop the other day and dealer recommended locally made Momsen Vipa AC that is within my budget.  So yea, was going to splurge a little here and spoil myself.  Have a few friends that ride around in our estate in the morning daily so that hopefully will motivate me to join them on their daily crusade.

For the price of the Vipa AC which is not a full carbon bike - just has the rear triangle that is carbon, do you guys think the price is justified?  A friend of mine says can get a full carbon bike for retail under R30k.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

DC

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have one. AL329. I am a heavy oke (130kgs) and do single track ECX etc. Not one day's issue. Go for it.

Ride a Vipa..the best.

Very good parts on it...I am not man enough for all he can show...

Just one question. You are new to the sport, why do you want to spend so much on such a high end machine?

If you don't like the sport you will end up with one hell of an expensive clothes hanger.

If your aim is to get into shape, get something cheaper.

Yes, risk of being an expensive clothes hanger just like my expensive golf clubs.  At least biking will only take 1-2 hours compared to golf 4-6 hours.  I wouldn't consider something +R50k as that now would be squandering so the Vipa AC is within my budget.

So back to the question: is price justified for a non-carbon bike that retails for R36k?  With some haggling, can knock this down a few k's.

I've got the carbon version of the VIPA and according to me it would be worthwhile. Yes, it is a lot of money, but Momsen used exactly the same design for the Alu version - and IMO it is brilliant design. The bike feels very nimble for a 29'er, there is very little bob when climbing and the suspension comes into it's own when you go downhill. 

Just pull the trigger and go for it.......most of your enjoyment will be directly related to your gains in fitness, skill, working capacity and meeting new friends.......and all this while riding an awesome bike.

PS: I am a willing buyer if this does not happen.......not to fussy and enjoy the brand.

To answer your question "The price is justified " It is very nice bike . I have the carbon Vipa and although I have not ridden the aluminium frame logic tells me that the difference (if any) between the 2 frames will be negligible.  Sometimes I think that an aluminium mountain bike frame makes more sense than a carbon frame as it is less prone to be chipped by stones.

Super. Thanks for the input. Do you guys think there's better bikes at this price range? I find as a newbie, am stumped for options.

As for the 5 year warranty on the bike compared to other brands, should I be worried?

Damn...just found out servicing a soft tail is quiet a few times more than a hardtail! This now pushes me to a hardtail bike rather!

Archived