Doping culture in cycling 'still exists' according to Circ report

deanbean

Interesting report on a report

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cycling/31788505

total of 174 anti-doping experts, officials, riders and other interested parties were interviewed. These are the main points:

• One "respected cycling professional" believes that 90% of the peloton is still doping, another put it at 20%
  • Riders are micro-dosing, taking small but regular amounts of a banned substance, to fool the latest detection methods
  • The abuse of Therapeutic Use Exemptions, sick notes, is commonplace, with one rider saying 90% of these are used to boost performance
  • The use of weight-loss drugs, experimental medicine and powerful painkillers is widespread, leading to eating disorders, depression and even crashes
  • With doping done now on a more conservative basis, other forms of cheating are on the rise, particularly related to bikes and equipment
  • Doping in amateur cycling is endemic

makes one wonder if Nibbles was clean in 2014

The whole of 2014 he can't win a thing, always getting dropped on climbs - by just about everyone. Loses 2 min on a single climb to rivals just 3 - 5 weeks before the TDF, but then at the Tour he drops these same people up those big climbs just breathing through his nose.

Not to mention he rides for arguably the dirtiest team in pro cycling (Team Vino)...

Until I get actual facts about doping in the pro peloton I'll remain on the fence for now. But my eyebrow is still getting a bit of exercise....

Spent the last week reading Paul Kimmage's Rough Ride from his time riding in the 80's. And Bad Blood by Jeremy Whittle. The more things stay the same, the more things stay the same. (Coincidentally, I also got 'The Dirtiest Race ever Run' about the Seoul 100m final and it is unsurprising to find athletics was just as bad!). It's a sad indictment, but while sport is professional it is very, very unlikely to ever be clean.

Christophe Bassons book was a very interesting read.

His last chapter talks about his new role in the French anti-doping agency and lists some of the new drugs they're currently dealing with. I hadn't heard of any of them before. They all do one thing really, and that is to boost blood. That's where the battlefront is at. As Tyler Hamilton even said in his book,it all comes down to your blood numbers.

Christophe Bassons book was a very interesting read.

His last chapter talks about his new role in the French anti-doping agency and lists some of the new drugs they're currently dealing with. I hadn't heard of any of them before. They all do one thing really, and that is to boost blood. That's where the battlefront is at. As Tyler Hamilton even said in his book,it all comes down to your blood numbers.

That's a book I've been looking for, just finished reading The secret race by Tyler Hamilton and David Millar's book.

That's a book I've been looking for, just finished reading The secret race by Tyler Hamilton and David Millar's book.

I also read that recently and enjoyed it.

I'm shocked to my core :eek:

Is this the polite way of saying "no $h1t Sherlock" , or is that what we said before loadshedding prevented us from getting shocked?

Edited by WalterWhite

The secret race is a really good book, I have leant mine to a few people and everyone really enjoyed it.

Just saw this ... good summation of the contents?

"3 most important points in CIRC imho:
- riders microdose EPO and 150ml blood bag
- cortisone to lose weight
- Ferrari & Fuentes still active"

Just saw this ... good summation of the contents?

"3 most important points in CIRC imho:

- riders microdose EPO and 150ml blood bag

- cortisone to lose weight

- Ferrari & Fuentes still active"

In their case it's 'once a dope doctor always a dope doctor".

Two things I noted were: 

1 - The number of pros that testified (aka feck all) and none testified to a violation voluntarily 

2 - New doping is all about getting skinny so that power / weight ratio is increased. Up to 7% savings.