2015 Momentum 947

ScottCM

Just keep in mind you need to stick in the front of the bunch :)

Which is always easier said than done...

Started in C last year, but lost the front of the group up Pooks hill (start + hill + cold legs = not happy campers), by the time we got onto Summit, it couldn't have been more than a couple hundred meters. If i remember correctly, it was into a slight head wind on Summit. Tried to bridge the gap to the group but just couldn't, the guy sitting behind me eventually said it wasn't worth it and we should sit up and wait for the next group.

ended up with a 2:46, which was 59th in C group.

VB this year... eish... should be entertaining... 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Warming up adequately for the start up Pooks, from my memory would seem to be quite important. Unless there's lots more tarmac to warm-up on within Riversands this year, and assuming you didn't ride into Riversands, what are people's strategies for warm-up? Take a trainer and warm-up in the car-park/field? Use Pooks as a warm-up and catch the next group? Rule #5? A.n.other?

Cycle 5kms to the start and hope I time my arrival and start time properly. my confidence in this strategy is 2/10

Cycle 5kms to the start and hope I time my arrival and start time properly. my confidence in this strategy is 2/10

As I sat in the queue of traffic last year, I reckoned those cycling in were experiencing the most dangerous part of the day!

Warming up adequately for the start up Pooks, from my memory would seem to be quite important. Unless there's lots more tarmac to warm-up on within Riversands this year, and assuming you didn't ride into Riversands, what are people's strategies for warm-up? Take a trainer and warm-up in the car-park/field? Use Pooks as a warm-up and catch the next group? Rule #5? A.n.other?

I thought that riding from Forways mall would be my warmup. Turns out that it's mostly downhill from Forways mall to the start, so that did not work so well.

My Plan: Pooks as a nice cadence warm up. As the next lead come through - hang on for dear life. Last year the next group was Marianne Vos and co. I wasn't allowed and wouldn't have been able to hold on. Was a long lonely day.

does anybody have power data from a ~2h40 94.7 that they are willing to share?

got an A bunch start for the first time so I guess its a good opportunity to ride a PB if I can stick with the bunch.  Would like to know what wattage I would need to maintain for how long in order to stay in the bunch.

i recently started doing some training on a kickr, so for the first time I have a tool to focus my training a little bit and to try to simulate race conditions based on power.

got an A bunch start for the first time so I guess its a good opportunity to ride a PB if I can stick with the bunch.  Would like to know what wattage I would need to maintain for how long in order to stay in the bunch.

i recently started doing some training on a kickr, so for the first time I have a tool to focus my training a little bit and to try to simulate race conditions based on power.

Not sure about watts, but as long as your legs look like this you should be fine.

post-22004-0-14260300-1442916493_thumb.jpg

Not sure about watts, but as long as your legs look like this you should be fine.

serious legs that those guys have, in that case i'll just fall back to D...  

If you have a kickr then download the 94.7 route from last year and ride it. Its not 100% accurate but it will give you a idea how fast you can get up there and the watts you need to sustain on the hill.

At what speed were the front groups going up Pooks?

serious legs that those guys have, in that case i'll just fall back to D...  

Think I might just join you

VB - 27km/h

VD - 26km/h

AL - 24km/h

Intersting stats - do you have the same for the other hills? If you do please share.

I am in CL so should be able to get up there at around 23km/h. I live in a estate close by the start so will go and do a few rides up there.

Intersting stats - do you have the same for the other hills? If you do please share.

I am in CL so should be able to get up there at around 23km/h. I live in a estate close by the start so will go and do a few rides up there.

Are you on Strava?

All the data can be found there - if you know who rides in which bunch.

Are you on Strava?

All the data can be found there - if you know who rides in which bunch.

I don't use Strava, I should, just don't. Guess I will have to start now.

Archived