2015 Momentum 947

ScottCM

I did a 3:00:01 last year. No, that's not a joke and even a year later it's still not funny. That was the official time anyway...

So, yes, I do have a score to settle, but I won't. My wife is doing her first this year so I'll be joining her. Taking a leisurely ride on my MTB around Jozi with the missus.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also have a huge score to settle. Rode 3h29 last year with my chain dropping twice and got stuck. according my Garmin my actual ride time was 3h20.

Last year was a horrible year training wise and weight wise. For the first time since I started cycling I trained through winter, joined a coach and am 14 kg lighter than lighter since last years race. I'm looking to drop another 5kg before the race and the training is going very well. 

I know I might be a bit optimistic but my aim is 2h50.

I had my body fat measured this morning and its down from 27.1% to 14.7%. Although I don't think the fat% is 100% accurate, the % loss is since it's done by the same person on exactly the same spots.

My total weight is constant over the last 3 weeks which means that I've lost some fat but add some lean muscle, which will come in handy with them hills.

I bought a MTB last month and have entered with a few mates for fun. It will be my first ever 'race' and so I am rather embarrassingly in group SS. Looking forward to a fun day out and just the experience in general. Not looking forward to the mid-day heat though :/

How long before your start time do you guys generally aim to be there? We're probably going to cycle to the start from a friends place near Monte so parking shouldn't be a problem... 

Edited by peregrintook

I bought a MTB last month and have entered with a few mates for fun. It will be my first ever 'race' and so I am rather embarrassingly in group SS. Looking forward to a fun day out and just the experience in general. Not looking forward to the mid-day heat though :/

No need to be embarrassed. A few pages back there were several comments form guys who started in SS on their first attempt, myself included. Word of advice, put a lot of sunscreen on. Especially on your thighs & arms I got burnt to an extreme my first time.

No need to be embarrassed. A few pages back there were several comments form guys who started in SS on their first attempt, myself included. Word of advice, put a lot of sunscreen on. Especially on your thighs & arms I got burnt to an extreme my first time.

Thanks for the advice, Scott. Definitely planning on loading up with sun-screen. I must say that the whole cycling tan thing is very appealing though :P

How long before your start time do you guys generally aim to be there? We're probably going to cycle to the start from a friends place near Monte so parking shouldn't be a problem... 

I would say if you are riding in, try arrive 30min before your start. Try go straight to your pen so you are near the front :ph34r: :whistling: .

If you are driving in, try arrive 2hrs  before your start.

With the new route and the hills at the end, how long into the ride should you be saving your legs?

Edited by Erroli8a8

Thanks for the advice, Scott. Definitely planning on loading up with sun-screen. I must say that the whole cycling tan thing is very appealing though :P

I think you mean a-peeling   :D

post-6252-0-12998300-1442566244_thumb.jpg

I would say if you are riding in, try arrive 30min before your start. Try go straight to your pen so you are near the front :ph34r: :whistling: .

If you are driving in, try arrive 2hrs  before your start.

Awesome, thank you. I think riding in is definitely the best option then considering we're so close to the start.

Being in the front will mean I can get over-taken by as many people as possible :D  

I think you mean a-peeling   :D

attachicon.gifb6114edea3ad606040674a7fded25c22.jpg

Haha! This must be so hard for the ladies to resist  :ph34r:

With the new route and the hills at the end, how long into the ride should you be saving your legs?

Look at it this way. The first 70 km is the warm up and the real race only starts with about 24 km to go (those 5 climbs in this last section will determine your whole day).

For the newbies and those of us whom have short term memory loss here is a reminder of what is install for us after 70km of up and down racing / riding

attachicon.gif947 final 23 km.jpg

So what is hill #1? Witkoppen?

I did a 3:00:01 last year. No, that's not a joke and even a year later it's still not funny. That was the official time anyway...

So, yes, I do have a score to settle, but I won't. My wife is doing her first this year so I'll be joining her. Taking a leisurely ride on my MTB around Jozi with the missus.

Make your missus ride with my sister, I also was planning on a sub 3 until she started riding, now I'm hoping well be done in sub 6, haha.