2015 Momentum 947

ScottCM

I quite like the start, as it's an opportunity to get away from the stragglers ensuring a smaller bunch (bit safer too). I'm sure you would have noticed that too last week Sunday at the R4V start.

Exactly why I hate Emperors Classic so much. The bunches at 80km are massive, because everyone is able to stay in the bunch for pretty much the whole race. 

Great for seeding, bad for crashes. That crash in DL this year almost put me off riding road for good. Almost, but not entirely... :w00t:

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I quite like the start, as it's an opportunity to get away from the stragglers ensuring a smaller bunch (bit safer too). I'm sure you would have noticed that too last week Sunday at the R4V start.

Same here. One of the few times where it helps weighing next to nothing. I could get away with the strong guys and the group was nice and compact. Was a good ride.

And I'm sure that some of the guys in that break have been in breakaways at other races this year. I was quite surprised when VA caught the Elites at the Carnival City Macsteel race earlier this year.

Ja I remember being told to back off but to be honest I think the elites where cruising as they had quite a bit further to ride. We don't normally ride as quickly as they do.

I know 2 of the guys from that break broke away at d2d last year and stayed away.

if I remember correctly, I think Spinnekop was one of those 5?

Being from one of the bigger teams I'm sure they had atleast 1 guy so it's quite possible he was.

It's what you do, or don't do, on the first 70Km that defines how you ride those last 5 bumps. They're not difficult on their own, but it's the undulating route before that catches many people out.

According to Strava:

1. Start - Pooks hill (2Km, 4%)
  2. Heartbreak hill (0.6Km, 3%)
  3. Final climb on old route (1.3Km, 3%)
  4. Up to Woodmead (5Km, 2%)
  5. The Wild's climb (1.7Km, 4%)
  6. Jan Smuts passing Republic Road (0.8Km, 6%) - doubt it's that steep, but Strava says it it.
  7. Witkoppen Road (1.7Km, 4%)
  8. Lion Park climb (1.5Km, 4.4%)
  9. Cedar Road (2.2Km, 4%)
  10. Steyn City (1.5Km, 5%)
  11. Finish (1.3Km, 4%)

attachicon.gif947.png

attachicon.gif947-2.png

All of these climbs are doable in the big chain ring, but that depends on your ability on the bike to do it 11 times over, at race pace, on a (possible) hot and (possibly) windy day. There may be lots of downhills, but if you're caught out on the climbs and have to chase back to the bunch, then it becomes a lot harder that it needs to be.

Ideal training would be to ride your normal training route of 80-100Km, then go do 20km of hill repeats on a hill that is 1.5 - 2Km long of at least 4% gradient. 8 weeks to go, so there's plenty time to apply rule #5.

I Hate "The Wilds" climb with a passion! 4% ?? I always feels like 7 or 8% to me. 

I Hate "The Wilds" climb with a passion! 4% ?? I always feels like 7 or 8% to me. 

Is "The Wilds" climb the one just off the M1 Highway where they put that stupid water station on the incline which allowed the people all to stop and block up the two lines (Whole road) so that it was extremely difficult to get through while trying to keep on riding? (Note : I came through there with the charity groups, doubt the front batches would have had so many people stopping there)

Edited by ScottC-M

Is "The Wilds" climb the one just off the M1 Highway where they put that stupid water station on the incline which allowed the people all to stop and block up the two lines (Whole road) so that it was extremely difficult to get through while trying to keep on riding? (Note : I came through there with the charity groups, doubt the from batches would have had so many people stopping there)

Thats the one. Up past St Johns College on the left...

Thats the one. Up past St Johns College on the left...

Yip, don't like that one, more for the traffic jam than anything else.

Edit: Come to think of it, now i do remember that nasty incline after coming around the corner.

Edited by ScottC-M

A change of tack.....which bits of the route, do we actually like?

My favourite - the beer tent......!

M1. Without a doubt. Riding a 4 lane highway with the smoothest tar in town, and the only sound is the humm of about 30 bike tyres around you. Bliss.

M1. Without a doubt. Riding a 4 lane highway with the smoothest tar in town, and the only sound is the humm of about 30 bike tyres around you. Bliss.

Ironically I didn't enjoy last year's M1 - the only sounds of tyres were either those that flew past me that I couldn't jump on to, or the okes behind me who wouldn't do any work, so I reacted in a typical Scots' way and went ITT! No wonder I was knackered by Nelson Mandela bridge. Hopefully lesson learnt, but then again.....

post-77414-0-04648900-1442821564.jpg

Edited by Fat Boab

:offtopic:  but anyone any idea why I can't post an image? I select the Image tool and a pop-up asks for the URL. As the image is on my HD, I'm stumped??

:offtopic:  but anyone any idea why I can't post an image? I select the Image tool and a pop-up asks for the URL. As the image is on my HD, I'm stumped??

Try "more reply options" button