2015 Momentum 947

ScottCM

Is Hill #4 after the left turn into Steyn city off Cedar Road or is it after the left turn towards Riversands?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's what you do, or don't do, on the first 70Km that defines how you ride those last 5 bumps. They're not difficult on their own, but it's the undulating route before that catches many people out.

According to Strava:

1. Start - Pooks hill (2Km, 4%)
  2. Heartbreak hill (0.6Km, 3%)
  3. Final climb on old route (1.3Km, 3%)
  4. Up to Woodmead (5Km, 2%)
  5. The Wild's climb (1.7Km, 4%)
  6. Jan Smuts passing Republic Road (0.8Km, 6%) - doubt it's that steep, but Strava says it it.
  7. Witkoppen Road (1.7Km, 4%)
  8. Lion Park climb (1.5Km, 4.4%)
  9. Cedar Road (2.2Km, 4%)
  10. Steyn City (1.5Km, 5%)
  11. Finish (1.3Km, 4%)

post-1372-0-68321700-1442571807_thumb.png

post-1372-0-84287500-1442572907_thumb.png

All of these climbs are doable in the big chain ring, but that depends on your ability on the bike to do it 11 times over, at race pace, on a (possible) hot and (possibly) windy day. There may be lots of downhills, but if you're caught out on the climbs and have to chase back to the bunch, then it becomes a lot harder that it needs to be.

Ideal training would be to ride your normal training route of 80-100Km, then go do 20km of hill repeats on a hill that is 1.5 - 2Km long of at least 4% gradient. 8 weeks to go, so there's plenty time to apply rule #5.

Edited by geraldm24

Is Hill #4 after the left turn into Steyn city off Cedar Road or is it after the left turn towards Riversands?

The Steyn City climb is inside the place, so yes after you've turned left into the main gate there, you first drop down to the river and then start the climb.

I remember this road inside Steyn City being full of traffic circles, some of which have brick paving around those circles, so they're uneven and a little dangerous when cornering around them on the downhill bits on skinny tyres. Add to this, flying through the turnstiles at a mad speed makes for 'interesting' times. For me the most dangerous place of the race, esp. with tired riders around you who aren't thinking so clearly anymore.

Edited by tombeej

The Steyn City climb is inside the place, so yes after you've turned left into the main gate there, you first drop down to the river and then start the climb.

I remember this road inside Steyn City being full of traffic circles, some of which have brick paving around those circles, so they're uneven and a little dangerous when cornering around them on the downhill bits on skinny tyres. Add to this, flying through the turnstiles at a mad speed makes for 'interesting' times. For me the most dangerous place of the race, esp. with tired riders around you who aren't thinking so clearly anymore.

:thumbup:

DON'T FORGET THE SPEED BUMPS ON THE DECEND TOO!!

Almost ended my day in the hospital thanks to those as everyone has their own way of attacking / braking / crawling over these.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by ScottC-M

It's what you do, or don't do, on the first 70Km that defines how you ride those last 5 bumps. They're not difficult on their own, but it's the undulating route before that catches many people out.

According to Strava:

1. Start - Pooks hill (2Km, 4%)
  2. Heartbreak hill (0.6Km, 3%)
  3. Final climb on old route (1.3Km, 3%)
  4. Up to Woodmead (5Km, 2%)
  5. The Wild's climb (1.7Km, 4%)
  6. Jan Smuts passing Republic Road (0.8Km, 6%) - doubt it's that steep, but Strava says it it.
  7. Witkoppen Road (1.7Km, 4%)
  8. Lion Park climb (1.5Km, 4.4%)
  9. Cedar Road (2.2Km, 4%)
  10. Steyn City (1.5Km, 5%)
  11. Finish (1.3Km, 4%)

I hated Pooks hill. Warmed up nicely before the race....went to the start early to get a nice spot, cooled down to much and then struggled to get going. Luckily I managed to stay with the bunch and after a short recovery I was fine. 

Just be clever on the day. Don't ride to hard before the climbs. Position yourself nicely before the climb, stay out the gutter and the strong boys in the bunch will pull you 3/4 up the hill before it really gets tough. Then it's just hanging on for the last couple of meters and you can recover.

In theory this works perfectly every time :whistling:  

DON'T FORGET THE SPEED BUMPS ON THE DECENT TOO!!

Almost ended my day in the hospital thanks to those as everyone has their own way of attacking / braking / crawling over these.

And bottles and tools lying everywhere! That was scary last year :eek:

DON'T FORGET THE SPEED BUMPS ON THE DECENT TOO!!

Ja agreed.

And if its rains, that whole section inside Steyn City will become very sketchy and we're going to see some accidents if people ride like idiots.

Hoping we have the same lekker weather we had last year.

Also have a huge score to settle. Rode 3h29 last year with my chain dropping twice and got stuck. according my Garmin my actual ride time was 3h20.

Last year was a horrible year training wise and weight wise. For the first time since I started cycling I trained through winter, joined a coach and am 14 kg lighter than lighter since last years race. I'm looking to drop another 5kg before the race and the training is going very well. 

I know I might be a bit optimistic but my aim is 2h50.

I had my body fat measured this morning and its down from 27.1% to 14.7%. Although I don't think the fat% is 100% accurate, the % loss is since it's done by the same person on exactly the same spots.

My total weight is constant over the last 3 weeks which means that I've lost some fat but add some lean muscle, which will come in handy with them hills.

You are not over optimistic

Unless you weigh over 100kg,you will most definitely easily do 2h50 at that bodyfat

I was trying to forget those last couple of hills, was it really necessary to come and post it here? :cursing:  :whistling:

My weekend rides (120km on Saturday and 65km on Sunday) both end with Hans Strydom in the east of Pta. The steepest section is 8%, ave is about 4.5 - 5%, I do it 1.5 times since I go back to fetch the wife.

I don't have the oemf to do it 2 or 3 times after a 120km ride. Its like 120km solo since the wife wheel suck all the time.

You are not over optimistic

Unless you weigh over 100kg,you will most definitely easily do 2h50 at that bodyfat

Currently at 95kg but hoping to get to 90 before 94.7.

As I said I don't know how accurate the % is, but the biggest positive is the drop in this. I've also lost quite some cm as well since the previous measurement which was 3 weeks ago.

I hated Pooks hill. Warmed up nicely before the race....went to the start early to get a nice spot, cooled down to much and then struggled to get going. Luckily I managed to stay with the bunch and after a short recovery I was fine. 

Just be clever on the day. Don't ride to hard before the climbs. Position yourself nicely before the climb, stay out the gutter and the strong boys in the bunch will pull you 3/4 up the hill before it really gets tough. Then it's just hanging on for the last couple of meters and you can recover.

In theory this works perfectly every time :whistling:  

I quite like the start, as it's an opportunity to get away from the stragglers ensuring a smaller bunch (bit safer too). I'm sure you would have noticed that too last week Sunday at the R4V start.

I quite like the start, as it's an opportunity to get away from the stragglers ensuring a smaller bunch (bit safer too). I'm sure you would have noticed that too last week Sunday at the R4V start.

Last year that hill at the start was where the VB break happened, I kid you not. I was VA and the 4/5(can't remember) breakaway guys caught us as we got onto the highway at woodmead. They where flying. Just after we went passed the old start the lead vehicle came up to the VA bunch and told us to move over for the breakaway.

And I'm sure that some of the guys in that break have been in breakaways at other races this year. I was quite surprised when VA caught the Elites at the Carnival City Macsteel race earlier this year.

Last year that hill at the start was where the VB break happened, I kid you not. I was VA and the 4/5(can't remember) breakaway guys caught us as we got onto the highway at woodmead. They where flying. Just after we went passed the old start the lead vehicle came up to the VA bunch and told us to move over for the breakaway.

if I remember correctly, I think Spinnekop was one of those 5?

Edited by tombeej