XT vs. SLX: Better or just more expensive?

worriesnot

You chose a component (FD) for which Shimano seems to relabel the same part as a different model.  I noticed that 10spd 105 and Ultegra FDs are exactly the same, except for the label.  Dura Ace is quite different, though (wider cage, among other things).

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

100% with you - SLX brakes are great... but there are added features on the XT over SLX; not necessarily benefits, well not for the average rider at least, but definitely more features

I started the thread looking at the XT vs. SLX front derailleur and definitely could not see any benefits / features that makes the XT better, up until the point where GoLefty pointed it out. Not an obvious difference but a difference none the less. At least now I know I did not pay more for the same derailleur with just a different sticker on it and that there is something that makes it a little better and justifies the additional cost, albeit ever so slight. 

Not looking to fight but interested in the underlined bit. Apart from the contact point adjustment and a screw, what other benefits are there to justify R1000 more money?

Not looking to fight but interested in the underlined bit. Apart from the contact point adjustment and a screw, what other benefits are there to justify R1000 more money?

aaaah... the difference between features and benefits.

First: I agree with you and also not looking to fight  :thumbup:

Point adjustment and the screw (and probably also a small weight advantage, but I am speculating here) are clear added features and in this case differences between SLX and XT.

How do you benefit from having a screw in place of a splitpin? I dunno...

How do you benefit form having the ability to fiddle with point adjustment. I dunno and probably at my skill level will never know.

So in the end; agreed!

I also don't see how the R1000 worth of features lands me to benefit / better.

Guys, relax. You made the right choice by going Shimano and not SRAM, so well done to all of you.

Now think about this, is there a bigger difference between SLX and XT or between a well cleaned, lubed, bled and maintained groupset than a neglected one?

Try cleaning/replacing dirty cables and housings on a bike with the exact same components and then meticulously adjust your gears yourself and you will be amazed at the difference.

I don't know enough about the differences to make sensible comments regarding the FD, but when it comes to the brake lever XT vs SLX debate, having the engagement point adjustment really takes allows each user to dial the brakes in to their preference. On my KTM, it took the dead sharp brakes with almost no feel, to sharp brakes with really nice progressive braking action. That really allows me to enjoy downhill descents much more now, and surely that's what we all cycle for: Enjoyment

you keep telling yourself that

I will choose XT every time but I was impressed by the quality of alivio.  Obviously they make an effort to filter the tech down.

I will choose XT every time but I was impressed by the quality of alivio.  Obviously they make an effort to filter the tech down.

Alivio is fine when it's new, but the metal is very soft and needs little persuasion to change shape.  Then it's not even a pretty desk weight. 

Only after you have done a 1x10 conversion you will realise that you never needed such a moerse granny. 

I've given a great deal of thought to 1 x 10..... but then when I slip comfortably into my moerse granny on really, really steep concrete strips, all thoughts of being unfaithful to her go right out my head  :wub:

If you cannot afford the sport don't >>> yada yada

Ja, I'm sure you're right Redlight. You keep telling yourself that.....right up to the point when the financially challenged oke with his Alivio stuff breezes past you up Breedts....

it's not about the bike (parts) boet.

Ja, I'm sure you're right Redlight. You keep telling yourself that.....right up to the point when the financially challenged oke with his Alivio stuff breezes past you up Breedts....

it's not about the bike (parts) boet.

So true.

I could have the best bike in the world and no matter what my kid would still have to wait for me at the bottom with a look of "I didn't know it was possible to take that long" on his face.

Get the good stuff if you can afford it but it's not going to stop you getting your ass handed to you by someone with actual talent.

Last weekend in the Argus I passed a LOT of people on lekka carbon bikes - and I was riding a BMX that I've never ridden before, with a 9T rear sprocket.

Money doesn't buy riding strength.  Never has.

it's not going to stop you getting your ass handed to you by someone with actual talent.

I've had my ass handed to me so many, many times ..... :blush:

I've learned to just shut up until the end of the ride..... then I gleefully hand out the verbals if I've been lucky enough to beat any of my mates (and if they're still listening to me at that point anyway  :) ). Something that doesn't happen often enough these days.

I stand to be corrected but don't the more upscale parts (SLX, XT etc) have parts you can replace as opposed to having to replace the whole unit as in the case of a broken lever or something like that?

I stand to be corrected but don't the more upscale parts (SLX, XT etc) have parts you can replace as opposed to having to replace the whole unit as in the case of a broken lever or something like that?

Good luck getting the spares from our local agent... You are correct in theory though.

Good luck getting the spares from our local agent... You are correct in theory though.

Ja, tried to get parts for a XT derailer with limited success! Had to settle for some second hand bits to see me through...