Tokai and Silvermine to remain closed to the public

News bot

SANP may well have some pics up on their site or forums.

As far as Jonkers is concerned, I was advised by the Stellies trailbuliding FB page that it is open but that most single track is still dangerous and damaged.

This created the impression in my mind at least that these tracks are open but it would not be advisable to ride them. 

If anybody has been out there exploring or has a a clearer statement of what is actually legally open to ride at Jonkers, please post it.

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I rode Jonkers about 3 weeks ago. The fire was still smouldering in a number of places!  :eek:

There is a map at the gate indicating where you can ride and where not. I think it is on another thread here - perhaps on on Jonkers. Nevertheless, it seems the loop is all OK and anything pretty much past an imaginary line  across the valley from where the trees end on the Fire Hut side. So it seems that, for example, it's OK to ride up HeartBreak Hill but not past the trees to the left.

Here's what fire Hut looks like from across the valley...

post-43622-0-63387500-1429104551_thumb.jpg

Thanks, every bit as bad as Tokai by the look of it. Hopefully the little bit of rain will have damped down any remnants of the fire...

Bobby Behan of Spaz fame posted pics of a ride at Jonkers last week. The place is gutted like Tokai but he rode the never ending story  single track and advised that Ace Of Spades will be in there shortly to start sorting out the rest of our favourite trails. #sonotTMNP.

Good news for us.

Bobby Behan of Spaz fame posted pics of a ride at Jonkers last week. The place is gutted like Tokai but he rode the never ending story  single track and advised that Ace Of Spades will be in there shortly to start sorting out the rest of our favourite trails. #sonotTMNP.

Good news for us.

If Sanp is to be believed any riding in tokai could result in certain death ranging from land slides to falling into to pits of live coals and who knows what else

the trail looks like it is being used regularly in the first pic

From Bennett:

Aceofspades Bennet Nel

Hi people

Jonkershoek reserve is open. No singletrack is officially open. Too dangerous. 

Neverending story will be opened in the beginning of may. The very top will be closed indefinitely until plan can be made at portage sections.

Felling will commence on the fire hut trail early may. Absolutely no entry that side then. I have been told that if any complaints are heard from felling contractor, the reserve will be closed for cycling. If there is a no entry sign is up turn around. Even on weekend and no cutting, turn around at the sign.

If someone tells you to turn around, turn around. People need to respect this. Be patient. If we mess this up by rogue riding, things could stop completely until they are done felling at year end.

There is a map at the gate. Ask the man at the gate to point it out. There is a green and red zone. Green we may use but may not backtrack on a contour road into red. Red area means none of the main climbs or double black diamond or any canaries. This is for 6 months minimum. I aim to get some signage up early May when we officially open Neverending.

Specialized are paying for this first work. If all goes well, we start this week still

From Bennett:

Aceofspades Bennet Nel

Hi people

Jonkershoek reserve is open. No singletrack is officially open. Too dangerous. 

Neverending story will be opened in the beginning of may. The very top will be closed indefinitely until plan can be made at portage sections.

Felling will commence on the fire hut trail early may. Absolutely no entry that side then. I have been told that if any complaints are heard from felling contractor, the reserve will be closed for cycling. If there is a no entry sign is up turn around. Even on weekend and no cutting, turn around at the sign.

If someone tells you to turn around, turn around. People need to respect this. Be patient. If we mess this up by rogue riding, things could stop completely until they are done felling at year end.

There is a map at the gate. Ask the man at the gate to point it out. There is a green and red zone. Green we may use but may not backtrack on a contour road into red. Red area means none of the main climbs or double black diamond or any canaries. This is for 6 months minimum. I aim to get some signage up early May when we officially open Neverending.

Specialized are paying for this first work. If all goes well, we start this week still

Ai tog Captain..............this is too long and complicated for most people to read and adhere to, much easier to just see the first sentence and ignore the rest......where is that sarcasm font again? ;)

Tokai, where's that again?

I've kind of forgotten about it. It's actually a good thing in a way, I regularly felt a pang of moral pain when thinking about the fact that I was directly funding ineptitude and bureaucratic bungling by paying to ride there.

Yup, plenty of other places to go instead.

Tokai, where's that again?

I've kind of forgotten about it. It's actually a good thing in a way, I regularly felt a pang of moral pain when thinking about the fact that I was directly funding ineptitude and bureaucratic bungling by paying to ride there.

Yup, plenty of other places to go instead.

that's some seriously eloquent truthsaying Martin  :thumbup:

................... I regularly felt a pang of moral pain when thinking about the fact that I was directly funding ineptitude and bureaucratic bungling................

....almost thought you were talking about our taxes...... :ph34r:

Apparently SANParks are meeting on 5 May to give feedback on when the mountain will open.

I haven't seen any info on the TokaiMTB FB page or twitter

This from the Trail and Tar newsletter

"SANPARKS TOKAI meeting!!!

PLEASE folks, ensure that you make the effort to attend the meeting on 5th May at 19:30 at The Range, in Tokai. Sanparks will be giving feedback on when the mountain will re open, and we need to be there to show our displeasure as to how badly this whole thing has been handled.

If you are unhappy, make sure that you are there to have you voice heard!!!"

Nothing on the SANPARKS FB feed regarding that, nor their twitter feed. 

SANParks rarely has anything of value on their social media.

Maybe the Trail runners are just being more pro-active

I see that TokaiMTB has posted it now

Notice for Table Mountain National Park talk: 5 May, 7:30pm, The Range.

"The Zwaanswyk Association of Property Owners would like to extend an invitation to Tokai residents [and others affected by reserve closures] to attend a talk by Gavin Bell of SANParks on the 5th May at 7.30pm at The Range. He will be talking about the closure of the park, rehabilitation plans and possible land-slides that could happen as a result of all the tree clearances.

There will be a cash bar and it is hoped that people can stay after the talk and socialize together."

Edited by Flowta