Tokai and Silvermine to remain closed to the public

News bot

Um, can't say it any other way, they are taking out all the trees, everything is usable. Of course they are still working to a plan so will work from top down/or down up.. what ever it is. Possibly with all the extra teams they may even work from left to right??

I get that Deon,but if as you say the after a few months the timber may become unusable, would it not make sense to tackle the affected trees first?

If there are a few unaffected in a compartment they are harvesting, then cool. But if majority of a compartment are not burnt, leave that for later. 

Maybe it requires too much thinking, or maybe I'm asking "STUPID" questions (in which case I'm sorry).

I'll have to have a closer look to see which "significant portion of levels 4 and 5 have been cleared". 

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On a positive note, it seems that some previously restricted areas within TMNP will be open to MTB on trial basis in the near future, thanks to Rob Vogel of Table Mountain Bikers

I get that Deon,but if as you say the after a few months the timber may become unusable, would it not make sense to tackle the affected trees first?

If there are a few unaffected in a compartment they are harvesting, then cool. But if majority of a compartment are not burnt, leave that for later. 

Maybe it requires too much thinking, or maybe I'm asking "STUPID" questions (in which case I'm sorry).

I'll have to have a closer look to see which "significant portion of levels 4 and 5 have been cleared". 

I haven't really notices any difference in the upper forest but will take a closer look today

i've been told that steenberg golf course are expecting to only half 9 viable golf holes during the winter. such is the increased runoff/watertable now that the super suckers up the hilll have been harvested/burned.

On a positive note, it seems that some previously restricted areas within TMNP will be open to MTB on trial basis in the near future, thanks to Rob Vogel of Table Mountain Bikers

You're right, the literally hundreds of hours applied by mountain bike reps is starting to bear fruit. It is of course still a trial and this is where you can play your part.

You're right, the literally hundreds of hours applied by mountain bike reps is starting to bear fruit. It is of course still a trial and this is where you can play your part.

Its amazing what Rob has managed to do in the time period compared to Tokai

Rob is also getting a fair bit of traction with his proposal for the Green Belts

Tokai is closed to us, so it would follow that not much is happening on the ground in there.

Just because the committee are not shouting from the rooftops doesn't mean that nothing is happening or no progress is being made.There has been a lot of work put in and things are moving forward.

In answer to earlier questions regarding the trees - what difference does it make to us as riders whether the healthy or burned trees are being removed first? By the time we get back in there to ride all of them will be gone, the order in which they are taken means nothing to us as a user group.

I saw a truck and double trailer of pine trunks come past my house today in muizenberg. Most weren't burned but a few were black. If you take a close look at the mountain there are several areas that are coming out at the same time. The Pumptrack at Uitsig is a great vantage point...

I'm not referring to the last few months I'm just talking in general. I don't expect anything to happen in tokai right now. Just comparing tokai and table mountain it appears things are moving there as apposed to Tokai where even before the fire not much much was happening. Well not visibility anyway. We even have less trails than what we had before

I'm not referring to the last few months I'm just talking in general. I don't expect anything to happen in tokai right now. Just comparing tokai and table mountain it appears things are moving there as apposed to Tokai where even before the fire not much much was happening. Well not visibility anyway. We even have less trails than what we had before

Apples = Oranges? Nope!

Okay then what can you personally do to help speed things up?

I'm not being sarcastic here, if you have something to offer or can improve and speed up the progress let us know and help get stuff done efficiently.

Okay then what can you personally do to help speed things up?

I'm not being sarcastic here, if you have something to offer or can improve and speed up the progress let us know and help get stuff done efficiently.

Follow Rob Vogel's lead?

Don't just accept what they say. Challenge them on thing. Criticise. This has been said before, even within the committee

Edited by Flowta

The question was what can you bring that helps?

You do want to help don't you?

Edit - you edit quickly ..

We are working on a lot and if it bears fruit it will be well worth the wait.