Tokai and Silvermine to remain closed to the public

News bot

SANParks rarely has anything of value on their social media.

Maybe the Trail runners are just being more pro-active

Because telling people to go and whinge is pro-active?

Or would be putting together a comprehensive proposal be pro-active?

I know which one I would rather have happen.

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because telling people to go and whinge is pro-active?

Or would be putting together a comprehensive proposal be pro-active?

I know which one I would rather have happen.

"Whinge" is all you got from that?

Proper feedback is more what I'm looking for. That and a show of interest from the public

Sorry but AFAIK your proposal doesn't have anything to do with when the mountain will be open (trails going forward maybe). How far along is this said proposal?

"Whinge" is all you got from that?

Proper feedback is more what I'm looking for. That and a show of interest from the public

Sorry but AFAIK your proposal doesn't have anything to do with when the mountain will be open (trails going forward maybe). How far along is this said proposal?

I got whinge from the Trail Runners approach, not you.

The proposal is pretty close - going through some last minute edits as we speak.

Regarding getting access I really don't think any of us are going to make much of a dent in parks timetable. That's nothing official just my gut instinct.

Any idea how the progress of the Harvesting is going?

I understand that some of the lower forest has had some harvesting.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't look like they've done anything in the upper forest.

Several loads of Pine leaves each day. Routes are via Baden Powell or N2 headed out to Stellenbosch depot. Last truck exits at sundown and work continues over weekends and public holidays. 

A significant portion of levels 4 and 5 have been cleared, and as you say, the Orpen rd blocks are also being felled. 

I could be mistaken but I was sure a load turning onto the N2 yesterday was gum.. 

From Bennett:

Aceofspades Bennet Nel

Hi people

Jonkershoek reserve is open. No singletrack is officially open. Too dangerous. 

Neverending story will be opened in the beginning of may. The very top will be closed indefinitely until plan can be made at portage sections.

Felling will commence on the fire hut trail early may. Absolutely no entry that side then. I have been told that if any complaints are heard from felling contractor, the reserve will be closed for cycling. If there is a no entry sign is up turn around. Even on weekend and no cutting, turn around at the sign.

If someone tells you to turn around, turn around. People need to respect this. Be patient. If we mess this up by rogue riding, things could stop completely until they are done felling at year end.

There is a map at the gate. Ask the man at the gate to point it out. There is a green and red zone. Green we may use but may not backtrack on a contour road into red. Red area means none of the main climbs or double black diamond or any canaries. This is for 6 months minimum. I aim to get some signage up early May when we officially open Neverending.

Specialized are paying for this first work. If all goes well, we start this week still

YUSSIS, if people get caught messing this up for us then they must be lynched(or a vigilante gang must be setup and force them to ride supermarket dualsussers). 

Well there are literally truck loads of trees coming out on a daily basis so its happening, but its still a massive area to clear

Like I said, I could be wrong. Have you seen them yourself? Also are they from the burnt areas or still healthy timber?

It would be interesting to get an idea of percentage (i.e which areas have been cleared)

Like I said, I could be wrong. Have you seen them yourself? Also are they from the burnt areas or still healthy timber?

It would be interesting to get an idea of percentage (i.e which areas have been cleared)

All the timber would still be healthy. It will take several months before the trees are unusable but even then, CP are still held to the contract to clear the pine - although the urgency would be reduced which won't work in our favour. 

All the timber would still be healthy. It will take several months before the trees are unusable but even then, CP are still held to the contract to clear the pine - although the urgency would be reduced which won't work in our favour. 

I'm asking whether it is burnt trees that they are taking out? There are some sections that haven't been burnt and are still green

I'm asking whether it is burnt trees that they are taking out? There are some sections that haven't been burnt and are still green

I was also surprised to see how many green patches were left after the fire, amazing if you consider the way it burnt, that there is even a scrap left.  :eek:

Um, can't say it any other way, they are taking out all the trees, everything is usable. Of course they are still working to a plan so will work from top down/or down up.. what ever it is. Possibly with all the extra teams they may even work from left to right??

I'm confused. This started off being about Tokai and now it seems we are talking about Jonkers. Just what is going on at Tokai? Any trees coming out of there?

I'm confused. This started off being about Tokai and now it seems we are talking about Jonkers. Just what is going on at Tokai? Any trees coming out of there?

Still talking about tokai...

Same thing happening at Jonkers though. Intensive logging, for the same reason.