Tokai and Silvermine to remain closed to the public

News bot

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The expert told us that they specifically would NOT plant Silver Trees for that exact reason. 

I might have 'planted a seed' about where the 200 saplings should go given the timeframe before the first burns in the area. 

Covered in Alien. One of the WfW guys giving a sense of scale.

attachicon.gif20160415_Tokai.jpg

#aliensmustburn (but in a controlled manner so that they don't burn too hot and destroy the precious fynbos seeds below)

I am struggling to get my head around the alien pine forest being removed only to be replaced by a new and different one.

And then the big fire

And all the admin and politics after that

All the while we cant ride there

Please, oh please, can we fast forward a bit to where awesome single tracks are open.

I am tired of riding to the Block House and along the front of Table Mountain.

#Tokaimustrise

Edited by splat

Umm...Ok? Not sure what's so funny

I just find it highly ironic, that's all. The answer to a non-prescribed burn, which took place at a time when the prescribed burn was overdue, is to do another burn... Only this time, it'll be prescribed. So different to a non prescribed burn in that it's... prescribed. 

A burn to fix the burn to fix the... Oh wait. Nevermind... I know ehat Parks will say to that. 

Sigh. 

#aliensmustfall

Edited by Myles Mayhew

huh?

I feel they are not trying harder enough to do something about it. They take forever to get rid of Pine trees and now the aliens are growing all over. They can't even tell us when we can use paths... Excuses! Bla bla!  

Come on, give us that piece of land and we can make it work...   

Come on, give us that piece of land and we can make it work...   

Aaaah.

We

They

Them

My favorite words when it comes to trails.

With respect. A few years ago a piece of land on the Southern Peninsula was offered to Mountain Bikers with Carte Blanche to build trail.

At the kick off meeting 2 people showed up. So no. WE can't make it work. WE as a community can't organize a sh@g in a brothel.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Aaaah.

We

They

Them

My favorite words when it comes to trails.

With respect. A few years ago a piece of land on the Southern Peninsula was offered to Mountain Bikers with Carte Blanche to build trail.

At the kick off meeting 2 people showed up. So no. WE can't make it work. WE as a community can't organize a sh@g in a brothel.

Reto & Vince, wasn't it? Add to that that the trees aren't actually theirs to remove, nor is the speed at which the independent contractors remove all the pine. The contract still has a number of years to run before they (the contractors) "MUST" remove all the trees. 

Parks are in charge of and planning for the removal of the aliens. It's just a much bigger problem than I think anyone thought it would be. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Reto & Vince, wasn't it? 

No this was pre blackhill.

Vince, The land owner and the guy trying to facilitate. The guy trying to facilitate's business folded thereafter than the opportunity was lost.

Hence my comment.

As you know the general rule around this stuff is we make a fat noise on the internet but when it comes to actually getting involved....... My family, I have a job. etc etc etc.

And then there's my faves. Them, They, We (We actually means Them. but I'll accept credit as I am part of the community)

Having said all of that I was not at the meeting.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

I just find it highly ironic, that's all. The answer to a non-prescribed burn, which took place at a time when the prescribed burn was overdue, is to do another burn... Only this time, it'll be prescribed. So different to a non prescribed burn in that it's... prescribed. 

A burn to fix the burn to fix the... Oh wait. Nevermind... I know ehat Parks will say to that. 

Sigh.

Something like  - "well aliens loved the burn even more than the precious fynbos  so now we have to go to plan B - weed killer" Or maybe "f..k off we don't want your comments on the environmental disaster that is Tokai, you guys are the enemy of all things green and pretty, just like aliens"  

Now  imagine if we had been riding in Tokai for six months already. Vasbyt and others would probably be alien free thanks to trail,build and alien clearing work parties. The longer it gets left the more growth there is and the harder and more expensive it is to remove. We saw this happening on Mamba before the fire...

Edited by Headshot

Something like  - "well aliens loved the burn even more than the precious fynbos  so now we have to go to plan B - weed killer" Or maybe "f..k off we don't want your comments on the environmental disaster that is Tokai, you guys are the enemy of all things green and pretty, just like aliens"  

Now  imagine if we had been riding in Tokai for six months already. Vasbyt and others would probably be alien free thanks to trail,build and alien clearing work parties. The longer it gets left the more growth there is and the harder and more expensive it is to remove. We saw this happening on Mamba before the fire...

Well that was a good stretch of the imagination. On the last build day, how many people did you see pulling aliens? 

Well that was a good stretch of the imagination. On the last build day, how many people did you see pulling aliens?  

You may be right, but I think a bit of goodwill would have existed if TMNP had opened Tokai sooner and there may have been a bit more pulling than before. Or we would maybe have raised some funds to pay someone else to do that or maybe TMNP would have been compelled to spend some money. By the look of it we are seeing Tokai going further downhill making scoping of trails and rebuilds harder by the month.