Tokai and Silvermine to remain closed to the public

News bot

:huh:...ok? 

I think what he meant to say was the alien growth "isn't a problem" Not that its not our problem, but I'm happy with either.

Just means it wan't really an issue whether you pitched and pulled aliens or not ( so not sure why that comment was made). 

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah well. I saw that as more factual considering I did not see him at any of the builds, certainly in 2014. Besides, we pulled aliens on every build but then you wouldn't know this either.

Here's two tweets calling for help. Total (mountain biker) turnout - or should I not state the obvious?

https://twitter.com/AMA_TokaiMTB/status/690898703406764032 

Deon, you have a low opinion of your fellow cyclists. Not the ideal attitude for an MTB rep I'd say.  

Very nice tweets but we weren't invited to Rebello's alien pull were we? That's an after the fact tweet. I have never seen an invite or those tweets of yours.  In fact if mountain bikers want to look around Tokai they get fined for entering illegally. I guess if they had a pulling permit, all would have been okay? And its amazing how all those civilians were safely able to negotiate the dangerous tree fellers and falling trees to access Tokai to pull some aliens. Maybe an invite from TMNP to have a look around and pull some aliens out to the MTB community would have got a better result? 

yeah but Dave, you're one of the few that will actually follow that up and pitch on the day... You have to admit that the ratio of physically active vs verbally active is so low it's laughable. If you say "we're pulling aliens this weekend" it'll be even worse...

Who the hell do you think you are??

My job and family don't allow me to go to build often. When I can I go. The fact you that you haven't seen me means **** all to me.

Interesting juxtaposition that's at the heart of the matter. I wonder how many of us sit with the same choice when there's a build day or AGM looming? It's definitely important for people to be involved in their families than any other thing for the rather obvious exception of work. Being involved in the community is important also though. So ultimately each one of us need to find that balance.

Sent from my GT-S6790 using Tapatalk

this the first time i see info regarding the alien pull. I also just brushed it off when I saw Tony Rebelo's name. 

Ah well. I saw that as more factual considering I did not see him at any of the builds, certainly in 2014. Besides, we pulled aliens on every build but then you wouldn't know this either.

Here's two tweets calling for help. Total (mountain biker) turnout - or should I not state the obvious?

https://twitter.com/AMA_TokaiMTB/status/690898703406764032 

How can we get involved in these alien pulls/pulling?

How can we get involved in these alien pulls/pulling?

Great question. I think they are working in the lower plantation again but with enough response they can organize an upper slopes effort. Friends of Tokai Park meet every second Thursday (I think it's Thursday) and there is usually a few days notice on their Facebook page. TokaiMTB also retweets and shares any work that gets done on the upper slopes so you have a few places where the info is passed on.

Great question. I think they are working in the lower plantation again but with enough response they can organize an upper slopes effort. Friends of Tokai Park meet every second Thursday (I think it's Thursday) and there is usually a few days notice on their Facebook page. TokaiMTB also retweets and shares any work that gets done on the upper slopes so you have a few places where the info is passed on.

Where's the specific invite to the MTB community to get involved? Come on make it happen Deon - we'll all come and pull. Or is it really all irrelevant but a convenient issue to berate the MTB community with? 

Deon, you have a low opinion of your fellow cyclists. Not the ideal attitude for an MTB rep I'd say.

Very nice tweets but we weren't invited to Rebello's alien pull were we? That's an after the fact tweet. I have never seen an invite or those tweets of yours. In fact if mountain bikers want to look around Tokai they get fined for entering illegally. I guess if they had a pulling permit, all would have been okay? And its amazing how all those civilians were safely able to negotiate the dangerous tree fellers and falling trees to access Tokai to pull some aliens. Maybe an invite from TMNP to have a look around and pull some aliens out to the MTB community would have got a better result?

I think as individuals we also have some responsibility of finding out. You were most definitely invited. It's one of the few places you are not a walker, walker with dog, horse rider, mountain biker, anything other than someone who cares.

you are welcome to look around where the group is working as much as you like.

I do actually remember that Facebook post go up.. was out of town at the time but do remember it.

Sorry man, things like this should be posted in a place like this where it affects a cycling community. Although I have a facebook and a twitter account, I hardly ever actually make use of it. Cycling and 4x4 forums and then everything else is work. There is just no time for other online communities and dont want any other time available to these time suck tell everyone what you are up websites.

People that really wanna get hold of me either call, sms, whatsapp or email me.

Not that I could help anyway, but I most likely could have contributed to someones wage for the day to do the work

Edited by Eddy Gordo

I think as individuals we also have some responsibility of finding out. You were most definitely invited. It's one of the few places you are not a walker, walker with dog, horse rider, mountain biker, anything other than someone who cares.

you are welcome to look around where the group is working as much as you like.

Whaaat are you on? I was most definitely invited? Utter nonsense. Never seen an invite or did I fail to follow FB or twitter closely enough. What does your third sentence actually mean?

Come on, stop telling MTBers how *** they are and organize a meet in upper Tokai where we can come and show TMNP (and you) how we feel about aliens and the trails? 

And try and understand how the pullers can access a supposedly deadly part of the mountain but we can't. And get the stats on tree fellers killed and machinery destroyed during the logging process. 

edit - just read the FB post for the first time. So no I wasn't personally invited. Had I seen this I may well have joined in just to get access to Tokai to see what the trails look like. 

Funny how they talk about an indemnity for the pullers - the same indemnity all cyclists could sign to get access and which would cover TMNP in case they were injured while riding. 

The more you see the more it stinks.

Edited by Headshot

this the first time i see info regarding the alien pull. I also just brushed it off when I saw Tony Rebelo's name. 

Tony Rebelo is the possibly THE expert on fynbos and the conservation thereof. What he says get listened to. Whether you like him or not, brushing him off is always going to be at your own peril. Working with him (as some of those getting severely criticized here have done) made us mountain bikers a friend in conservation circles. Who knows how valuable that will be when we want to build single track through the new fynbos? Just saying! :)

Tony Rebelo is the possibly THE expert on fynbos and the conservation thereof. What he says get listened to. Whether you like him or not, brushing him off is always going to be at your own peril. Working with him (as some of those getting severely criticized here have done) made us mountain bikers a friend in conservation circles. Who knows how valuable that will be when we want to build single track through the new fynbos? Just saying! :)

Last time, correct me if I am wrong but only people in the tokai area were invited. Was it the same this time?

Why hasnt the invite been put out to the town? announced on a radio station, some of them would willingly or at least a DJ would plug the need for volunteers.

Anyways, someone will eventually say, if you really interested in helping blah blah blah then you would make an effort to stay in touch etc.

I have signed up on the Tokai Mtb Web page a long time back to receive notifications. I have only received one email notice to date. 

The process is flawed some where along the lines, and to get upset when a small amount of people show up for a build or an alien pulling event is not necessary.

Catch 22. I think publicly advertising this could work against the whole drive. Imagine if too many people pitch and have to be turned away. That would be the end of it.